Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by painintheuk
We had to deal with 10 degrees and sunny in YYJ yesterday. Where is the sympathy for that? I have to remember this when I look at property back east!
That's why we are looking at property near YYJ! The way the market is now though, not living on the island you almost have to buy from images alone.
Anything worth buying is gone in a few days.
From what I understand, that is true in any desirable market across the country right now.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
That's why we are looking at property near YYJ! The way the market is now though, not living on the island you almost have to buy from images alone.
Anything worth buying is gone in a few days.
From what I understand, that is true in any desirable market across the country right now.
It's truly a crazy market. In our nighbourhood I think that we've had 3 houses go more than $200k over asking in just the last week or so. And I thought the asking prices were already high.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Snaccident

Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:40 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Speaking of Kit Kats, I had a Kit Kat ice cream bar yesterday in Whistler. A bit sweet, but it wasn't bad.

Mind you, anything tastes good after four hours of snowshoeing in the mountains.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Awesome and what a dad. What a great idea.

Ont. man builds 'ultimate Canadian backyard' for son

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=...1&binPageNum=1

Yhztraveller likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Jan 24, 2022 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A potential upcoming member of the herd just pronounced ICAO as "eye cow".
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Lower Decks is pretty hilarious.
You don't need to be canon-knowledgeable to like it, but if you are it makes it even better, by a long shot. If you're not paying complete attention (or even if you are), you could miss several references/pokes within a 60 second span.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
A potential upcoming member of the herd
Is the "herd" like a fraternity, or a country club??

Do you need a recommendation/references?? membership application? Probationary period? Inappropriate initiation ceremony?

What are the benefits? Do you get a leather jacket with the herd logo on it, like a biker gang?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Is the "herd" like a fraternity, or a country club??
A little bit of both.

Do you need a recommendation/references?? membership application? Probationary period? Inappropriate initiation ceremony?
No application, no recommendation/references, no probationary period. You just need to be selected by the herd master.

There is no formal ceremony, but the initiation is always done in international F. So far it's been done in NH F and LH F for the two members. I may push for SQ F for the next one, but given issues that are better suited for the SQ forum, I may have to fall back to NH.

What are the benefits? Do you get a leather jacket with the herd logo on it, like a biker gang?
​​​​​​​
No jackets, but substantial benefits.

See the above about the F flight

​​​​​​​Everyone in the herd has had at least one F trip paid for by me.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:56 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Everyone in the herd has had at least one F trip paid for by me.
Well done. I don't know if I like anyone that much.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:14 pm
Suspended

There was some consideration given to doing some housekeeping today. The .xls kind did not inspired me.

While this form of housekeeping was also on the list, it too did not inspire me.

But chocolate always inspires. Can also be a great motivational tool.

Ahhhhhh. 😂🍫😋

Boudoir photo.

Also....

Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So my last surviving grandparent, my grandmother, passed away at 102 years old this morning. I guess I only get to fly one more time to see Grandma, then I will no longer be an FOTSG.

​​​​​
Condolences. Two of my grandparents were already dead before I was born. My maternal grandmother passed when I was five or six. My paternal grandfather died when I was 12 and only lived near us in his remaining years. So I don't have many memories. I'm glad you had your adult years with her. All the best.

And, we all have a bit of FOTSG in us, always.
Nitehawk, 24left and Yhztraveller like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: TK *G
I took 0 flight in 2020, and exactly one flight in 2021, and that wasn’t for visiting my grandma. So on average I am an FHTSG, aka Fly Half time a year To See Gate agent.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
For the choc lovers, I thought Christy's chocolates in Burlington (christysgourmetgifts.com) was quite nice and tasted like 'real' choc. Tried it at a wine tasting in Niagara. And no, I do not own it nor am I a shill for them. Might pay them a visit when I am bored and when my better half lets me (apparently I still look like Santa) as I have not been to the store yet, just bought a few packets of different choc/bark at the wine tasting. Liked the sponge bark.
tcook052 and 24left like this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I tried a very interesting bourbon last night at my friend's cabin. It was called "Howler Head" and it was infused with natural banana flavour. I will admit that I was initially skeptical, but I actually found the combination worked quite well. We enjoyed it on the rocks with dessert and the pairing of it with brownie and whipped cream was really good.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.