Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Well the good news based on that pic is that you didn't have to spend 2 hours clearing your roof like I did today.
Couple of heavy storms left us with thigh deep snow and some nasty widow makers overhanging. One part of the roof slid down two nights ago and left a mound about 8X8 by 4' high just outside our side door.
Prius? My wife's did not like deep snow. Traction control was too sensitive.
This was fluffy snow with a strong wind, so nothing significant collected on the roof. Everything is frozen solid now, since we've had rain and then a drop to -20 C.

The Prius Prime is new, so I haven't tried it in deep snow yet. Maybe I never will, since I can usually avoid driving at all if the weather is bad. I got a new car in November after using a dead deer as a ramp to get a little air in the Camry. That sort of thing looks fun on video, but is quite scary when it is not part of the plan.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Got me a bottle of JW Black for xmas.

My own dime for Red is a huge letdown.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I’m a bit shocked at how many companies are still insisting on people being in the office full time. I simply cannot be convinced it’s necessary.

Many of us here (Pre-Covid) spend 75% of our time away and still manage to get the work done.

Interviewed for a job that sounded interesting but it ended quickly when that came up. The headhunter had called it a remote opportunity but what I guess he meant was “until Covid is over”.

I have a good friend who works at an office who decided to implement punch cards. Now. In this day and age. How tone deaf can a company be?

I tell my staff I don’t care. Be available during office hours as much as possible, but if you are going to the doctor or to pick the kids up or have a rare chance for a lunch date with your SO or…you get it. I don’t need to hear about it. If your work gets done the rest is your business.

What’s the situation for others?
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My only issue is when I actually need to interact with someone, but they're at the doctor or picking up the kids or on a lunch date every day during normal office hours.

I think if you're going to work from home, it should still be expected that you're available during regular working hours.

This is, of course, only in professions where communication is useful. But I disagree with a lot of people on whether that's useful in my profession.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:08 am

And here we go again,

I hate winter

The drifting is a little more advantageous this week, but at least 30 cm more fell over night. I texted a farmer that I know to come with his tractor/snowblower. I hope this doesn't turn in to another 2015.

Winter 2015 was a nasty one
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:37 am

Two passes with the big blower and he was done. I imagine this gives a nice bit of winter income to farmers who need a the tractor anyway.

No half measures here
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I’m a bit shocked at how many companies are still insisting on people being in the office full time. I simply cannot be convinced it’s necessary.

Many of us here (Pre-Covid) spend 75% of our time away and still manage to get the work done.

Interviewed for a job that sounded interesting but it ended quickly when that came up. The headhunter had called it a remote opportunity but what I guess he meant was “until Covid is over”.

I have a good friend who works at an office who decided to implement punch cards. Now. In this day and age. How tone deaf can a company be?

I tell my staff I don’t care. Be available during office hours as much as possible, but if you are going to the doctor or to pick the kids up or have a rare chance for a lunch date with your SO or…you get it. I don’t need to hear about it. If your work gets done the rest is your business.

What’s the situation for others?
If I need to be AFK during work hours, I block my calendar and update my Slack status. Though there is a difference between going out for 1 hour vs going out for 6 hours… For people who happen to have lots of meetings, it’s a bit difficult to be away during working hours though.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:14 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
smallmj - That's a serious snowblower and very serious snow.

Remind me again, why is everyone moving out there? Other than for the charming locals and Blueberry Grunt, that is.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Remind me again, why is everyone moving out there? Other than for the charming locals and Blueberry Grunt, that is.
​​​​​​Is any other reason needed?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:06 pm

smallmj - That's a serious snowblower and very serious snow.

Blueberry Grunt and house prices are enough. House prices have skyrocketed in the last two years, but they are still a bargain compared to some areas (especially away from Halifax).
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
CFA's have my assessment going up 23% this year.

But maybe they will being some hot pot and decent Mexican food.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by smallmj
Winter 2015 was a nasty one
That brought back memories - this was our PEI road in 2015. Not as bad today but there hasn't been a plow out since yesterday, so let's hope there are no emergencies..

Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:25 pm

Had some real East Coast problems tonight. We ran out of donair sauce before the garlic fingers were finished. OH, THE HUMANITY!!!
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by smallmj
Had some real East Coast problems tonight. We ran out of donair sauce before the garlic fingers were finished. OH, THE HUMANITY!!!
Although it's probably under 10 feet of snow right now, your current crisis evokes back some very fond memories of this locale:

Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Although it's probably under 10 feet of snow right now, your current crisis evokes back some very fond memories of this locale:

I'll have to post an updated photo when I am in YHZ this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.