Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Day 6.

Interesting how the mind works.

Conceptualized the solution in 10 minutes, another 20 to implement. And then off by 1 (..4) errors. Finally broke down and checked the subreddit, and everyone was celebrating their 4 minute solutions. I'll admit to glancing at a solution (in a different language). Dammit. It is something of a trivia game.. I remembered pop() and push() (actually, append()), but perhaps remembering shift() would have gotten me down a path to thinking that uniq() worked.

48 minutes.
Pretty pleased today ... less than 10 minutes, with part 2 taking just a handful of seconds.

I actually didn't use a queue or shift/rotate function ... I used a different approach entirely. This is my key function:

Spoiler

Last edited by canopus27; Dec 6, 2022 at 8:57 am Reason: Added code
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Anyone here still use cheques? I was chasing a clients for a payment, turns out they mailed me a cheque rather than sending an EFT. I was surprised at the large number of cheques I saw going out on their monthly bank statements when I had been looking at them a couple weeks ago, but hoped/assumed those were to old people do were used to getting their monthly royalty payments or surface rents or whatever via cheque and didn't want to change, but maybe not.

I used to oversee the treasury group of a decent-sized company, and I had had my team get us down to about 1-2 cheques a year (well, in Canada... South America was a different game, but I didn't have to sign those ones, so I was less worried about those ). And I used my last personal cheque earlier this year, having not ordered any in over a decade.
When I was renting I had to mail a check. Or rather, I had to schedule a check to be mailed from my bank.

Since then, I can't remember my last one. It's quite rare.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Anyone here still use cheques? I was chasing a clients for a payment, turns out they mailed me a cheque rather than sending an EFT. I was surprised at the large number of cheques I saw going out on their monthly bank statements when I had been looking at them a couple weeks ago, but hoped/assumed those were to old people do were used to getting their monthly royalty payments or surface rents or whatever via cheque and didn't want to change, but maybe not.

I used to oversee the treasury group of a decent-sized company, and I had had my team get us down to about 1-2 cheques a year (well, in Canada... South America was a different game, but I didn't have to sign those ones, so I was less worried about those ). And I used my last personal cheque earlier this year, having not ordered any in over a decade.
My cheques have an address on it I last lived at 20 years ago... And since maybe 15 years ago they have all exclusively been used to send someone void cheques.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
My cheques have an address on it I last lived at 20 years ago... And since maybe 15 years ago they have all exclusively been used to send someone void cheques.
If I need a "void cheque" I just download a pdf from my mobile app and send it to whoever I am dealing with. I've done it sitting at a car dealership. Cheques I only use for large amounts of money. Those that exceed my daily or weekly limit that my bank allows for EFT's
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:32 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

The only merchants I use that require personal cheques are my dentist (very old school) and some home contractors. Other than that it's CCs, EFTs and bank drafts or SWIFT transfers for large sums.

But this is a topical post as I was just asked my new employer if I wanted to get paid with an actual hardcopy cheque. It seems that about 50% of their contract talent chose that option, which struck me as really odd.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
My partner's employer, a small business, did payroll monthly with handwritten cheques until this year.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Some stores like grocery stores in US still accept cheques (or “checks” as they are so eloquently known here).

It’s absolutely infuriating to be behind someone writing out a cheque to pay $3 for some milk and then realising they used the wrong chequebook and have to start again.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by D582
Some stores like grocery stores in US still accept cheques (or “checks” as they are so eloquently known here).

It’s absolutely infuriating to be behind someone writing out a cheque to pay $3 for some milk and then realising they used the wrong chequebook and have to start again.
Could be worse, they could be searching through their clutch purse looking for the extra three cents (I think the US still has pennies) to pay for their $3 milk, plus tax.
D582 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Anyone here still use cheques?
​​​​​​I think I wrote a personal check out in... 2018? More often than not writing a check would involve flying somewhere to dust off an ancient checkbook.

If I'm in a hurry it is easier (and free) to have Fidelity send a UPS overnight check or same day domestic or int'l wire.
D582 likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 6, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
It said "any" language. Can I do it in Excel?
Someone is attempting to:

https://github.com/askholme/advent-o...tree/main/2022

(And these are .xlsx files, so you know there are no macros)
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan

Last Christmas I wrote a cheque to put into a family member's Christmas card (impersonal but much more useful than a trinket or a knick-knack). I looked at my chequebook and realized that I hadn't written a cheque since the one I had written to her on the previous Christmas.

When I ran a small business I got paid by cheque a lot.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Mine had an address I left in 2008.

Originally Posted by boomerfss
Cheques I only use for large amounts of money. Those that exceed my daily or weekly limit that my bank allows for EFT's
EFTs or Interac transfers?

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
But this is a topical post as I was just asked my new employer if I wanted to get paid with an actual hardcopy cheque. It seems that about 50% of their contract talent chose that option, which struck me as really odd.
Shocking. I wouldn't offer that option to anyone.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Shawarma for days with Adam Smith at the impromptu AUH FT femto-DO!

Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Today's advent code puzzle took me 74 minutes to complete ... but in my defense, the last 20 minutes (almost the entire part 2 time) were spent debugging a problem that I didn't have. I had switched my input back to the test input ... and couldn't figure out why the system was not accepting the answer that resulted from the test input. #moron
D582 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
EFTs or Interac transfers?
Ahh, interac transfers. A cap on limits. Fortuneately I don't need to do large transfers very often.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 7, 2022 at 10:54 am Reason: Fixed quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.