Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone have any good cocktail recipes that involve Amarula?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
When you have unlimited vacation
Are you guys hiring?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Are you guys hiring?
Yes. I'm not exactly sure what we're looking for on the non-eng side, but your skillset could actually be quite useful.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Unlimited vacation is pretty much standard in tech. It's also a clever way to keep vacation accruals off the books, including when someone leaves.

And 'unlimited' vacation is like 'unlimited' bandwidth - the management reserves the rights to throttle it at any time.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Unlimited vacation is pretty much standard in tech.
Definitely not at the one I'm working for. The concept of time off is... I don't want to post too much publicly, but perhaps I'll say "not looked on too favourably" and leave anything beyond that for a different venue.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:33 am

I certainly don't think it's standard. But I've seen it a few times, and I have a few friends with it.

And it's always worked better for me than the alternative. And probably for the company too.

If I need to pull out my laptop for an hour on a flight to YUL, I don't mind.

Because they don't mind when I leave at 1300 to catch a 7M8.

If I have some downtime on my week in BCN, I get some work done.

If I want to take two 5 day weekends in Europe between Feb 16 and Mar 7, they're good with that. And the week in Asia 6 weeks later. And the 2 weeks 6 months later. And whatever other trips I'll book.

Compare that to a place I worked that gave me 15 days a year. It wasn't sufficient, so I took some unpaid leave. My manager "suggested" I bring my work laptop in case anything came up. On unpaid leave.

​​​​​​I'm on my 8th full-time job. I vastly prefer unlimited, and I definitely use it.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I guess I know what I'm doing this morning

I love it when the wind blows a bare spot beside my driveway.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
We get them in Nova Scotia:
https://novascotia.ca/lae/employment...holidaypay.asp
(Note the section "When the Holiday Falls on an Employees Regular Day Off")
I guess we are a worker's paradise or something.
Or for us tourist it was a food dessert.....
Option 1 - Donair..... Option 2 - Donair..... Option 3 - Donair......
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
smallmj - You never told me that you moved to YVR! Stop by for a beverage sometime.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

Wow, and it was this weekend I was to book a cheap $119 flight each way to YHZ for a wonderful weekend of lobster and Oak Island......glad i stayed home, lol

Just think of that work out now that gym's are closed
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I certainly don't think it's standard. But I've seen it a few times, and I have a few friends with it.

And it's always worked better for me than the alternative. And probably for the company too.
But if the company expects you to work 100 hours every week, they probably wouldn't agree

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Or for us tourist it was a food dessert.....Option 1 - Donair..... Option 2 - Donair..... Option 3 - Donair......
You eat donairs for dessert? I usually think of them as more of a main course
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:53 pm

But if the company expects you to work 100 hours every week, they probably wouldn't agree
They do not.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Just think of that work out now that gym's are closed
I was lucky, about 10 minutes in my neighbour's boyfriend came by and plowed out the driveway for us. Saved at least an hour of hard work by me and the 14 year old. My wife baked a nice focaccia as a thank you.
HerpaYvr, Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
You eat donairs for dessert? I usually think of them as more of a main course
The condensed milk they pour on them in Halifax does make them pretty sweet
vancouver25k and smallmj like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:43 pm

Never thought I'd see YXS as providing a "first in the world" situation ... even for this reason

Not really a prime connection location, so I'm a bit confused by the business model/market, unless it's just for those who forgot to pack their fix?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC 75k

Well the good news based on that pic is that you didn't have to spend 2 hours clearing your roof like I did today.
Couple of heavy storms left us with thigh deep snow and some nasty widow makers overhanging. One part of the roof slid down two nights ago and left a mound about 8X8 by 4' high just outside our side door.
Prius? My wife's did not like deep snow. Traction control was too sensitive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.