Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
Do they also keep track of what you have and haven't tasted yet? I was more curious about tracking the varieties than the totals.
Yes, they track each rum you drink. Technically only once per rum. They don't know if I've had El Dorado 8 once or twenty times.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm travelling with a mix of Speyside and Islay devotees, so both will be on the menu.
Once done perhaps you, Adam or others can give me a couple of pointers on a Scottish single malt tasting trip. I prefer Highland and Speyside. May probably do it next year with a friend or two and leave the spouse home or in a hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
Once done perhaps you, Adam or others can give me a couple of pointers on a Scottish single malt tasting trip. I prefer Highland and Speyside. May probably do it next year with a friend or two and leave the spouse home or in a hotel.
The Station Inn in Rothes is very nice. Tours and tasting for Scotch are nowhere near the tourist industry that wine regions like Kelowna, Napa, etc have become. Many distilleries don't offer anything or very little, although a few (e.g. Macallan) have built facilities that might be more what you'd expect if you envisioned something like what the wineries do. The Speyside Cooperage is well worth a visit as it was quite interesting to see the guys working away on the casks and learn a bit more about that process. Those would be some of my top Speyside tips, but happy to discuss more over a Scotch at a Do sometime!
vernonc likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
These aren't the kind of rums one mixes with Coke Zero...
I guess I'm a snob, because for me there are NO kinds of rum one mixes with Coke Zero.

That's simply alcohol abuse.
Nitehawk, YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I guess I'm a snob, because for me there are NO kinds of rum one mixes with Coke Zero.

That's simply alcohol abuse.
I've had some rums that I wouldn't want to drink without something else because they're so vile (hello, Rum Fire!). Then again, maybe if I mixed them with Coke Zero, they would just ruin the Coke Zero...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 7:27 pm

Sitting in YVR, with a glass of Prosecco, I came up with my brilliant idea of the day.

Hand sanitizer made from decent Gin. In a CATSA / TSA-compliant size, of course.

The mind boggles at the cocktail possibilities...
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:08 pm

I rented what's probably the second [poop]iest of all the [poop]box rental cars that I've rented while I was in South Africa in the last few days. Unlike most of the [poop]boxes that I've rented, this one was a manual transmission.

The pedals on my own car have never felt as stiff as they did this morning, especially the clutch. What a crazy first few blocks of driving it was!

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Sitting in YVR, with a glass of Prosecco, I came up with my brilliant idea of the day.

Hand sanitizer made from decent Gin. In a CATSA / TSA-compliant size, of course.

The mind boggles at the cocktail possibilities...
Did you not use any of the sanitizers made by distilleries over the pandemic? I definitely had a couple that had a bit of scent of a specific spirit to them, although given the extremely high alcohol content, I don't think any of them would have made good bases for cocktails.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:27 pm

I, uh, apparently missed another threshold.

I was paying close attention after I hit 39,900. But ... I'm 20 over. Oops.

Do I outrank Adam now?
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc
Aberfeldy is a nice distillery to visit. A lot of history there and they put on a pretty good tour. Right in your Highland palate too. If you fancy a walking tour of Scotland, search the Speyside Way which takes you through Aberlour and Cragganmore among a few others - besides being a beautiful walk.
vernonc likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I, uh, apparently missed another threshold.

I was paying close attention after I hit 39,900. But ... I'm 20 over. Oops.
Congrats!

Do I outrank Adam now?
Only at Smuggler's Cove
tcook052, canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:43 pm

I just got an email from Chase that my card was declined at an Apple Store.

I was initially pissed that I'd have to get a new card number.

Then I realized the card is not in my wallet.

I used it at a restaurant last night (after, ahem, walking out on my tab at Smuggler's Cove - oops). I must have left it on the table. And someone grabbed it and tried to spend $3k on Apple products. Good thing Chase knows I don't buy Apple products
Old Oct 17, 2022, 5:59 am

Those of you who've met me may have noticed my affinity for not very stylish, but tremendously practical cargo pants that can convert in to shorts.

I've had a few pairs from MEC that I bought over a decade ago that have been amazingly durable, but they're finally starting to fall apart. I recently ordered some from Columbia that seemed to fit the bill, feature-wise, but after wearing them only about 10 times, the stitching one one of the cargo pockets has been coming apart, rendering that pocket completely useless.

Anyone here have any suggestions for similar garments that are of better quality? (And that come in sizes big enough for someone who's both tall and large)
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Those of you who've met me may have noticed my affinity for not very stylish, but tremendously practical cargo pants that can convert in to shorts.

I've had a few pairs from MEC that I bought over a decade ago that have been amazingly durable, but they're finally starting to fall apart. I recently ordered some from Columbia that seemed to fit the bill, feature-wise, but after wearing them only about 10 times, the stitching one one of the cargo pockets has been coming apart, rendering that pocket completely useless.

Anyone here have any suggestions for similar garments that are of better quality? (And that come in sizes big enough for someone who's both tall and large)
Not much beats MEC’s quality from 10+ years ago. REI’s in house brand is a safe bet if you travel to the US often enough to shop there.

https://www.rei.com/product/202030/r...ble-pants-mens

I recently trashed a pair of Arcteryx hiking pants that I had used and abused for 12 years and would gladly pay a lot of money for an identical replacement but everything they make now is triple the price and half the quality.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I recently trashed a pair of Arcteryx hiking pants that I had used and abused for 12 years and would gladly pay a lot of money for an identical replacement but everything they make now is triple the price and half the quality.
Yeah, I've been very disappointed in the overall quality of Arcteryx clothing of late.

I had some Gortex gloves that lasted less than a year and the process I had to go through just to get a credit was ridiculous. They are still selling the same gloves, despite overwhelmingly negative reviews on their own web site.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have no idea how this city is going to manage hosting the World Cup. Construction everywhere, closed off streets, no finishing work done. The stadiums are done, but there’s no chance the other infrastructure will be ready.
zrh2yvr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.