FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Forum Lounge Thread (2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2063767-forum-lounge-thread-2022-a.html)

Adam Smith Aug 26, 2022 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 34547861)
Me and a colleague at dinner and we split the cheque. With two identical looking black cards. And we each put the others card in their wallets and flew off that afternoon.

I didn't notice until a day or two later. Since I was based in YVR and he was based in YYZ, FedEx saved the day.

Happened to my former boss many years ago, except the restaurant mixed up his card with a completely random person. Plain green corporate card. He only noticed a few days later when we took some clients out for lunch and the card was declined.

expert7700 Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 34547861)
. With two identical looking black cards. And we each put the others card in their wallets

​​​​​So you're saying that Amex Black (Centurion) cards are just too common at restaurants that you frequent. :)

eigenvector Aug 26, 2022 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34540388)
Camp 1 is the easiest. After having a cheque returned to me as undeliverable to whatever the Waterloo camp was, a colleague told me his girlfriend has lost hers a bunch. Camp 1 lets you pay and order online. Delivery to SF was quick.

I don't think this is just an Ontario thing? I think they recognize all schools?

It's national, but IIRC only Camp 1's iron rings are actually iron. The rest only offer stainless.

canadiancow Aug 27, 2022 9:23 am

Pretty sure my new one is still stainless.

Adam Smith Aug 27, 2022 9:38 am

Speaking of superfluous pieces of metal, my Amex Platinum card got compromised recently. The replacement card came pleasantly quickly, and even had an envelope in it to return the old card.

But why do the credit card companies keep making these damned things? The few days I didn't have that stupid thing in my wallet were wonderful.

YOWgary Aug 27, 2022 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 34549819)
But why do the credit card companies keep making these damned things?

Because it "feels more premium"?

Shrug.

Adam Smith Aug 27, 2022 11:20 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 34549833)
Because it "feels more premium"?

Shrug.

I think it feels what poor people think a rich person's credit card should feel like.

eigenvector Aug 27, 2022 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 34549819)
Speaking of superfluous pieces of metal, my Amex Platinum card got compromised recently. The replacement card came pleasantly quickly, and even had an envelope in it to return the old card.

But why do the credit card companies keep making these damned things? The few days I didn't have that stupid thing in my wallet were wonderful.

Doesn't Amex let you request a plastic card in addition to the metal?

And I agree, the metal cards are pointless.

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 34542883)
It is, but the symbolism works particularly well in this case.

​​​​​​….by the way, it’s always bothered me that Electrical Engineers don’t wear non-conductive rings. Aren’t you people supposed to know better?

Blanket no-jewelry policies are pretty common in hazardous workplaces.

The problem is not just conductivity, but exacerbating injury during an arc flash or arc blast by melting onto your skin or becoming a projectile.

For arc flash, even things under your PPE can be quite hazardous if they melt at a low temperature like many popular synthetic textiles.

ffsim Aug 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Well I’ll be…….. Camp 2 wrote to me today saying they’ll mail my replacement ring on Monday. Impressive!

As for iron vs stainless, I thought they all went to stainless ages ago, no?

canadiancow Aug 27, 2022 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 34550265)
Doesn't Amex let you request a plastic card in addition to the metal?

And I agree, the metal cards are pointless.

Amex told me they couldn't do it.

YOWgary Aug 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 34550116)
I think it feels what poor people think a rich person's credit card should feel like.

Hence the quotes.

Adam Smith Aug 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34550407)
Amex told me they couldn't do it.

Amex Canada or US?

I hadn't even thought of asking about it though. I wonder whether any other FIs might offer that option.

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 34550408)
Hence the quotes.

And yet the income requirements suggest that the people they're aiming these cards at are not exactly poor. Not the super-wealthy, but not the kind of people I would expect to be impressed by something like a metal credit card.

canadiancow Aug 27, 2022 2:52 pm

Amex US. I guess I should try Amex and TD Canada, as well as Chase.

YOWgary Aug 27, 2022 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 34550556)
And yet the income requirements suggest that the people they're aiming these cards at are not exactly poor. Not the super-wealthy, but not the kind of people I would expect to be impressed by something like a metal credit card.

I really didn't care what mine was made of, until it started falling apart.

Never had that problem with a plastic card.

tcook052 Sep 2, 2022 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1

My class action cheque just arrived and while it was half your amount, it was a nice little end of the week mailbox surprise I'd totally forgotten about. Now how to spend it...;)