The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 22, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
I've been to Antigua before and didn't really have any plans to go back, but I've recently learned the IATA code for the airport on Barbuda is BBQ. Now I feel like I have to go
Old Jan 3, 22, 1:26 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Pretty sure it's just to wind you up canadiancow . What I wonder is it people actually come back and read later responses .
They will come back to ask again
painintheuk and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
A whole animal butcher opened up literally 75 steps from my house today. Hooked in with a well known (and successful) place that has another other locations in town so this isn't going to die in a few months.
Old Jan 3, 22, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I've been to Antigua before and didn't really have any plans to go back, but I've recently learned the IATA code for the airport on Barbuda is BBQ. Now I feel like I have to go
I've been to Barbuda airport! Admittedly I didn't fly into it (I sailed there) ... but that's just an indication of how big of an airport it is

This is a real picture that I took of it (ok, this is a screen shot of a video that I took, but this really is Barbuda airport)
YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 8:15 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
This is a real picture that I took of it (ok, this is a screen shot of a video that I took, but this really is Barbuda airport)
We always look both ways for aircraft (up in the air with our eyes, plus on flightradar24)
smallmj likes this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 10:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post

Here's most of what I was given for Christmas. Notice a theme? I might have a problem...
That is a fine selection of books.

But no tin on tin? Maybe next Xmas.
Old Jan 4, 22, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Another beautiful day.
You can almost shoot a cannon on Yonge St and not hit anyone. So bizarre.... but a great opportunity to walk from Front to Bloor without crowds
And no, the Timbiebs did not tempt me.

Old Jan 5, 22, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Happy New Year from Hangzhou, China!

As I was starting this thread, I remembered the first time I stumbled upon this forum after a miserable delayed flight into YVR. At the time I just wanted to vent and maybe figure out a way to craw some comp back from AC.

Yet I stumbled upon this treasure cove and learned so much about RTWs, credit card churns and AQM runs. It was between 2017 and 2020, where I had the privilege to leverage the things I learned here from all of them and got to go to places and experience things that I would otherwise never would have been able to.

And man......I am not going to lie how much I missed flying out during a long weekend to Deerlake, New York... or Quebec City.... or that long TPAC from Tokyo to Toronto. Or that one time where I still hoped to work as PM in SFO and flew down on that old 767 with Scott for a day to visit Twitter.

I miss those days, I miss you guys, I miss those in-person DOs, and I hope one day, things will go back to the way they were.

I know its been awhile since I showed up here, but I do want to wish everywhere a happy new year, please stay safe!
Happy New Year, and congratulations on being 2022's AC FT Lounge Forum thread starter.
Old Jan 5, 22, 11:01 am

I assume some of you have already seen this, but figured it was worth the share.

At 11 minutes, the video is a bit long, but it's an impressive custom build! (If you want to watch the actual build process, there are different videos.)

Looked for an Air Canada version, but no dice. The passenger commentary on the British Airways 777 is pretty funny too.
24left likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I think I'm giving up on avoiding COVID.

Just doesn't seem possible or worth it any more.
Old Jan 5, 22, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I think I'm giving up on avoiding COVID. Just doesn't seem possible or worth it any more.
I'm having some difficulty reconciling the part where I'm about to isolate for a week so I can be sure of passing my test to enter the US and then go spend a week working on a cruise ship, but boy is that going to be one heck of a trip report.
Old Jan 5, 22, 11:36 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, going on a cruise ship seems like the polar opposite of "avoiding" right now.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Yeah, my industry is... complicated right now.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
yyckerr likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
Tested positive in the middle of an 18 day ski trip, sucks to isolated in 1 room of an AirBnB mansion while the snow piles up, but I should be fine by tomorrow and no longer concerned about catching it during the rest of the trip.
Old Jan 5, 22, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
I assume some of you have already seen this, but figured it was worth the share. LEGO Emirates A380 video

At 11 minutes, the video is a bit long, but it's an impressive custom build! (If you want to watch the actual build process, there are different videos.)

Looked for an Air Canada version, but no dice. The passenger commentary on the British Airways 777 is pretty funny too.

Thanks for sharing! Last week, when I watched this build of the BA 777 (truly impressive), I also wondered AC..... and the thread @NickLafreniere1 started

Air Canada 737 MAX LEGO Ideas model

@nomadic.relief
Of course I forgot to add the link.

nomadic.relief likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Jan 5, 22 at 5:01 pm Reason: add link

Search this Thread