Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 1:09 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think lime juice might be undergoing the worst inflation of anything right now. Not too long ago, limes consistently got me about 0.75-1
25 oz of juice and cost $0.79.

Now they're up to $0.99, and smaller and less juicy. I've only gotten 0.25 oz out of a couple of them recently. Just horrendous.
I agree. According to several new stories that I read, it's a combination of seasonality and cartel "interest" in the profits to be made from limes.

I can substitute, but prefer not to for more lime-heavy drinks.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think lime juice might be undergoing the worst inflation of anything right now. Not too long ago, limes consistently got me about 0.75-1
25 oz of juice and cost $0.79.

Now they're up to $0.99, and smaller and less juicy. I've only gotten 0.25 oz out of a couple of them recently. Just horrendous.

I'll admit I don't pay too much attention, but I got some limes recently that were so big I had to use my orange/lemon juicer because they wouldn't fit in my lime juicer.

Which reminds me I saw a really awesome juicer at a friend's recently that I need to buy.

But back to the "how much juice per fruit", I have some friends who make blanket assumptions about how much juice comes out. So if a recipe calls for 1oz, they use 1 lime (or something like that) without even measuring

Also I managed to make something almost as good as a Demerara Danny last night. And it cost much less than at SC.

Mixel calls it the Noa Noa.

1oz lime
1/2 demerara syrup
5 leaf mint (I did not put this in mine - I don't generally keep mint as it goes bad too quickly)
3 oz demerara rum (I used El Dorado 12)

It called for crushed ice. I took some from my old bag of ice, which was as crushed as I have (note to self: replace my fridge with one that has a fancy ice maker). But you build it in a glass with crushed ice, swizzle it, and top with the spent lime shell.

Definitely my kind of drink.
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Also I managed to make something almost as good as a Demerara Danny last night. And it cost much less than at SC.
So what exactly is a Demerara Danny? It's not a drink I recall having.

And the Noa Noa sounds a lot like a Queen’s Park Swizzle, which is also nice.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I agree. According to several new stories that I read, it's a combination of seasonality and cartel "interest" in the profits to be made from limes.
I had figured seasonality was part of it, but hadn't thought the cartels would have anything to do with it.

I can substitute, but prefer not to for more lime-heavy drinks.
You know what was lime heavy but not half-bad with lemon instead of lime? That Christmas one that had the lychee juice.

I'll admit I don't pay too much attention, but I got some limes recently that were so big I had to use my orange/lemon juicer because they wouldn't fit in my lime juicer.
Interesting. Exact opposite of here. I feel like flying to SFO to pick up limes might make the value proposition even worse for me though

Which reminds me I saw a really awesome juicer at a friend's recently that I need to buy.
Care to share?

But back to the "how much juice per fruit", I have some friends who make blanket assumptions about how much juice comes out. So if a recipe calls for 1oz, they use 1 lime (or something like that) without even measuring
O-M-G, as the kids say. Or maybe they don't say that anymore. Although I have seen some recipes that call for "the juice of one lime" and that kind of stuff.

5 leaf mint (I did not put this in mine - I don't generally keep mint as it goes bad too quickly)
That would have made a pretty substantial difference to the flavour...
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:24 pm

Yes, ABM, Always be measuring

Most limes give me 1 ounce, most lemons give me 1.5 to 2, oranges are good for 2, and grapefruits vary between 2 and 3.

But my jigger makes the final call.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Yes, ABM, Always be measuring

Most limes give me 1 ounce, most lemons give me 1.5 to 2, oranges are good for 2, and grapefruits vary between 2 and 3.

But my jigger makes the final call.
Agree with all of the above, except on grapefruits. Would that be a 1/2 grapefruit that gives you 3 oz? I haven't juiced any in a while, but I feel like they give me a lot more than 3 oz.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:44 pm

So what exactly is a Demerara Danny? It's not a drink I recall having.
Come to SC with me on a night that Danny's bartending. Or go without me and order it - that would be more amusing.

There isn't a fixed recipe. It's demerara rum, demerara syrup, and whatever he feels like that night.

Care to share?
When I clicked "reply" to this, I didn't have a link yet. But now I do.

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshForce-Citrus-Juicer-Lemon/dp/B002XOB0P0/

O-M-G, as the kids say. Or maybe they don't say that anymore. Although I have seen some recipes that call for "the juice of one lime" and that kind of stuff.
He (and you've met him) tends to make things more like Negronis, G&T, Manhattans, etc. If I want to go have a citrus-based cocktail at his place, I often need to bring the citrus.

That would have made a pretty substantial difference to the flavour...
Yes. But I'm not sure it would have made it better from my perspective.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:58 pm

When I clicked "reply" to this, I didn't have a link yet. But now I do.

What makes it so good? Looks pretty standard.

He (and you've met him) tends to make things more like Negronis, G&T, Manhattans, etc. If I want to go have a citrus-based cocktail at his place, I often need to bring the citrus.
Does he eyeball those, or does he measure them?
Old May 28, 2022, 3:59 pm

What makes it so good? Looks pretty standard.
It has so much extra leverage. You get every last drop of juice.

I just ordered one.

Does he eyeball those, or does he measure them?
Measures everything other than citrus
Old May 28, 2022, 4:12 pm

It has so much extra leverage.
Some of us have no trouble generating enough power for that with a regular amount of leverage

You get every last drop of juice.
Here are some words of wisdom from Mr. Cate on juicing:

"Even though we've begun to win the war for fresh juices, there's one battle left to wage: overzealous juicing, which pulls a lot of bitterness into the citrus juice."

"No matter the juicing method, the secret is to GO EASY."

"I know limes can be pricey and you want to get your money's worth, but trust me. Buy a few extra and show them a gentle touch. When using a handheld citrus squeezer or manual stand juicer, stop just short of closing it all the way."

"When you pull away the spent fruit, the pulp should still be intact and look fairly healthy, not like it's been squeezed within an inch of its life."

So... Do you really want "every last drop"?

Measures everything other than citrus
What an odd habit 🤔
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:20 pm

Okay that's fair, and I will go lighter in the future.

But I still think the extra leverage is useful. I've had some pretty big/tough lemons.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:21 pm

But I still think the extra leverage is useful. I've had some pretty big/tough lemons.
Ooh, big tough lemons... I don't think you need a new juicer, I think you need Hans and Franz.

canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: AC SE-MM

I agree we have all three sizes. They work well without fussing with them.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’m popping in to your boys club to say that I bought a juicer for £1 at a big chain of British Supermarkets before I got married. It is the best that I have ever owned. It catches the pips, doesn’t cut the pith so that the juice comes out as sour as me.
yyckerr, Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 29, 2022 at 12:00 pm Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
Old May 29, 2022, 2:31 pm

Refs are really out to get my teams this week. Team Canada called for a high sticking penalty after a Finnish guy hit himself in the face with his own stick. Just incredible

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I’m popping in to your boys club
No boys club here. All are welcome. Boys, girls, regulars, occasional visitors... There are a few of us who probably spend more time on FT than they should, but doesn't mean others are any less welcome
YOWgary and YYC3722 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.