Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I obviously have a preference for the outcome, but for any neutrals not watching the Flames-Oilers series, you should be. Not as many goals so far this game, but still incredibly entertaining. Goals, speed, McDavid doing McDavid things, hitting, bad blood... The only thing it doesn't have is good goaltending. The Flames-Stars series had more than enough of that though.

On a separate note, @Bohemian1 @canadiancow, I just counted my rums... 22 (I think), not counting a couple of rum-based fruit liqueurs.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I has been a while. They both had dynasties back in their day. Of course,
How do you spell DYNASTY in Calgary?
O
N
E
!

As a Habs fan I can still remember the Gilmour goal and having to put up with my Montreal hating friend. What did he care, he was a Wings fan from Windsor???
Old May 20, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I has been a while. They both had dynasties back in their day. Of course,
How do you spell DYNASTY in Calgary?
O
N
E
!
One? Hey, the Flames have won three

first-round series since 1989!

It feels weird to me to watch this team. I was pretty young in 1989, and the only regular season the Flames have been truly good since the early 1990s was 2018-19, which ended in a meek first-round loss to a sub-.500 Colorado team. The way Oettinger played in the first round, it felt like yet another year where the Flames were going to go out in the first round, because that's just what they do.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I had to look up the year to be sure, but the finals in 04 was the last time I was truly invested in the playoffs and was really pulling for Iggie and the boys. That series was so close and incredible to watch. Life took over after that, and I just don't watch the games any more.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I had to look up the year to be sure, but the finals in 04 was the last time I was truly invested in the playoffs and was really pulling for Iggie and the boys. That series was so close and incredible to watch. Life took over after that, and I just don't watch the games any more.
I don't watch nearly as many regular-season games as I used to, but come playoff time, I try to watch them all.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I obviously have a preference for the outcome, but for any neutrals not watching the Flames-Oilers series, you should be. Not as many goals so far this game, but still incredibly entertaining.
I apologize to anyone who took this advice and watched tonight's abomination.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I apologize to anyone who took this advice and watched tonight's abomination.
What a flame out! Oilers top line feasts on poor line changes and bad D to roll over Flames with the score line not indicating how dominant the Edmonton victory was as Calgary was never in this game despite a scoreless first.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
What a flame out! Oilers top line feasts on poor line changes and bad D to roll over Flames with the score line not indicating how dominant the Edmonton victory was as Calgary was never in this game despite a scoreless first.
I turned it off at 2-0 because it was clear the Flames hadn't showed up. The last three games have not looked like a team coached by Darryl Sutter. I also wonder whether we might see Vladar tomorrow. Markstrom was downright awful in the first two games, and wasn't really the cause of last night's loss (although he was massively out of position for the first goal), but didn't do anything to bail out the rest of the team either.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:16 am

I turned it off at 2-0 because it was clear the Flames hadn't showed up. The last three games have not looked like a team coached by Darryl Sutter. I also wonder whether we might see Vladar tomorrow. Markstrom was downright awful in the first two games, and wasn't really the cause of last night's loss (although he was massively out of position for the first goal), but didn't do anything to bail out the rest of the team either.
And we Oiler fans all heard the pre-series 'expert' analysis about how coaching and goaltending were both big edges that went in Flames favor but it hasn't seemed that way so far as Oilers have had Markstrom's number all season and so far this series while the line matching, poor changes and sloppy D coverage did look very un-Sutter like.

Flames top line completely invisible last night with only 6 SOG between them while Oilers top line notched 10-points and was unstoppable. Draisaitl set a 104-year-old Stanley Cup record for most assists (four) in a single period on Sunday all while suffering from a painful high-ankle sprain!

Bring on game #4!

Last edited by tcook052; May 23, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old May 24, 2022, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Although I'm rooting a bit more for EDM, I'm still simply enjoying the Battle of AB for what it is.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
For you west coast folks bragging weeks ago about cherry blossoms, our flowering crab burst in to bloom last weekend. The apple tree is about to open. Glad it wasn't open yet since we had frost last night.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Here in this university town known as Halifax it is now jean short season. Unfortunately, it being whatever year it is, it's mom jeans short season.

I suppose there are also leaves on the trees, too.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:30 pm

And we Oiler fans all heard the pre-series 'expert' analysis about how coaching and goaltending were both big edges that went in Flames favor but it hasn't seemed that way so far as Oilers have had Markstrom's number all season and so far this series while the line matching, poor changes and sloppy D coverage did look very un-Sutter like.
Markstrom is definitely the better goaltender. He just hasn't played like it at all in this series. We'll see whether the coaching starts to play a role.

I'd also love to see whether Tanev will ever come back and whether he might make a difference. He has historically played well against McDavid.

Draisaitl set a 104-year-old Stanley Cup record for most assists (four) in a single period on Sunday all while suffering from a painful high-ankle sprain!
A 26-year-old guy set a 104-year-old record? Broke one, maybe

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Although I'm rooting a bit more for EDM, I'm still simply enjoying the Battle of AB for what it is.
Why you gotta do me like that?
Old May 24, 2022, 7:31 pm

A 26-year-old guy set a 104-year-old record? Broke one, maybe
Whatever. Here's hoping he nets 5-points in a period in tonight's pivotal game.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:47 pm

Whatever. Here's hoping he nets 5-points in a period in tonight's pivotal game.
I was quite happy to see McDavid get 4 points in Game 1 when the Flames scored 9 goals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.