The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 28, 22, 7:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I just went back to Windows because I was fed up with Mac. It's taking me some time to get my workflows going after using Mac exclusively for like a decade, but I'm happy I switched back.
Curious what triggered the switch. I went through painful process of hackintoshing my desktop (it was an excellent learning btw) just because I couldn't switch between MBP and desktop with the start-menu.

I tried using almost everything to make windows kinda work like Mac - but it never kinda reached anywhere to my satisfaction. Btw this is cool - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/ esp the power toys run which is a decent (but kinda lame) attempt to bring Alfred to windows
Old Apr 28, 22, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Beast #6 who we jokingly refer to as Calvin around here is within weeks of his 5th birthday. One would hope by that age they’ve learned to keep the water in the tub.

There must be 4 gallons on the floor (and probably in the walls and ceiling despite the ungodly amount of caulking applied semi-annually)

Anyway, the point is: don’t have kids. And if you do, only wash them with a garden hose every other day and a pressure washer every month or two.
Old Apr 28, 22, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
Curious what triggered the switch. I went through painful process of hackintoshing my desktop (it was an excellent learning btw) just because I couldn't switch between MBP and desktop with the start-menu.

I tried using almost everything to make windows kinda work like Mac - but it never kinda reached anywhere to my satisfaction. Btw this is cool - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/ esp the power toys run which is a decent (but kinda lame) attempt to bring Alfred to windows
I think your problem is you're trying "to make windows kinda work like Mac".

I was doing the same, and I was getting frustrated. Just embrace Windows.

I was fed up with what I consider to be really crappy software, and way overpriced hardware.
Old Apr 28, 22, 7:32 pm

I think your problem is you're trying "to make windows kinda work like Mac".
I was trying to make windows work like X11.

I was doing the same, and I was getting frustrated. Just embrace Windows.
It was very spiny and not accepting of my embrace.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old Apr 28, 22, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by vancouver25k View Post
It was very spiny and not accepting of my embrace.
hear hear lol.

I kinda enjoy windows 11 UX though - I never used it much yet. But so far - seems to be pretty decent. I don't mind moving to windows if I get Alfred, better window / workspace management & seamless connectivity with other devices (like continuity feature in apple) & a better terminal - but I think powershell is robust enough now.
Old Apr 28, 22, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
So I ordered a glass rinser (Delta GR150).
Okay.

Having just made some cocktails, I'm officially jealous. High on my list of future kitchen projects.

I'm fully capable of doing the plumbing, It's just drilling through the stone countertop that I'd need not to F up.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 28, 22, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Beast #6 who we jokingly refer to as Calvin around here is within weeks of his 5th birthday. One would hope by that age they’ve learned to keep the water in the tub.

There must be 4 gallons on the floor (and probably in the walls and ceiling despite the ungodly amount of caulking applied semi-annually)

Anyway, the point is: don’t have kids. And if you do, only wash them with a garden hose every other day and a pressure washer every month or two.
If you make beast no 6 clean up along with beast no 7 and 5, he will less likely to do it again. And nos 7 and 5 will also have skin in the game to ensure he learns.
Old Apr 28, 22, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
If you make beast no 6 clean up along with beast no 7 and 5, he will less likely to do it again. And nos 7 and 5 will also have skin in the game to ensure he learns.
You clearly understand the savagery necessary to get through a day in my life.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 28, 22, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
You clearly understand the savagery necessary to get through a day in my life.
Cleary, we now know why you travel so much. Or at least we can make a couple of educated guesses.
Old Apr 28, 22, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
So I ordered a glass rinser (Delta GR150). It arrived yesterday, but I just opened it and realized I don't have a 32mm drill bit.

Coke Zero on tap, a glass rinser... my setup is going to be better than some bars I've seen
I don't know, the selection of spirits, liqueurs, and syrups still leaves something to be desired, from what I've seen
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 28, 22, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Okay.

Having just made some cocktails, I'm officially jealous. High on my list of future kitchen projects.

I'm fully capable of doing the plumbing, It's just drilling through the stone countertop that I'd need not to F up.
Yeah it's nice to have "kitchen renovation" on my 18 month roadmap so I'm much more willing to take risks.

I had to drill through my steel sink for my water/CO2 lines, and I'll have to do it again for this. But other than having to order the right drill bit, I'm not worried.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I don't know, the selection of spirits, liqueurs, and syrups still leaves something to be desired, from what I've seen
Haha I mean it depends on the drinks you want to make. But my bar is always growing.

I think my next addition will be sherry.
Old Apr 28, 22, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Haha I mean it depends on the drinks you want to make. But my bar is always growing.

Smith Cocktail Lab has three or four of those
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 29, 22, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I really do need to take an MR to SCL.
Old Apr 29, 22, 9:58 am

If you want a 'starter' Sherry that's very useful in cocktails, desserts and even savoury dishes, I'd suggest a decent Pedro Ximénez.

It's also a good representation of solera aging, which you have already encountered with some rums.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 29, 22, 10:32 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Went to Game 6 last night. Disappointing end to the season. But better than what I thought it would be at the start of the season.
The F**k Embid Chants were resounding, not sure if they turned it off for TV.
Raps fans cheered the team even when it was a lost cause and a lot stayed till the end for a standing ovation.
Next up - Leafs playoffs.
Busy spring and summer.

Search this Thread