The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 22, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Happy new year, everyone. I will be flying again this year at my new job. My last flight was in Feb 2020.

Wishing everyone a safe year of flying.
tcook052 and streetcircusdan like this.

Last edited by dtman85; Jan 1, 22 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 1, 22, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending

So cool to hear the Ohio State marching band playing Canadian rock icons Rush's "Spirit of Radio" during halftime of the Rose Bowl just now.
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
2021 was a real rollercoaster. Unless something goes horribly wrong, 2022 is the year I'm going to graduate and get a real, adult job after a decade of university, so hopefully it's better, but I think the carefree life of a student is usually easier . In any case, happy new year, everyone, and hopefully we can get back in the air soon
Old Jan 2, 22, 12:00 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
Happy New Year from Oahu. YYZ-HNL was the first mileage run I ever did, exactly 20 years and 2 weeks ago to get me to Elite status for the first time. 26 hours in Waikiki and suggested by After Burner/Shareholder as I recall. It was on my 15th wedding anniversary, which I didn't realize until I had booked the flights. Mrs. TD has since forgiven me, we just celebrated our 35th. It's been a fun 20 years on FT too.
Happy new year from YWG!

Any tips on getting my wife to approve trips abroad? She loves to travel, but once or twice a year, is slightly different than my goal of getting on a plane once or twice a month. We have a 10 year old who's remarkable self sufficient, but still I feel guilty about leaving her alone to solo parent.
streetcircusdan likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ywgckp View Post
Any tips on getting my wife to approve trips abroad?
Simple. Just make sure that she never has to travel in economy again.
Old Jan 2, 22, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
Simple. Just make sure that she never has to travel in economy again.
can confirm this is highly effective.
YOWgary and streetcircusdan like this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 10:45 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ywgckp View Post
Happy new year from YWG!

10 year old who's remarkable self sufficient.... but still I feel guilty about leaving her alone to solo parent.
Well.... If the 10yr old is self sufficient, you could put that to the test, and BOTH adults travel internationally.
​​​​
​​​​
Old Jan 2, 22, 10:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Well.... If the 10yr old is self sufficient, you could put that to the test, and BOTH adults travel internationally.
Speaking of international travel, did you get your duck?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 11:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold

Here's most of what I was given for Christmas. Notice a theme? I might have a problem...
painintheuk, Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 11:44 pm

You _got_ Christmas presents?! I need new family + friends.
Old Jan 3, 22, 12:05 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I would certainly consider Goldschlger to be a problem.
Old Jan 3, 22, 12:32 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
You _got_ Christmas presents?! I need new family + friends.
I've managed to kill birthday presents in the Smith family and with Mrs. Smith, but haven't managed to kill Christmas presents. If you want to join the party, come out to YYC next Christmas and we can do something

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
I would certainly consider Goldschlger to be a problem.
I haven't opened it yet. I have bad memories of it from my teenage year's, but Difford's has a number of interesting-sounding cocktail recipes that include it, so I'm willing to give it a shot.
nomadic.relief and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 6:20 am

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Speaking of international travel, did you get your duck?
​​​​​​
Affirmative, duck hunting was successful after an extended group effort on the virtual DO!
Old Jan 3, 22, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
What do people expect when they post a question in a thread, when that question is answered in literally the previous post, and in the thread title?

Are they actually going to come back later to read responses?
Old Jan 3, 22, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
What do people expect when they post a question in a thread, when that question is answered in literally the previous post, and in the thread title?
Pretty sure it's just to wind you up canadiancow . What I wonder is it people actually come back and read later responses .

Search this Thread