Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
+1

What's in that? Is it this?
  • 1 ½ oz Vodka
  • 1 ½ White Cranberry Juice
  • ½ oz Triple Sec
  • 1 Martini glass with a sugar rim
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:56 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
<image>
Hah, nothing at all like what the Google showed me.

How was it? Bourbon and St. Germain sounds odd.

I've been experimenting with blueberry liqueur + sparkling wine.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It was actually quite good. Much better than the next one I tried that was basically a Manhattan topped with Champagne.

Also happy new year!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It was actually quite good. Much better than the next one I tried that was basically a Manhattan topped with Champagne.
That sounds terrible.

Last thing I made was:
  • 2 oz blueberry liqueur
  • 3/4 oz rhubarb liqueur
  • 1/2 oz maple syrup
  • 1/4 Cruzan blackstrap rum
  • Dash of orange bitters
  • 2 oz sparkling wine

The wife was pretty happy with it, but it's still only "good" and not excellent. Previous iterations had cinnamon syrup instead of the maple syrup, and maple syrup but no blackstrap rum.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Not too long before midnight, one of my poly partners decided to smash champagne bottles and rondelle etched glasses in my living room... Maybe the west coast lifestyle is not worth the hype?!?

Happy new year to all!!! Even if I don't have anymore champagne.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I celebrated as I often do, but in a different place. My wife and I like to go out for steak dinner on the 31st and talk about being better parents in the new year and this year tried a new place that is, of all places, above a BCHL rink. I have to say it was really great.

Enjoyed a 2004 Fairview Cellars “The Bear” - a favourite wine of mine but first of this vintage for me.

Happy New Year everyone. It can’t possibly be like the last couple, right?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Not too long before midnight, one of my poly partners decided to smash champagne bottles and rondelle etched glasses in my living room... Maybe the west coast lifestyle is not worth the hype?!?
Is that a west coast lifestyle or a Utah lifestyle? If you had watched Big Love, it might have illustrated some of the drawbacks

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
tried a new place that is, of all places, above a BCHL rink. I have to say it was really great.
That surprises me. I find there's often a very negative correlation between food quality and proximity to sports venues.
Happy New Year everyone. It can’t possibly be like the last couple, right?
Ugh, now you've gone and done it...
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Happy New Year from Oahu. YYZ-HNL was the first mileage run I ever did, exactly 20 years and 2 weeks ago to get me to Elite status for the first time. 26 hours in Waikiki and suggested by After Burner/Shareholder as I recall. It was on my 15th wedding anniversary, which I didn't realize until I had booked the flights. Mrs. TD has since forgiven me, we just celebrated our 35th. It's been a fun 20 years on FT too.
Nitehawk, yyckerr and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Happy New Year from Oahu. YYZ-HNL was the first mileage run I ever did, exactly 20 years and 2 weeks ago to get me to Elite status for the first time. 26 hours in Waikiki and suggested by After Burner/Shareholder as I recall. It was on my 15th wedding anniversary, which I didn't realize until I had booked the flights. Mrs. TD has since forgiven me, we just celebrated our 35th. It's been a fun 20 years on FT too.
Was that the time we met for dinner in Waikiki? Was that really 20 years ago??!!?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Ugh, now you've gone and done it...
Yeah, it seems like yesterday we were all cursing 2020 and eagerly embracing 2021 as going to be far better and while it was in many ways still wise to be careful what you wish for.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by After Burner
Was that the time we met for dinner in Waikiki? Was that really 20 years ago??!!?
Yes indeed - I had a lovely 15th anniversary dinner with you. Was it at Dukes? I do remember your confusion that the Zin I ordered wasn't pink.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Yes indeed - I had a lovely 15th anniversary dinner with you. Was it at Dukes? I do remember your confusion that the Zin I ordered wasn't pink.
It was Nick's Fishmarket
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:17 pm

I just realized I haven't flown anywhere all year. I'm such a FOTSG!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just realized I haven't flown anywhere all year. I'm such a FOTSG!
Wow, I've flown more often this year than an FT mod. That's a first.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: TK *G
2021 is in the past. What I care more about is how much I will fly in 2022. More specifically, I hope I can finally start flying long haul international flights again in 2022.
streetcircusdan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.