The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 22, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Bed time here, but I'll send you the book link and inexpensive ice cream maker link tomorrow. Not sure it's quite a million times better than bought, but close.
Here's the book. Very easy to follow instructions:
Amazon Amazon
. It's available in print and as an ebook at your local library . The only downside to making my own is that I'm unlikely to have more than 1 flavour in the fridge. At a store I can choose all sorts! Brownies now in the oven to go with the ice cream tonight.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
I dunno, never had it, but this sounds like interesting stuff to me.
Turns out I am very naive about this stuff (add another thing to the list!). I always just walk in to the liquor store, grab what I want and don't look around. I thought a play on Bailey's was a new thing. I was so wrong! There's almost a whole section. For example, I like Forty Creek and I like Nanaimo Bars. Maybe even side by side. But in the same bottle? https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stor...6#.Yf2cPvhyZf8. Hmmm....

I have a vague memory of making Bailey's in residence as a 1st year undergrad. Not sure why I don't remember the details!
Old Feb 4, 22, 2:47 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Listening to some 80s hits while blasting through a doc gave me another thought - maybe you could craft something like a Paralyzer. Can't get much more 80's than that.

Make it with Coke Zero and you could call it a Paralyzed Cow....
Old Feb 4, 22, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Here's the book. Very easy to follow instructions: https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Cream-S.../dp/1607741849. It's available in print and as an ebook at your local library . The only downside to making my own is that I'm unlikely to have more than 1 flavour in the fridge. At a store I can choose all sorts! Brownies now in the oven to go with the ice cream tonight.
I'll let the wife know - this might be more her kind of thing than mine.

For example, I like Forty Creek and I like Nanaimo Bars. Maybe even side by side. But in the same bottle? https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stor...6#.Yf2cPvhyZf8. Hmmm....
I also have a bottle of that in the fridge. It tastes good, and might also be good on or in ice cream. I don't think I've made any cocktails with it yet though.

I have a vague memory of making Bailey's in residence as a 1st year undergrad. Not sure why I don't remember the details!
My first year experience with Bailey's primarily involved the "juicy pussy", a shot that had some combination of Bailey's, Amaretto, and pineapple juice. I remember it being very tasty, but not sure I ever replicated it at home.
Old Feb 4, 22, 8:13 pm

My faith in the next generation is totally restored when I can send Child 2 in YYZ a picture of the mise en place, and she can correctly identify and text back the cocktail that I'm building.

Maybe not the most marketable skill, but I'm glad to see that some aspects of home schooling still work.
painintheuk and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 4, 22, 8:24 pm

For example, I like Forty Creek and I like Nanaimo Bars. Maybe even side by side. But in the same bottle? https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stor...6#.Yf2cPvhyZf8. Hmmm....
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I also have a bottle of that in the fridge. It tastes good, and might also be good on or in ice cream. I don't think I've made any cocktails with it yet though..
Originally Posted by vancovuer25k View Post
Nice thinking! I will make the same offer (since it seems you already have a taker).
Well, I've got 1 more day in YYZ, so now I may have to go back to LCBO and buy a bottle of this to try . I'll be making more Nanaimo bars tomorrow, so I can do a taste test!

My faith in the next generation is totally restored when I can send Child 2 in YYZ a picture of the mise en place, and she can correctly identify and text back the cocktail that I'm building.

Maybe not the most marketable skill, but I'm glad to see that some aspects of home schooling still work.
Child 2 sounds awesome, but what about those of us who don't have the same level of schooling? I don't see anything strawberry-y, so I'm out of guesses.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 4, 22 at 8:55 pm
Old Feb 5, 22, 11:53 am

Child 2 sounds awesome, but what about those of us who don't have the same level of schooling? I don't see anything strawberry-y, so I'm out of guesses.
Old school - a Mai Tai.

I was a pleasant day and I wanted something semi-tropical, but was too lazy to get creative. And that was all the fruit we had in the fridge.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Feb 5, 22, 1:36 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist

Make it with Coke Zero and you could call it a Paralyzed Cow....
An FA substituting regular coke in lieu of Coke Zero (which I've heard they tried at least once) could turn ANY drink into a paralyzed / hospitalized Cow.
Old Feb 5, 22, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Adam's on a plane without wifi... quick, everyone break the rules!
Old Feb 5, 22, 2:54 pm

Where is the post-stuffing codfather when you need him?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 6, 22, 2:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Even though that photo had an item that didn't belong?

How's that Giffard orange Curaao?

Well, I've got 1 more day in YYZ, so now I may have to go back to LCBO and buy a bottle of this to try . I'll be making more Nanaimo bars tomorrow, so I can do a taste test!
I suspect you won't regret it, although no guarantees
​​​​​​​I believe @Bohemian1 and I have discussed some excellent literature that could help with that problem in this very thread.

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Adam's on a plane without wifi... quick, everyone break the rules!
Don't you miscreants cause enough trouble already? 😥
Old Feb 6, 22, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
How's that Giffard orange Curaao?
I like it. It's a little sharper and a bit more intense than others I've tried.
Old Feb 7, 22, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Feb 7, 22, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
[video link]
Awesome!
Old Feb 7, 22, 8:14 pm

The PITUK panel definitely preferred the Cabot Trail to the 40 Creek Nanaimo Bar Cream. The Nanaimo bars went well with both, though
Old Feb 8, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Enjoying a little lunch in Nerd Heaven before heading back to YOW tomorrow. Will have a long layover at YVR Dom in the evening before 128.

Search this Thread