The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 21, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 22, 4:39 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
While I doubt I would purchase such a thing, I could also totally see bourbon, banana, brownie and whipped cream working together.

Hmm. Maybe there's a cocktail idea in there someplace.
canadiancow and codfather like this.
Old Jan 30, 22, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors Silver, M-Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
While I doubt I would purchase such a thing, I could also totally see bourbon, banana, brownie and whipped cream working together.

Hmm. Maybe there's a cocktail idea in there someplace.
I wouldn't have thought to purchase it myself either. It was my friend who bought it, but he is a bartender at a local spot so I trusted his judgement.
Old Jan 30, 22, 6:27 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Shame that some people make responsible owners look bad
what could happen if you misuse your flamethrower​​​​​​
Old Jan 30, 22, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Shame that some people make responsible owners look bad
what could happen if you misuse your flamethrower​​​​​​
Wild. The only thing less smart would be using your flamethrower indoors.

Not that anyone would ever do that.
Old Jan 31, 22, 7:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
I tried a very interesting bourbon last night at my friend's cabin. It was called "Howler Head" and it was infused with natural banana flavour. I will admit that I was initially skeptical, but I actually found the combination worked quite well. We enjoyed it on the rocks with dessert and the pairing of it with brownie and whipped cream was really good.
Like actual banana flavor, or the flavor food scientists have assigned the label "banana"?
Old Feb 2, 22, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
😂😂

smallmj likes this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
I used up the last of my mum's Cabot Trail making a seriously yummy ice cream, so I was planning to replace it tomorrow in any case. If it helps WTME, then so much the better.

https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/ca...4#.YfyskvhyZf8
@painintheuk, did you do anything else with that stuff? I've had a bottle in the fridge for a while, and have used it in a couple of cocktails, but still looking for really good drinks to use it in.
Old Feb 3, 22, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
@painintheuk, did you do anything else with that stuff? I've had a bottle in the fridge for a while, and have used it in a couple of cocktails, but still looking for really good drinks to use it in.
I know that Bohemian1 will have much better, more informed opinion. My mum and sister put it in a glass and drink it. Totally works! I tested it several times and it totally works. Doesn't need to be refrigerated. I tried ice and it isn't needed. Room temp is best so far.

The ice cream, though, was freakin' delicious!!! Just a standard vanilla ice cream recipe (5 egg yolks, 2.5 cups double cream, <0.5 cups sugar (oddly without the vanilla this time, touch of salt) with 3 oz of Cabot Trail worked great. Much more alcohol than I've used for egg nog ice cream in the past but the balance worked out just right. Much smoother than I make at home, but a different machine and different cream.
Old Feb 3, 22, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
I know that Bohemian1 will have much better, more informed opinion.
Why's that? I feel like he might feel this one is beneath him.

My mum and sister put it in a glass and drink it. Totally works! I tested it several times and it totally works. Doesn't need to be refrigerated. I tried ice and it isn't needed. Room temp is best so far.
I've tried it straight up, it's fine. But I find cocktails often are more interesting.

The ice cream, though, was freakin' delicious!!! Just a standard vanilla ice cream recipe (5 egg yolks, 2.5 cups double cream, <0.5 cups sugar (oddly without the vanilla this time, touch of salt) with 3 oz of Cabot Trail worked great. Much more alcohol than I've used for egg nog ice cream in the past but the balance worked out just right. Much smoother than I make at home, but a different machine and different cream.
Sounds good! Although I've never made ice cream.
Old Feb 3, 22, 10:45 pm

Why's that? I feel like he might feel this one is beneath him.
That's sad . It might not be 'fancy', but "beneath"? That's pretty sad.

I've tried it straight up, it's fine. But I find cocktails often are more interesting.
Totally agree! We're not great at that, but are working on it. That's where I thought you and Bohemian1 might know more.

Sounds good! Although I've never made ice cream.
Bed time here, but I'll send you the book link and inexpensive ice cream maker link tomorrow. Not sure it's quite a million times better than bought, but close.
Old Feb 3, 22, 11:00 pm

I dunno, never had it, but this sounds like interesting stuff to me.

If we're talking cocktails, I would steer towards enriching with a neutral spirit like vodka. Then you could concoct a twist on something like a White Russian (hey, let's call it a Cabotage!), or maybe a Mudslide? Or, a variation on a B52 (maybe call it a CF-105 for a Canadian spin?).

I'm too lazy to dig out the Flavor Bible, so I'm essentially just riffing on a Baileys analog here, but I imagine one could get far more creative with some imagination.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Feb 3, 22 at 11:07 pm
Old Feb 3, 22, 11:08 pm

COVID do cocktail fun!
Old Feb 3, 22, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
COVID do cocktail fun!
You mean like every Saturday night?
painintheuk likes this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 11:27 pm

That's sad . It might not be 'fancy', but "beneath"? That's pretty sad.
@Bohemian1 is a pretty sophisticated guy. The maple cream liqueur just seemed like it might be a bit plebian for him

Totally agree! We're not great at that, but are working on it. That's where I thought you and Bohemian1 might know more.
I have some ideas - similar to @Bohemian1, somewhat thinking of it like Bailey's - but always curious to see what others think.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
I dunno, never had it, but this sounds like interesting stuff to me.

If we're talking cocktails, I would steer towards enriching with a neutral spirit like vodka. Then you could concoct a twist on something like a White Russian (hey, let's call it a Cabotage!)
Or maybe a Polar Route? Seems fitting for something combining the Russian and the Canadian

I'm too lazy to dig out the Flavor Bible, so I'm essentially just riffing on a Baileys analog here, but I imagine one could get far more creative with some imagination.
I'm working on it. I just have so many things here these days. Someone asked in a group chat last week how many bottles of spirits/liqueurs we have at home, trying to figure out how long each of us could theoretically go without having to buy more booze. I clocked in at somewhere around 140, or more...

COVID do cocktail fun!
Smith Cocktail Lab could potentially open to a very small number of patrons...
painintheuk and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 4, 22, 11:00 am

Someone asked in a group chat last week how many bottles of spirits/liqueurs we have at home, trying to figure out how long each of us could theoretically go without having to buy more booze. I clocked in at somewhere around 140, or more...
I find it's better not to keep track.

Denial is a wonderful thing. And a very long river.

Search this Thread