Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

12/23 AC15 YYZ-HKG 30+ wrongly refused transport (HKG media story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.

GTA-based internet media HongKonger Station revealed on its Facebook about a gross mishandling by a YYZ ground agent supervisor wrongly denying boarding to 30+ pax on 12/23 0020 AC15 to HKG including those connecting from other cities. HKG announced new 48-h (instead of 72-h) PCR requirements for flights departing from 12/24 onward, and this flight should not have been affected. Pax were on the phone with HK government okaying them but the supervisor refused to talk to anyone.

We're not talking about something like the BA LAS/JFK denied boarding incident where people got stuck at home or abroad for a couple extra days. In order to board a flight to HKG, you have to have reserved 21 nights at an approved quarantine hotel. HKG is effectively all-21-days now, hotels are full, and reservations often aren't flexible or refundable. Denied boarding can easily cost a single person or a family a C$7,000 loss.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So the ICN-HKG portion would have been on the 24th?

I can definitely appreciate the confusion.
YOWgary and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So the ICN-HKG portion would have been on the 24th?
PCR countdown is YYZ/YVR departure based. Never any confusion there...
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
It seems clear the AC staff didn't know the difference between a nonstop flight and a direct (as listed on the memo) flight
Yoshi212 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
PCR countdown is YYZ/YVR departure based. Never any confusion there...
If there wasn't any confusion, then what happened?
yowcat and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If there wasn't any confusion, then what happened?
Idiot agents not staying up to date + idiot HK gov knowing last minute changes like this for xmas causing chaos AGAIN (the original 21d hotel Q was put into place last year before xmas as well)
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:19 am

im lost here…. Quoting your own words

boarding denial happened on 12/23 00:20
new policy in effect for departures from 12/24

GTA-based internet media HongKonger Station revealed on its Facebook about a gross mishandling by a YYZ ground agent supervisor wrongly denying boarding to 30+ pax on 12/23 0020 AC15 to HKG including those connecting from other cities. HKG announced new 48-h (instead of 72-h) PCR requirements for flights departing from 12/24 onward, and this flight should not have been affected. Pax were on the phone with HK government okaying them but the supervisor refused to talk to anyone.

We're not talking about something like the BA LAS/JFK denied boarding incident where people got stuck at home or abroad for a couple extra days. In order to board a flight to HKG, you have to have reserved 21 nights at an approved quarantine hotel. HKG is effectively all-21-days now, hotels are full, and reservations often aren't flexible or refundable. Denied boarding can easily cost a single person or a family a C$7,000 loss.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
im lost here…. Quoting your own words

boarding denial happened on 12/23 00:20
new policy in effect for departures from 12/24
I think that's the point OP is trying to make: that it shouldn't have happened because the policy wasn't yet in effect
Old Dec 26, 2021, 9:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moderator note: as this is not a case of denied boarding, I've updated the thread title to use the correct term, which is refused transport. And, since the OP was not there, clarified that this is a story from an HKG media source.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Sorry, it is not HK media reporting this. It’s a 100% Canadian media outlet as stated in my OP.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:18 pm

Sorry OP, but with HK in particular, there is a consensus here that AC’s YVR agents are super experts on HK policies - much more than the actual HK authorities and (in the case of connecting pax) AC agent at other airports. Hopefully they sent the connecting pax back to their origin, especially the non-Canadian ones.

Could’ve seen this train wreck coming weeks ago based on that ex-SEA pax experience and the bizarre AC attitude demonstrated there (coupled with an equally bizarre defence of it by some posters here).

I think the takeaway here is that HKG-bound pax should fly AC at their own peril. They need to be aware of both what the rules are, and what AC YVR agents think they are (since clarifying it with HK authorities isn’t “their responsibility”).
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yulred
Sorry OP, but with HK in particular, there is a consensus here that AC’s YVR agents are super experts on HK policies - much more than the actual HK authorities and (in the case of connecting pax) AC agent at other airports. Hopefully they sent the connecting pax back to their origin, especially the non-Canadian ones.

Could’ve seen this train wreck coming weeks ago based on that ex-SEA pax experience and the bizarre AC attitude demonstrated there (coupled with an equally bizarre defence of it by some posters here).

I think the takeaway here is that HKG-bound pax should fly AC at their own peril. They need to be aware of both what the rules are, and what AC YVR agents think they are (since clarifying it with HK authorities isn’t “their responsibility”).

YVR agents were not involved AFAIK.

on 12/23 0020 AC15 to HKG.......
So YYZ-ICN-HKG

While there have been multiple episodes with AC pax being denied boarding or being stranded in transit, given the mess in HK with ever-changing rules, there have been comments that perhaps AC should just bail out of pax flights. I'm pretty sure AC doesn't want to lose their slots, plus pax and cargo still needs to get there.

However, if one wanders over to SCMP* or other media, you can see a list of airlines including CX, EK and KE among others, who are banned from flying in for multiple weeks due to carrying pax who didn't meet entry qualifications or had tested positive on arrival or other reasons.

I am NOT suggesting any of the pax on this AC 15 flight had not met the requirements, but I'll assume AC agents might prefer to err on the side of not getting lashed by HQ for allowing pax to fly. I am in no way suggesting that these or other AC agents handled it properly, but if the goal posts keep moving for so many routes and destinations, and the rules often change multiple times a day.....

*He's a writer at SCMP and there are details on his page https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by yulred

Not sure if you are referring to this thread? I am fed up with Air Canada and I am suing them But in that thread I believe AC agents acted correctly.

In the case of this thread I believe they may have erred.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by 24left
YVR agents were not involved AFAIK.

So YYZ-ICN-HKG

While there have been multiple episodes with AC pax being denied boarding or being stranded in transit, given the mess in HK with ever-changing rules, there have been comments that perhaps AC should just bail out of pax flights. I'm pretty sure AC doesn't want to lose their slots, plus pax and cargo still needs to get there.

However, if one wanders over to SCMP* or other media, you can see a list of airlines including CX, EK and KE among others, who are banned from flying in for multiple weeks due to carrying pax who didn't meet entry qualifications or had tested positive on arrival or other reasons.

I am NOT suggesting any of the pax on this AC 15 flight had not met the requirements, but I'll assume AC agents might prefer to err on the side of not getting lashed by HQ for allowing pax to fly. I am in no way suggesting that these or other AC agents handled it properly, but if the goal posts keep moving for so many routes and destinations, and the rules often change multiple times a day.....

*He's a writer at SCMP and there are details on his page https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
My mistake - one tipple too many.

Same template though - AC agent at origin thinks paperwork is ok (Why? Who knows.) Pax is boarded and flown to connecting airport. AC agent at the connecting airport decides paperwork is not okay. Pax refused transport.

No attempts are made by AC agents making these decisions to verify requirements with HKG authorities because (we are reliably informed here) ‘it’s not their job’.

One would imagine that if it’s so complex and the stakes are so high, AC would make sure they’re catching the issue earlier, and staying in constant touch with the HK authorities. Instead, they’ve chosen to go with the laziest option - let outstations do what they want, stay away from seeking verification from HK authorities (effectively creating 2 sets of rules - HK’s and whatever the AC agent of the day thinks HK’s rules are), and pin it all on the pax for not knowing both, and being stupid enough for trusting the outstation agent.

The reluctance to pick up the phone is … well… it’s self-explanatory, isn’t it.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Not sure if you are referring to this thread? I am fed up with Air Canada and I am suing them But in that thread I believe AC agents acted correctly.

In the case of this thread I believe they may have erred.
In that case, one AC outstation agent and the HK authorities clearly didn’t agree with the AC YVR agents interpretation.

This case reinforces the template there - right hand doesn’t know what the left hand’s doing (AC outstation and AC YVR/YYZ), and AC doesn’t bother checking with the HK authorities.

The ‘rules’ now seem to depend less on what will actually allow one to enter HKG, than what whichever AC gate agent working decides is acceptable.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 27, 2021 at 10:38 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by 24left

And yet, knowing the dynamic nature of pandemic travel, AC does not seem to have a system in place whereby one of their agents can’t get clarification from someone higher up who has the responsibility to know these things? That’s the puzzle to me—not that an agent will err on the side of caution, etc., but that there seems to be no way for employees to get the backup they need.
SW7London and 24left like this.

Last edited by arf04; Dec 27, 2021 at 3:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.