Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Q: What is a Worldwide Companion Pass (WCP) and how do I get one?

A: Eligible Aeroplan Card Holders receive a WCP annually based on reaching a minimum spend on the applicable credit card.

Q: What can I do with a WCP?

A: When the cardholder, through their Aeroplan account, books a cash Economy ticket through ac.com the cardholder can book a second companion passenger for a flat fee plus applicable taxes with the same fare type.

The pass will be offered as an option when searching an itinerary for 2 (or more) passengers. Premium economy is not included, but Latitude fares are (which potentially can be upgraded at booking, if space is available). The flat fee as of Jan 2023 ranges from $99 to $599 + Applicable taxes and is based on the destination zone you fly to (DOM/TB, Sun Destinations, South America/Middle East/Europe/Africa and Asia/Oceanic).

The current fixed costs can be found here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...nion-pass.html

Q: Can I use it on any flight?

A: No.

In addition to what was mentioned above, the flight must be marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand. And bookings must be made directly with Air Canada, via aircanada.com, the Air Canada Mobile App, or through the Air Canada call centre. Complete Terms and Conditions are on the AC web page referenced above.

Q: So it is the same as the Buddy Pass?

A: The Buddy Pass is very similar but comes from a sign up bonus generally.

Q: Can I use a WCP from my account and not be one of the PAX?

A: No. You must be one of the ticketed PAX,

Q: Can I book more than two people on the same booking?

A: Yes; however, the WCP will only apply to one companion. The remaining companions will pay normal fare.

Q: What happens if I need to make changes or cancel to just one of the PAX?

A: Per the T+Cs Changes and cancellations must be made at the same time for both guests, and failure to do so may result in a forfeit of the Companion Pass." Changes may need to be made by phoning in. To do this, use the general AC number (not the SE or E&% lines etc) and select option (?6, IIRC) which connects you directly to the "specialty/companion desk" for changes to be made.

Q: Do both PAX using a WCP receive SQM? What about SQD?

A: SQM/S is credited for each passenger according to the accrual rules of the fare booked.
SQD is as per usual for the primary passenger, and is the flat fare plus YQ, charged for the companion.

Q: If I spend $25k before my anniversary date, will I get a new WCP soon after meeting the spend?

A: No. You need to wait for your anniversary date to receive your new pass.

Print Wikipost

Worldwide Companion Pass

Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by psiachp
Thanks for asking. There is some good news. I had a WC Pass deposited yesterday! I was waiting for a phone call back from TD as they did they say they would escalate this. I would like to find out what the real rule is so I'll call again tomorrow so I don't have this stress next year (I'm not a natural big spender so I needed some manufactured spend to hit the target)
That's great to hear. Please report back on what they say. I have the same card and I also plan to spend just above $25,000, so sharing of your experience is appreciated!
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:17 am
zam

Latitude to Flex

If I book a latitude fare using the companion pass and then want to switch dates and downgrade to flex after the expiry of the pass, will it carry over?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by zam
If I book a latitude fare using the companion pass and then want to switch dates and downgrade to flex after the expiry of the pass, will it carry over?
The call centre told me that it was possible, but I haven't actually tried it yet.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pingumon
Can the pass be used with a lap infant also added to the booking (i.e. have a cardholder, companion and a lap infant on the booking)?
You ever find an answer to this question?
Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Received my Worldwide Companion Pass yesterday.... about one week after my CC annual date. Isn't it usually several weeks?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by warrens
Received my Worldwide Companion Pass yesterday.... about one week after my CC annual date. Isn't it usually several weeks?
Yes, take the win
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
Does anyone know - if I as an Aeroplan member book a worldwide companion ticket for myself and a companion, and I make myself the primary (expensive latitude fare), will I get the "high" SQD and then my companion if they are a United member, will they get to credit the "B" fare to their mileage plus account despite the cheap fare, or am I forced to use an Aeroplan number for them?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know - if I as an Aeroplan member book a worldwide companion ticket for myself and a companion, and I make myself the primary (expensive latitude fare), will I get the "high" SQD and then my companion if they are a United member, will they get to credit the "B" fare to their mileage plus account despite the cheap fare, or am I forced to use an Aeroplan number for them?
I do know that if both have an aeroplan account, the companion does get credit for the B fare.

Not 100% sure but I don't think the companion needs to have an Aeroplan account, and I would think it should be possible to enter any Star FF number for the companion.

If you try you will find out. Before completing the booking, so no harm to try.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, the primary pax gets full SQD, and the secondary pax, crediting to UA, would get normal Latitude B class earnings.
psiachp likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I did this last year on YVR-LHR - myself with an Aeroplan number and my companion with his United number. Both got status miles, but only I got the SQD.
psiachp likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:05 pm

Today I booked a worldwide companion fare by phone while also using an Electronic Travel Voucher (EMD). It took a full two hours of active phone time (i.e., time spent working with a reservations agent after the initial hold). But I was ultimately successful.

At one point the reservations agent told me that her, a lead agent, and a ticketing agent were all working on my file at the same time

The key thing I learned is that a worldwide companion fare 'voucher' counts as one form of payment. Obviously an EMD counts as another form of payment. So if using a companion voucher and EMD, you can only use either one EMD and another form of payment such as a credit card, or two EMDs if they will cover the entire fare. And this can only be done by phone.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by swonder
The key thing I learned is that a worldwide companion fare 'voucher' counts as one form of payment. Obviously an EMD counts as another form of payment. So if using a companion voucher and EMD, you can only use either one EMD and another form of payment such as a credit card, or two EMDs if they will cover the entire fare. And this can only be done by phone.
That may not be entirely correct but I would imagine the companion pass made things more complicated.
Amadeus allows 3 FOP (forms of payment) **per ticket**. For a PNR using companion pass you have **two** tickets, one for you and one for your companion. Technically it's possible to use 6 FOPs in total for this PNR.
(the following are some of my conjectures) For the main ticket you pay the "full" fare and can use up to 3 FOPs, for the companion ticket, the companion pass counts towards 1 of the 3 FOPs and you can use 2 other FOPs. Or, it could be possible that the companion pass counts towards 1 of the 3 FOPs for both the main ticket and the companion ticket, but still you should be able to use 2 + 2 other FOPs to cover the remaining portion of the two tickets.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
That may not be entirely correct but I would imagine the companion pass made things more complicated.
Amadeus allows 3 FOP (forms of payment) **per ticket**. For a PNR using companion pass you have **two** tickets, one for you and one for your companion. Technically it's possible to use 6 FOPs in total for this PNR.
(the following are some of my conjectures) For the main ticket you pay the "full" fare and can use up to 3 FOPs, for the companion ticket, the companion pass counts towards 1 of the 3 FOPs and you can use 2 other FOPs. Or, it could be possible that the companion pass counts towards 1 of the 3 FOPs for both the main ticket and the companion ticket, but still you should be able to use 2 + 2 other FOPs to cover the remaining portion of the two tickets.
I had heard this before (i.e., 3 forms of payment per ticket) and my starting position was to request application of two EMDs, one per ticket. I won't say it's impossible, but it did genuinely seem like the ticketing and lead agent were trying to do that for me, and the system would not let them in conjunction with the companion fare.
unclepants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:05 pm

Looking to use my WCP for a YYZ-LHR Latitude fare, and upgrading if R is good. (otherwise, I'll cancel)

But it is showing that the ticket is non-refundable. If I remove the WCP and just book for two people, fully refundable.

Is this an error, or does the WCP carry some weird baggage with it? The inconsistency just makes it look like a typical AC IT fail.

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; Jan 30, 2024 at 4:06 pm Reason: add image
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Looking to use my WCP for a YYZ-LHR Latitude fare, and upgrading if R is good. (otherwise, I'll cancel)

But it is showing that the ticket is non-refundable. If I remove the WCP and just book for two people, fully refundable.

Is this an error, or does the WCP carry some weird baggage with it? The inconsistency just makes it look like a typical AC IT fail.
I had this as well. If you read the actual fare details, it's fully refundable. I imagine the actual fare details would overrule a computer generated image.
yulscs likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.