Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Delays due to weather - AC's Daily Travel Outlook page

Old Nov 16, 21, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

As you know, AC has a page called the Daily Travel Outlook. It says "See below for today's outlook on possible disruptions to Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express flights operated by Jazz."

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...outlook.html#/

I noticed a new or interesting feature.

We all know the usual page showing destinations with weather that may affect flights.

And the usual drop down gives us details of Vancouver's "Winter operational conditions"

This is new - at least to me. Since we live in the Great White North ❄️❄️❄️ , I always look at this page when I'm flying during Canada's other season (not construction )

There is now a new label: "Weather recovery". (In this case various destinations are listed for the next 3 days).

The pull down info is interesting, specifically:

"Air Canada Air Canada Express operations are recovering from yesterday's weather." (yesterday being today of course)
and
"Air Canada has revised its ticketing policy to make it easier for customers travelling on an affected flight to make changes to their booking without penalty, space permitting."

MODS - I searched for all types of AC FT threads with weather delays and either they were specific, like YYZ July 22, 2019, or a thread from 2009.

Feel free to move/merge this thread / edit title
Old Jan 17, 22, 11:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This morning at YYZ

Old Jan 17, 22, 11:05 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Tomorrow won't be fun either. I hope they clean everything up before Friday when I make my escape from this weather to Hawaii
Old Jan 17, 22, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE
Given this is what Toronto looked liked this morning, I'm not surprised:

Actually saw an AC FA (in a skirt and stockings no less!) hopelessly waiting at a bus shelter and felt very sorry for her.
24left and Short hair Francis like this.
Old Jan 17, 22, 1:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The inevitable your flight is cancelled email arrived. I dont mind doing Air Canada Camping but all the comfy couches under the escalators are already taken, lol
Old Jan 17, 22, 2:16 pm

Programs: MH Platinum, AC 75k, Accor All Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm currently affected too. My connection got canceled and have been rebooked automatically to tomorrow. I'd like to change the flight timing though but there's no option despite a link in my mail suggesting so. Is this normal and does it just take some time for the system to update?
Old Jan 17, 22, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
I'm currently affected too. My connection got canceled and have been rebooked automatically to tomorrow. I'd like to change the flight timing though but there's no option despite a link in my mail suggesting so. Is this normal and does it just take some time for the system to update?
I had the same problem. The system sent me an email rebooking my outbound to tomorrow but leaving my return tonight, lol.

And it seemed everyone in the MLL received their flight cancellation notices at the same time as they all jumped up and ran to the desk to try and change flights or get hotel vouchers -or try, and of course I really feel for all those people who were rebooked but their tests expire and plus all those stranded in transit and have no luggage. A few have been stranded here for a couple of days.

Many people were told to go downstairs to customer service. If youre in the airport it might be easier than sitting on the phone waiting.
Old Jan 17, 22, 7:08 pm

Programs: MH Platinum, AC 75k, Accor All Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks, I was told in the airport (I went back to departures after clearing customs) "there's no customer service desk". This was scrapped during covid according to two air Canada female staff. All booking changes to be done via app or phone, and when that doesn't work like today it's bad luck.
Old Jan 17, 22, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
Thanks, I was told in the airport (I went back to departures after clearing customs) "there's no customer service desk". This was scrapped during covid according to two air Canada female staff. All booking changes to be done via app or phone, and when that doesn't work like today it's bad luck.
@quinzinho
Was that landside? I was referring to the one airside between gate 20 and the information desk. There was a long line of people waiting there when I left the Caf.

I know a lot of staff couldn't make it to YYZ today which is why they closed the AC Caf mid-afternoon and set us to the MLL. We get to the MLL and agents told all those checking in, no hot food. At some point, a few more desk agents showed up and it seemed all were dealing with the pax and cancelled flights, or those who were automatically rebooked and the rebooked flights were cancelled and then other related issues.

There are 2,000+ stranded bags, there are easily 1,000, possibly more people sleeping all over - airside, landside, in the luggage area, on any seat or flat surface or on their luggage.

It will take days to get this sorted.

I finally bailed an hour ago and rebooked the rebooking. Even if this blizzard doesn't happen again for a while, I didn't mind everything that I learned today.

I also checked the Daily Travel Outlook page. I picked YYZ among the list of cities. The highlighted link leads nowhere, so not helpful.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ellations.html
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 11:45 am

I was affected by the weather event at YYZ on Jan. 17. AC started cancelling flights YYC-YYZ the day before, including mine. Within minutes I was rebooked on a new flight on a 788 that covered several cancellations that departed at the same time as my original flight.

Checked in for new flight and in MLL when notified that flight cancelled at T-1:15. I was now debating cancelling the entire trip as I talked with relatives in Toronto who indicated that the weather was not improving and the forecast looked dire. I was notified a few minutes later of a new flight two hours later. Before accepting, looked at YYZ info and most flights cancelled or severely delayed.

I decided to cancel the trip as it was a refundable CO fare. There was no option on the web or app for my itinerary. The cowtool, PNR showed multiple flights in UN and TK status. Previous experience indicated that online options are not available. MLL agents had no interest in helping, suggesting customer service on concourse or calling contact centre. Wait times were estimated at 1.5 to 2.5 hours. I request a call-back. In the end, I never received a call-back.

Left the MLL and there are at least 50 pax in line at service desk with two agents. I left the secure area expecting a CS desk landslide. Nothing of the sort. Eventually an agent directed me to “priority phones” that were in a corner that was poorly marked. My call was promptly answered and reservation cancelled and refunded. Cancelling the trip was the correct decision as all remaking flights for the day ultimately cancelled.

This is when it got interesting. I went to baggage office to locate my checked bag. I was informed that it was being offloaded from the cancelled flight, and that it was standard procedure to do that for all bags. Had I accepted the new flight, I naively would have waited in the MLL and arrived in YYZ with no bag. Nowhere in the communications from AC did it mention having to retrieve and recheck the bag. This could present another problem of missing the new flight if there was limited time between flights.

I have to commend AC for the prompt communications and rebooking. In most cases a preferred seat similar to my original selection was offered. The only disappointment was limited online options including not being able to select an alternate flight over the one that was presented. Even though I cancelled the PNR, I was still protected on another flight the following day. The cowtool also showed the cancelled PNR for the outbound flight with the return flight removed.
24left likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I assume AC's travel outlook page doesn't include "Stranded Bird Status"

This AC FO flies the A333. Sharing a couple of his comments.

and

and

then

Interesting view of YYZ

Found her , look to the right

arf04 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 22, 11:42 am

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, AC E35K, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Friendly reminder that the "Daily Travel Outlook" Page is still around, and the list is rather large for the next 2 days

Anyone passing through YYZ tonight, FAA/NAV Canada already has a Planned Ground Delay from 16:00 Eastern

vancouver25k likes this.
Old Feb 17, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I've had to change my route 4 times in the last 10 hours due to weather and cancelations.
Old Feb 17, 22, 12:22 pm

AC 128 (arriving 6:12+1) still claims to be on time. 27/30 booked in J, 12 names on upgrade list.
Old Feb 18, 22, 1:58 pm

Super paranoid here for Feb 19

Wind advisory just issued into tomorrow and I have a YYZ to LAX AC flight. It is a must-make (I need to be in LA by Sunday or Im messed). Do planes take off in wind advisories? Just how bad do winds have to be for the flight to be cancelled? A delay well into Saturday is fine.

right now theyre predicting 39kph winds with gusts of 59. Its an A321. Full flight. Am I screwed?

Search this Thread