Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Increasing Check-In Deadline and MCT for Certain TB/INTL itineraries (Oct. 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Increasing Check-In Deadline and MCT for Certain TB/INTL itineraries (Oct. 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM

Apparently starting tomorrow checkin deadline and bag drop off will increase to 90 minutes in YYZ...
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Apparently starting tomorrow checkin deadline and bag drop off will increase to 90 minutes in YYZ...
For international and transborder.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmt18325
For international and transborder.
Glad I checked in on this thread....I've got a TB flight next week. No bags to check, but I assume if (I guess a big 'if'?) I'm able to check in online, it shouldn't matter too much.

On that note, I'm on the morning YYZ-DEN, which is scheduled for 9:15am, but seems checking around in flight status, this flight has left at 10am or later everyday the last few days, and many days I was spot checking on in the last little while. Didn't check other routes, but do I assume this is because those morning flights (to around 9/9:30) is essentially 'rush hour' for TB departures, along with the longer time it takes for health doc checks, etc.? Not that concerned, since I've got a close to 3 hour connection to my UA flight from DEN, so a little late just means I'm in YYZ vs. DEN for a little longer.

This will be my first flight out since Jan. 2020, any advice on timing for the formalities these days (I've got Nexus...though unless something's changed since I last heard, dedicated Nexus security entrance is still closed?). It's just me traveling, so should be on the simple side of things.

Anything else special I need to be concerned about aside from having test results with me (I'll upload it if I can, but I'm on a UA codeshare booking, so not sure if that prevents it), and having the health attestation form for US travel, which I'll fill out prior to arriving. Where do we need to be prepared to hand that in?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I am so glad my fam lives in YYZ...

To reduce congestion at Canada customs over the Christmas period in both Toronto and Montreal, the Minimum Connecting Time (MCT) for customers connecting to domestic flights has been temporarily adjusted between December 1, 2021 - January 9, 2022 (inclusive):

Toronto (YYZ) – International & Transborder arrivals connecting to Domestic increases to 1hr40 – previously 1hr15 (International) & 1hr10 (U.S.A.)
Montreal (YUL) – International & Transborder arrivals connecting to Domestic increases to 1hr30 – previously 1hr (International & U.S.A)
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Ahhhh.... So that is why I've been relegated to an overnight connection! (Why the AC system couldn't adjust my inbound LHR-YYZ to an earlier one is beyond me.)

Also, yikes.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just noticed this gem from the news item on the AC website too:

Additionally for Toronto Pearson flights departing to the U.S. before 12:00pm, to optimize the flow of customers, we’ve introduced a new queue system for security and customs. After you check-in, look for the signage to determine which queue you should enter for your specific flight.
does this mean they are going to meter people into the security area (again - like they used to fro customs when it was first)? Also recommending arriving 3 hours prior to departure at YYZ (really, even with Nexus/GE?).

Speaking of Nexus, is the dedicated nexus entry to security still closed? Is there a priority line? I’m doing my first TB since pre-Covid next week, but usually fly UA. Interesting time for me to try flying AC again.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Speaking of Nexus, is the dedicated nexus entry to security still closed? Is there a priority line? I’m doing my first TB since pre-Covid next week, but usually fly UA. Interesting time for me to try flying AC again.
As of a couple of weeks ago it was still closed.

After security there was a huge regular line through customs but very few people using Nexus.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
As of a couple of weeks ago it was still closed.

After security there was a huge regular line through customs but very few people using Nexus.
Thanks. I still don't get it. You'd think segregating a subset of pax (in this case, those with Nexus/GE, ie, 'trusted travelers') through security would be good from a COVID standpoint, as there would be fewer crowds in both areas. The only reason I can fathom that they'd purposely close the line is if there was a lack of staff - maybe that is actually what's driving it, but of course, GTAA was never much good at managing much of anything, so I suspect its more of that.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Thanks. I still don't get it. You'd think segregating a subset of pax (in this case, those with Nexus/GE, ie, 'trusted travelers') through security would be good from a COVID standpoint, as there would be fewer crowds in both areas. The only reason I can fathom that they'd purposely close the line is if there was a lack of staff - maybe that is actually what's driving it, but of course, GTAA was never much good at managing much of anything, so I suspect its more of that.
We're wandering a bit off topic to AC but I think it's more a matter of "insufficient demand" to justify the separate line.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
We're wandering a bit off topic to AC
Indeed. The moderator in me would note there's a detailed thread on this topic in the Canada forum...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cana...ing-times.html
The Lev likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got an e-mail from AC with information to prepare for my flight on Thursday - testing requirements, safety, airports are busier than normal, etc. interestingly, don’t see any info. On 90 minute requirement. I do see the recommendation that I arrive 3 hours prior to departure time (that part is bolded).
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:58 pm

Just got this for a 789 international to Canada.

Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ugh and now I'm looking at SFO-YYZ/YUL-YOW, and of course, this is causing massive pain.

Anyone know how this will work with a checked bag? Like with such an obnoxious MCT, do I need to short-check my bag, then go and re-check it while doing the SDC to the earlier flight?
Old Nov 13, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Is this 90 minute check-in deadline being enforced? i.e. if I arrive at the airport between 60 to 90 minutes prior to the flight, will I be prevented from checking in?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Are international passengers able to check-in online and get their boarding passes with AC? I've had friends flying internationally in the past few months and today/tomorrow who have tried to check-in online, but not able to complete the check-in and get boarding passes. Always had to show up to a check-in counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.