Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Metro Toronto (Toronto to Mississauga) transit options.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2003, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

In a week and a half, I will have a meeting with someone in his office in Mississuaga (300 block Burnathorpe Road West), followed by a meeting later in the day with someone in downtown Toronto.

I am thinking of flying in, and out, from the Toronto City island airport.

If I do not rent a car, nor take a taxi - are there other transportation options - such as TTC subway, Go Train, Airporter (via Pearson airport etc) to go from downtown to Mississsuage, and back?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 7:46 am

Mapquest plots your address very close to Square One. If you're taking transit, your most expedient route would be to take the subway to Islington Station, then transfer to a Mississauga Transit bus to Square One.

The Mississauga #3 bus is probably your best bet to Square One, and is ridiculously frequent (every ~5 minutes) during rush hours... it leaves every 20 minutes from Islington station during the day. The TTC and Mississauga transit facilities are under one roof at Islington. Just follow the signs.

There is also an Express bus (#86) That runs during peak periods that would carry you just beyond Square One to the stretch of Burnhamthorpe that your final destination is on.

Unfortunately, the TTC and Mississauga Transit have not gotten their act together fare-wise, so you will need to pay $2.25 at your point of entry at the TTC system and again when you hop the Mississauga Transit bus at Islington.

From YTZ to your destination, I would think your journey should take anywhere from 60 - 90 minutes, depending on the length of your connections.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:15 am

The following route goes directly from Union Station to Square One:

21 Milton GO Train & Bus Service

Fare is $3.85 one way. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:18 am

300 Burnhamthorpe - sounds like somewhere close to the Mississauga Central Library as MCL is 301 Burnhamthorpe.

My suggestions:

1. GO Bus. From Union Station, take westbound Milton line GO Bus which you can drop off at Square one (Duke of York/Rathburn) and take the eastbound bus (same route) back to Union. Walk south for 5 minutes to get to your location.

2. GO Train. From Union Station, take Lakeshore GO Train westbound to Port Credit station. Transfer to Mississauga Transit bus route #19 Hurontario (you can only go north) and exit at Square One [Burnhamthorpe/Hurontario]. (Note - you only pay $0.50 rather than the regular $2.25 if you take the Mississauga Transit bus from GO station and shown the driver your GO ticket.) Walk west for 5 minutes to get to your location.

3. TTC, then MT as the previous poster suggested.

Option 2 is faster (because the train is faster). Option 1 is more direct (one bus and that's it) but not as fast because it goes through various stops to pick up other passengers. IMO, use Option 3 only if necessary because you'll be in for a long ride.

Check out http://www.gotransit.com for schedule and route details.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Thank you, for the information.

If I want to fly to Pearson airport, outside of a rental car or a taxi, what are the best options to reach my destination in Mississuaga?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I think the Mississauga Transit bus route #7 goes from YYZ to Square One (Burnhamthrope and Hurontario) via a very circuitous route, but it will get you there, eventually. Not sure which terminal at YYZ it leaves from though.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I have booked my flights, to arrive and depart from the Toronto City Island airport.

If I take the GO Train, the ticket booth and the GO platform are somewhere in Union Station? (I guess I can take both Lakeside and Milton trains?).

If I take the GO bus, is the ticket booth also in Union Station? Is the bus terminal, from Union Station, or from a place nearby?

If one takes a return GO ticket - does one also get the discount returning on Mississuaga (to the Point Credit bus station), of 50 cents?

[This message has been edited by FlyerGoldII (edited 09-20-2003).]
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:48 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Several suggestions:

The most frequent travel from Union Station to the Square One area (Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario) is via GO train, from Union Station westbound, to the Port Credit station (Lakeshore Line) which runs hourly westbound at 43 minutes before the hour. About a 25 minute train ride. From Port Credit, you can take the Mississauga Transit #19 bus to Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario (Hwy. 10) intersection. Show your GO Train ticket to the bus driver in each direction, for the 50 cents one way fare. GO Train, and GO bus tickets may be purchased inside Union Station, on the lower level (same ticket booth for GO buses or GO trains.

GO Buses also run to Square One, via Hurontario, around 20 minutes after each hour, (but infrequently at certain times, so check the schedule) and the trip takes about 30 minutes. You need to take the Cooksville, Square One bus, not the Milton bus, as that one does not go via Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe, but turns west after the Cooksville Station. However, not sure of the early morning schedule from downtown to Mississauga. Tickets for the bus can be purchased inside Union Station (lower level), and the buses leave from outside of Union Station between Bay and Yonge Sts., behind the old post office. Exit Union via the eastern side entrance on Bay St, for the buses.

The Milton Line GO Train only runs during rush hours, with eastbound service in the morning, and westbound during the afternoon rush hours. From the Cooksville GO station, you can get a taxi to your meeting, or take the Mississauga Transit bus up Hurontario to Burnhamthorpe. But this won't work for you if you have a morning meeting in Mississauga.

Your best bet is probably the first option, unless you're sure of an early morning direct GO Bus from Union Station.

You might want to give GO Transit a call for further info : 1-888-438-6646 (toll free), or check their website for schedules and info at: www.gotransit.com

Hope this helps.

bj-21
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I will take the first option. I actually was very careful - I am arriving 2.75 hours before the meeting, at the Toronto City Island airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.