Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Changes check-in deadline to 90mins for TB/INTL, Queuing system at YYZ

Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus

From twitter:

Starting Oct. 13, to reduce congestion at security and customs, the check-in and baggage drop-off deadline will be 90 minutes for all flights from Toronto Pearson International Airport to a U.S. or international destination.

Plus, for Toronto Pearson flights departing to the U.S. before 12:00pm, we’ve introduced a new queue system for security and customs, to optimize the flow. After you check-in, look for the signage to see which queue you should enter for your flight.

We apologize in advance for any additional wait times as we do everything possible to make your travel experience as seamless as possible.
The first part I get, things have been tough but the second part is odd. Does this mean we won't be able to go airside until we're specifically "queued up"?

Last edited by pprrff; Oct 8, 2021 at 2:33 pm Reason: Added second tweet
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
They had something very half baked when I went to ORD in September.

You had to snake through all the lines but when you actually got to the entrance, you went left or right for about 10 seconds, then joined the regular queue.

Hopefully this is a bit more organized....and hopefully Nexus/Priority is easily accessible again for anyone else
Old Oct 8, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I wonder if this will affect Minimum Connection Time for YYZ TB, which is currently 1h10.
kalderlake and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 5:35 pm

Wonder how this will impact connecting passengers when connecting to USA. I am supposed to land in YYZ at 7 AM and connect to a USA flight that leaves at 10 AM...flying business class and was hoping i could go to the lounge for a bit once through customs...
bcard519 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:53 pm
Suspended

There was a thread posted somewhere recently that the minimum connection times in YYZ for and TB + INTL to transborder flights was now 100 minutes.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
Does anybody have any experience and advice on the new YYZ TB check-in and queuing process? I have my first TB trip since COVID next week, and surprised to see the new 3 hr check-in guidance for flights before 12pm. FWIW, I'm still SE and all of us have NEXUS. Are there any priority lanes in the new queuing system for SE or NEXUS (so do I really need to show up 180 mins before the flight)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
Does anybody have any experience and advice on the new YYZ TB check-in and queuing process? I have my first TB trip since COVID next week, and surprised to see the new 3 hr check-in guidance for flights before 12pm. FWIW, I'm still SE and all of us have NEXUS. Are there any priority lanes in the new queuing system for SE or NEXUS (so do I really need to show up 180 mins before the flight)?

Thanks!
IME, the earlier the flight is, the worst the wait. Folks start to line up at Nexus around 5am and the security opens at 6am. So by the time 6am rolls around, there is quite a long queue forming around the back of the terminal. After security, the customs hall is still closed and only opens at 645am. So that means there is another long line to process for Nexus. It moves but it is a lot of standing and waiting.

I recently had an 830am departure and here was my approx time of events:

530am - arrive in terminal and head to Nexus line (maybe 30 people ahead of us)
605am - open security
640am - through security and head to nexus machines. process this and wait in another line
645am - border agents start accepting passengers
725am - in the departure area and head to find a coffee

So in this case it was ~2 hours from arrival

Another recent example was a departure at 630pm

445pm - arrival at airport
450pm - enter nexus line at entrance, was immediately funnelled into the main security area to the front of the line
505pm - processed on nexus machine, waiting in queue to see border agent (my laptop was pulled for secondary inspection which took ages at security)
515pm - in the MLL

My gut is that for departures after ~11am or 12pm, you can arrive way closer to departure (like the good old days). Early AM departures though are still terrible and I try to avoid them now. The solution is for security and border hall to open earlier, for whatever reason they choose not to do this.
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
Thank you -- that's very helpful. Sounds very unpleasant. Our flight is at 9am so it sounds like we really should aim to get there for T-180mins. :-(
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Just a data point. I think the initial rush of people flying has settled down a bit. Usually Mondays are a gong show at YYZ. Yesterday, there was not big line at Nexus or Priority. Customs was mostly empty.

I arrived at 625 for my 815 flight and I was in the lounge at 645. Obviously YMMV...and there is probably a lull now before the holidays but it wasn't as crazy as it was Oct/Nov for Tborder travel.

The lineup for domestic / international non priority checkin lines though were....long. 3+ hours if you don't have any kid of priority is advised
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Just a data point. I think the initial rush of people flying has settled down a bit. Usually Mondays are a gong show at YYZ. Yesterday, there was not big line at Nexus or Priority. Customs was mostly empty.

I arrived at 625 for my 815 flight and I was in the lounge at 645. Obviously YMMV...and there is probably a lull now before the holidays but it wasn't as crazy as it was Oct/Nov for Tborder travel.

The lineup for domestic / international non priority checkin lines though were....long. 3+ hours if you don't have any kid of priority is advised
This must be time dependent? I have flown twice in the last few weeks on International departures during peak Europe redeye window and it was always empty. A bit frustrating that you need to go through D gate security and walk all the way to the E gates but it makes sense since it isn't busy.

Maybe the D gates are busy in the early morning when there are loads of domestic and international (i.e. Caribbean flight) departures?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by SuperCargo

Thanks!
I did TB yesterday (monday) at 10.15 am. Nexus security line closed. regular line had 2 people. security + immigration took 10 mins.
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by seegs
This must be time dependent? I have flown twice in the last few weeks on International departures during peak Europe redeye window and it was always empty. A bit frustrating that you need to go through D gate security and walk all the way to the E gates but it makes sense since it isn't busy.

Maybe the D gates are busy in the early morning when there are loads of domestic and international (i.e. Caribbean flight) departures?
D gates this past Saturday morning ~7am was a complete cluster. Priority and Nexus lines were at a standstill, and a huge back up for any secondary screening of carryon bags.
shuckit likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 7, 2022 at 2:26 am Reason: Profanity
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:52 am

I have a question that said baggage drop off line needs to be 45 minutes for the dead line but if I drop it at 40 minutes does that gonna be ok or what can I do with my bag? thanks
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by edmond00
I have a question that said baggage drop off line needs to be 45 minutes for the dead line but if I drop it at 40 minutes does that gonna be ok or what can I do with my bag? thanks
You need to drop off your bag no later than 45 minutes before departure. After that Air Canada can refuse to check your bag.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
We recommend you arrive 3h prior ... YYZ Transborder

My sister is flying transborder from YYZ this Friday; wheels up 09h00. She just received an email from AC where they "recommend you arrive 3 hours prior to your flight's departure". They add "Please note if you arrive less than 2 hours prior to departure, you're likely to miss your flight."

Anyone doing transborder morning flights from YYZ these days? What's it really like?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.