FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Premium Economy Row 12 or 13? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2054764-premium-economy-row-12-13-a.html)

amira11 Oct 7, 2021 12:18 pm

Premium Economy Row 12 or 13?

I splurged on Premium Economy from Toronto to Paris for next May (Boeing 777-300) and Paris to Toronto (same). My fellow travelers and I are currently in Row 12 (bulkhead) which is a 2-4-2 configuration. We have two of the window seats (12 A,C) and an end seat and the seat next to it in the middle seats (12 D, E). I've read a few posts on this forum about Row 13 being better than 12 due to things like the foot rest and the TV not in the arm rest. However, it is hard for me to think of a scenario where I would rather have someone reclining into me! It also seems easier to stand up or walk to the bathroom from bulkhead.

Any thoughts? None of us are particularly tall; however, it is a red eye, and we paid for this upgrade so we can sleep!

Thank you!

canadiancow Oct 7, 2021 12:26 pm

I always go for bulkhead so no one can recline into me.

yyznomad Oct 7, 2021 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by amira11 (Post 33626481)
I splurged on Premium Economy from Toronto to Paris for next May (Boeing 777-300) and Paris to Toronto (same). My fellow travelers and I are currently in Row 12 (bulkhead) which is a 2-4-2 configuration. We have two of the window seats (12 A,C) and an end seat and the seat next to it in the middle seats (12 D, E). I've read a few posts on this forum about Row 13 being better than 12 due to things like the foot rest and the TV not in the arm rest. However, it is hard for me to think of a scenario where I would rather have someone reclining into me! It also seems easier to stand up or walk to the bathroom from bulkhead.

Any thoughts? None of us are particularly tall; however, it is a red eye, and we paid for this upgrade so we can sleep!

Thank you!

With this being your first post, welcome to FT.

One minor negative point I'll add for the PY bulkhead middle is that people will use that as a crossing point to get to the other aisle. It's a minor thing, but does happen.
I also prefer the footrest in PY so I generally do not choose bulkhead.

To each their own.

lcohen999 Oct 7, 2021 2:54 pm

Bulkhead is great because of what Cow said...however, the one downside is you are closest to the lav and the lineup

last row in PE allows you to put your seat back and leave it there for the whole flight. No need to move it for meals etc.

yyznomad Oct 7, 2021 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 33626888)

last row in PE allows you to put your seat back and leave it there for the whole flight. No need to move it for meals etc.

This, along with the footrest, is why I often choose row 14.

timfountain Oct 7, 2021 5:15 pm

I was a fan of bulkhead until my last PE trip. FYI it is also the row where the bassinette can be attached to the wall. I was subjected to 10 hours of non stop mewling, crying and screaming from a very unhappy rug rat. Not at all pleasant. I would have been even more annoyed if I was on the other side of the divider in business. Uggh.

mapleg Oct 7, 2021 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 33627214)
I was a fan of bulkhead until my last PE trip. FYI it is also the row where the bassinette can be attached to the wall. I was subjected to 10 hours of non stop mewling, crying and screaming from a very unhappy rug rat. Not at all pleasant. I would have been even more annoyed if I was on the other side of the divider in business. Uggh.

My sympathies..but not sure that anywhere in the PE cabin would have been far enough away from those raucous melodies.

amira11 Oct 8, 2021 6:51 am

Thanks for the insight everyone! Very helpful. We have switched to Row 13 and took the 2 seats on each end rather than any of the middle seats. I read some iffy things about the recline in Row 14 on seat guru so decided to avoid! I think Row 13 will work better for us due to the footrest and ability to stow backpacks under the seat rather than having to stow it. I will circle back after our trip and let you all know how I felt about it! :)

EdmFlyBoi Oct 8, 2021 8:12 am

Originally Posted by amira11 (Post 33628258)
Thanks for the insight everyone! Very helpful. We have switched to Row 13 and took the 2 seats on each end rather than any of the middle seats. I read some iffy things about the recline in Row 14 on seat guru so decided to avoid! I think Row 13 will work better for us due to the footrest and ability to stow backpacks under the seat rather than having to stow it. I will circle back after our trip and let you all know how I felt about it! :)

If there is 4 of you I would suggest taking the A and C or H and K seats in 12 and 13. You can switch it up as you go and your travel companions in 12 won't recline into you (that is if the seats are available).

SKYEG Oct 8, 2021 1:27 pm

I'd take bulkhead first, last row second and row 13 last.

Also, do not trust seatguru... It's not accurate in so many cases, especially their "red" seats. sometimes those are the best ones. Their yellow warnings are also ridiculous sometimes and not warranted.

About the recline, do not trust that too. It is only sometimes accurate. Mainly depends on if there is a bulkhead behind, and how far it's positioned. But Seatguru just blindly puts limited recline on back rows for Y/PY/J... I like the back row the best in many cases due to the privacy(less bathroom/foot traffic). Plus no one behind you to creep at you haha.

In this case for sleep and comfort, bulkhead since no one reclining into me and maybe easier getting out of seat in middle of night, if need be.

Seatguru is a terrible site. Use Flyertalk funded http://www.aerolopa.com for the best up to date seat configs for current funded carriers. It's extremely accurate with the pictures including the amount of leg space, where windows are, position of doors etc. I hope AC plane configs will be funded/on that site one day...

I am sure you will be happy with any row you take, and will enjoy your flight :) PY on AC is a nice experience

WaytoomuchEurope Oct 9, 2021 11:43 am

It should also be mentioned that if you’re someone who likes to have entertainment from tip to tail that row 12 has a downside. The screen is tucked into the armrest and must remain there firing take off and landing.

amira11 Oct 11, 2021 7:29 am

Originally Posted by SKYEG (Post 33629088)
I'd take bulkhead first, last row second and row 13 last.

Also, do not trust seatguru... It's not accurate in so many cases, especially their "red" seats. sometimes those are the best ones. Their yellow warnings are also ridiculous sometimes and not warranted.

About the recline, do not trust that too. It is only sometimes accurate. Mainly depends on if there is a bulkhead behind, and how far it's positioned. But Seatguru just blindly puts limited recline on back rows for Y/PY/J... I like the back row the best in many cases due to the privacy(less bathroom/foot traffic). Plus no one behind you to creep at you haha.

In this case for sleep and comfort, bulkhead since no one reclining into me and maybe easier getting out of seat in middle of night, if need be.

Seatguru is a terrible site. Use Flyertalk funded for the best up to date seat configs for current funded carriers. It's extremely accurate with the pictures including the amount of leg space, where windows are, position of doors etc. I hope AC plane configs will be funded/on that site one day...

I am sure you will be happy with any row you take, and will enjoy your flight :) PY on AC is a nice experience

Thank you for your reply! I was actually going by the flyer reviews on seat guru written by people that actually sat in that row, rather than the seat guru seat map, which I know is not always accurate! A lot of people who sat in Row 14 were really unhappy with the recline.

yyztozag Oct 11, 2021 9:03 am

13 and 14 are both good choices. I’ve sat in Row 14 and didn’t notice any difference in the recline. I’d suggest taking 13HK and 14HK.

Cozmo456 Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am

I am always a bulkhead person. But the lav lineup and people grabbing your seat while waiting put me off. The extra length when the footrest is up is also welcome when sleeping. Row 14 often has the bassinet problem behind you. So I agree with your final choices.

yyznomad Oct 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by yyztozag (Post 33635092)
13 and 14 are both good choices. I’ve sat in Row 14 and didn’t notice any difference in the recline. I’d suggest taking 13HK and 14HK.

I have also never noticed a difference in recline in row 14.
But I guess others have so it's a bonus for us that others think we have our placebo seats! IMHO the bulkhead wall behind acts as some sort of psychological barrier for some... but this opinion is just between you and I. :D