Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Verification of Canadian Vaccine Requirement for Air Travel (begins October 30)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Verification of Canadian Vaccine Requirement for Air Travel (begins October 30)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I am confused about this pre departure requirements out of Canada. What else apart from the vaccination record do you need to fly out? I know that a lot of countries ask for negative PCR report but what does AC want ion Canada to board?
Nothing is changing with respect to AC's checking of entry requirements for your destination.

The only thing relevant to this thread is that AC will be verifying vaccine status before allowing you to board any AC flight.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Nothing is changing with respect to AC's checking of entry requirements for your destination.

The only thing relevant to this thread is that AC will be verifying vaccine status before allowing you to board any AC flight.
Thank you very much.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by canolakid
Manitoba has been issuing 'proof of COVID19 immunization' cards since June... there is even an app for third party validation of your code.
But, annoyingly, the QR code does not appear on the printed version of the MB immunization certificate.

When Ms SWMBO Stanbury tried to use the MB QR code for an internal AF flight, CDG-MPL , the French (well, European) App which reads QR codes from the Pass Sanitaire gave an angry squawk and a big red mark of some sort appeared on the agent's screen. However, the written version of her MB certificate (in French!) was accepted with no problem. Fortunately both our PS's arrived a day or so later.

My guess is there will be humungous issues when (fully vaccinated) people visiting Canada try to present their national "fully vaccinated" certificates at CDN airports when they are ether connecting off their inbound international flight or using an internal flight by itself. Maybe some enterprising individual will operate an ObiWan Meet and Greet start-up. As in "You don't need to look at her certificate. She is fully vaccinated".

Will Canada make the long-awaited Vaccine Passport available to citizens/residents of other countries, in the way that Europe has done for the Pass Sanitaire? My guess is no, but I am not sure I understand why. Actually, I am sure that I don't understand why.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Looking forward to my YHZ Saturday morning under the new rules and seeing if this will be a gong show!
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by Stanbury
But, annoyingly, the QR code does not appear on the printed version of the MB immunization certificate.

When Ms SWMBO Stanbury tried to use the MB QR code for an internal AF flight, CDG-MPL , the French (well, European) App which reads QR codes from the Pass Sanitaire gave an angry squawk and a big red mark of some sort appeared on the agent's screen. However, the written version of her MB certificate (in French!) was accepted with no problem. Fortunately both our PS's arrived a day or so later.

My guess is there will be humungous issues when (fully vaccinated) people visiting Canada try to present their national "fully vaccinated" certificates at CDN airports when they are ether connecting off their inbound international flight or using an internal flight by itself. Maybe some enterprising individual will operate an ObiWan Meet and Greet start-up. As in "You don't need to look at her certificate. She is fully vaccinated".

Will Canada make the long-awaited Vaccine Passport available to citizens/residents of other countries, in the way that Europe has done for the Pass Sanitaire? My guess is no, but I am not sure I understand why. Actually, I am sure that I don't understand why.
There is now a pan Canadian proof of vaccination, issued by (so far) 9 of 13 jurisdictions in Canada, including Manitoba. To get it, you log into the same system that you used to get your Manitoba Immunization Card.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:18 am

A few of the Provinces has no clue as to what is going on. I am trying to get my wife's vaccination record entered to the Provincial data base with a foreign vaccinated record. They can't seem to find a way to do this. It is funny that the Federal Government accepts the foreign vaccination record but the Provincial Government cannot find a way to do this. So do not know what is going to happen once all these things are in place with the QR code.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I had some conversations this week with various AC staff, from different areas of the company on the subject of the vaccine doc requirement. I had received a large batch of emails for many PNRs - including some where the requirement did not apply as travel was prior to Oct 30. There were also instructions or directions in the emails that did not work, and a call to AC confirmed that the emails did not convey what their internal docs had clearly specified for agents, concierges and such.

My view, even as of yesterday while on the call with AC, was that it would be a section in the app similar to the Covid questionnaire. And it was.

For the benefit of anyone who might be interested, here are the images from check-in this morning.

And it doesn't matter than many on this forum are FFs and experienced. What matters is flying in the Now Times s a challenge for almost everyone, not so much because a test or document may be required but because the rules change often enough to cause problems for many.

I think AC did a good job here. I may try and use the browser version for another flight check-in and see how that looks - or someone else here can post their experience.

Also, it would be nice if the vaccine doc with QR code could be added to the check-in process or the Aeroplan profile, but that may be too much work for AC....at least for now.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
My Monday flight will be interesting...as will my transborder next week when the new US rules kick in.

Either way, very happy to see this....and feel bad for the staff who have to deal with the entitled non vaxers who will try and make an issue out of it
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This was what showed on all the email version BPs from the other flights this week.

The new bit on the BP from this morning

Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by jmt18325
There is now a pan Canadian proof of vaccination, issued by (so far) 9 of 13 jurisdictions in Canada, including Manitoba. To get it, you log into the same system that you used to get your Manitoba Immunization Card.
Thank you, yes, I was aware of this though I haven't yet tried to acquire it. But my question -- and scepticism -- was whether this Canadian PoV would be made available to non-Canadian residents, in the same way that the French Pass Sanitaire and its equivalents in other EU countries, and which are valid throughout the EU (and elsewhere), are.
jmt18325 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:57 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Thank you, yes, I was aware of this though I haven't yet tried to acquire it. But my question -- and scepticism -- was whether this Canadian PoV would be made available to non-Canadian residents, in the same way that the French Pass Sanitaire and its equivalents in other EU countries, and which are valid throughout the EU (and elsewhere), are.
That's really a question for the Canada forum, where there's a thread on the vaccine passports themselves: Vaccine Passports for Canada?

I'll ask that further discussion of that topic continue in that thread, as this thread is meant to be specific to AC's implementation of the vaccine requirement.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:11 am

It is interesting that they are asking for a negative test within 72 hours of departure from Canada. Does this mean only for departing passengers who could not provide a record of full vaccination?

Is this proof of vaccination asked at Check In? I have a domestic flight and then a short International Connection at YYZ. All on AC. Where do you think that I have to show my vaccine record? I do not think I have to pass through security at YYZ. At least before covid it is a thru flight where I simply get off the domestic flight and walk to the International Departure Gates.

Last edited by Davvidd; Oct 30, 2021 at 5:41 am
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Davvidd
It is interesting that they are asking for a negative test within 72 hours of departure from Canada. Does this mean only for departing passengers who could not provide a record of full vaccination?

Is this proof of vaccination asked at Check In? I have a domestic flight and then a short International Connection at YYZ. All on AC. Where do you think that I have to show my vaccine record? I do not think I have to pass through security at YYZ. At least before covid it is a thru flight where I simply get off the domestic flight and walk to the International Departure Gates.
Full vaccination does not necessarily exempt you from testing requirements. If you're heading to an international destination, you'll need to fulfill the requirements (including testing requirements, if any) for the destination country on departure, and then you'll need to fulfill Canada's testing requirements if/when you return to Canada.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Flew out of YYZ on October 30 and was not asked for proof of vaccination at any point. In YVR currently and the MLL asked for proof, and it sounds as if they are asking passengers to present proof at the gates as well (sitting by the Tim's downstairs by the Express gates).

As for my own flight, I was told that the visual proof was not needed and that the attestation was good enough.

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; Oct 30, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:35 am

Flew on AC Express today out of YYZ and there was no additional verification. Did my attestation online and that was about it. The lounge dragon who helped me was on the phone so she didn't care to really look at my vaccine proof (and didn't require ID contrary to local requirements). No checks at boarding either.

I did overhear another passenger in the gate area complaining about how this law came into effect after she booked. I didn't catch if she said she was vaccinated (assuming not if you're going to complain) and only said she's tested once every two weeks to visit an LTC home...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.