Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Verification of Canadian Vaccine Requirement for Air Travel (begins October 30)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Verification of Canadian Vaccine Requirement for Air Travel (begins October 30)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But in theory, it only needs to be confirmed once per person, ever. So if they can do something intelligent like let you save it to your Aeroplan profile...
Could end up to be more than once with the adoption of booster jabs. Israel, for example, recently announced that vaccine status would be considered “stale dated” after 6 months. I believe Austria and Croatia have taken the same position. Should this happen, I hope there’s some easy way to update vaccine status because the necessity of boosters seems very likely.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I certainly hope vaccine info can be uploaded in advance. Something like what we already do with Nexus. Surely the program could then do the math (not AC staff). Otherwise, particularly during holiday times, I foresee long wait times even for status pax.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 9, 2021 at 3:34 pm Reason: Remove quote of deleted post
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
In the event the Canadian National vaccine passport doesn't come by October 30th, perhaps the no brainer way would be for Air Canada and Westjet to give their airport staff tablets pre-loaded with the QR code verification apps for each province in Canada (and perhaps a few other jurisdictions such as the EU verification apps)?

This way, they can at least verify the vaccine documentation presented by the majority of Canadians(and other QR code jurisdiction)?

Example : If someone presents a QR code from BC, scan using the BC VaccineCard Verifier app, if someone presents a QR code from Quebec, scan using the VaxiCode Verif app, if someone presents a EU Digital Covid Certification, scan using the TAC Verif app (or any other EU verification app).
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
In the event the Canadian National vaccine passport doesn't come by October 30th, perhaps the no brainer way would be for Air Canada and Westjet to give their airport staff tablets pre-loaded with the QR code verification apps for each province in Canada (and perhaps a few other jurisdictions such as the EU verification apps)?

This way, they can at least verify the vaccine documentation presented by the majority of Canadians(and other QR code jurisdiction)?

Example : If someone presents a QR code from BC, scan using the BC VaccineCard Verifier app, if someone presents a QR code from Quebec, scan using the VaxiCode Verif app, if someone presents a EU Digital Covid Certification, scan using the TAC Verif app (or any other EU verification app).
That's only good for provinces that have a verification app...

Mind you, I can always show my French bar code even though it is based upon Alberta vaccinations. :-).
canadiancow and jmt18325 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's only good for provinces that have a verification app...

Mind you, I can always show my French bar code even though it is based upon Alberta vaccinations. :-).
Hello, fellow EU-Canada "vaccine dual citizen" :-) !

I received my EU Digital Covid Certificate from France based on BC vaccinations the day after I was supposed to arrive in France (had to cancel my trip for other reasons). Perhaps I can use that as it looks more "official"?
jmt18325 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This will get extremely cumbersome if it's done manually for every flight. I'd like to see AC roll out something where vaccination status could be attached to our Aeroplan profiles.
I've suggested this to the lounge dragons at the MLLs where *surprise surprise* people are never ready to show proof at check in. I have it saved on my phone but it would speed things up if you could just scan your BP and you are good to go.

I'm sure Mark Nasr and their digital team have something in the works since he alluded to uploading you vaxx status for certain international destinations.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I don't get why more airlines don't get on board with VeriFly. Flying AA and BA is SO EASY if you use that app.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Fortunately domestic flyers will only have to show their vaccination papers (and by month's end all but a couple of provinces will have QR coded "passports") and not COVID tests so it could go faster, but AC must staff up the front line at check-ins since the kiosks won't be of much use to confirm vaccination status. I'm sure we'll see a new page on. the OLCI process to indicate our status, but this still must be confirmed in person, either at airport check-in or at the gate. And we all know how understaffed gates have also become.
When you fly AC internationally, you are asked to upload your vaccination and/or Covid test as part of the online check-in process. The system then validates the information. They may use the same system and not require in-person re-confirmation.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
When you fly AC internationally, you are asked to upload your vaccination and/or Covid test as part of the online check-in process. The system then validates the information. They may use the same system and not require in-person re-confirmation.
The data isnt "validated" per se - rather AI scans the paper work for the right details. There isnt a current system to check it against any lists of vaccine rolls from provinces. Internationally, its even more difficult. There is no way that AC (or the provinces, etc) will get access to American vaccine rolls. This just presents a logistical challenge that isnt about provincial systems. AC is a global airline.....there will never be a fool proof way to verify ever person agains a secret government list of vaccine rolls for every government. There is no way at least half of the USA will allow the lists be used.....so does AC not accept anyone that was vaccinated in say FL or TX?

i heard this is merely being implemented as a simple declaration click at first as there is no infrastructure for airlines to check the validiity of the passports anyway.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I got my ADOC on my most recent flight by "signing" the ATTS.

Agent said it was because I declared in the attestation that I had a negative test.

So.. ."AI" ... sure. I've had better luck getting ADOC by not uploading my test (or showing it to anyone) than I have by uploading it.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
Not all provinces have a verification app. Remember, Alberta does not have a "vaccine passport," merely a QR code. But no verification tool.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
The data isnt "validated" per se - rather AI scans the paper work for the right details. There isnt a current system to check it against any lists of vaccine rolls from provinces. Internationally, its even more difficult. There is no way that AC (or the provinces, etc) will get access to American vaccine rolls. This just presents a logistical challenge that isnt about provincial systems. AC is a global airline.....there will never be a fool proof way to verify ever person agains a secret government list of vaccine rolls for every government. There is no way at least half of the USA will allow the lists be used.....so does AC not accept anyone that was vaccinated in say FL or TX?
And you seriously think that an employee (or third party) who asks for your vaccine information when you check in or at the gate validates that what you show them is on a government database?

They are basically doing the same thing as AC's "AI" system - yup looks like some sort of vaccine certificate and yup the name matches.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
And you seriously think that an employee (or third party) who asks for your vaccine information when you check in or at the gate validates that what you show them is on a government database?

They are basically doing the same thing as AC's "AI" system - yup looks like some sort of vaccine certificate and yup the name matches.
Yesterday to get into YYZ TB MLL, she asked for proof of vaccine, I pulled up my digital CA card, she saw it was a barcode, and that was sufficient for her.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yesterday to get into YYZ TB MLL, she asked for proof of vaccine, I pulled up my digital CA card, she saw it was a barcode, and that was sufficient for her.

would
||❚❚|||

have cut it?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YVR ,YUL and YYZ lounges were all at capacity yesterday, lineups to get in.
I was stopped at elevator at YYZ lounge. Staff was telling us no room available and would lose their liquor license if we stayed. Sheesh!!
Went to Priority Lounge with no issues but same requests for ID and proof of vaccination

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.