Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Actress's sons (one minor) stranded after AC gate agent asks for original credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actress's sons (one minor) stranded after AC gate agent asks for original credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

https://heavy.com/entertainment/hall...ed-at-airport/

Seems there could be a better process than clearing any credit card fraud concerns last minute at the gate. Heck, if AC asked me to produce payment card I'd have 50/50 odds of carrying that particular card.

//also would someone trying to travel on a stolen credit card even bother trying to fight AC to cover hotel accomodations?
naoumy likes this.

Top Answer

Oct 5, 2021, 8:58 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There were two "boys", only *one* of whom was a minor and the other one apparently had (or certainly should have had) a credit card. They went to a hotel for the night and were not stranded in the terminal, although it remains to be seen whether the cost of the airport hotel will be reimbursed. Presumably the nonminor son was capable of taking care of the minor brother for the night. (There's no indication that the younger son was set up as an official UM on the flight.)
While I agree with everything you've said, I don't think it's relevant. Two people were refused transport because they didn't have the credit card that was used to purchase the ticket. They were not even given accommodations.

I don't care if it's a 4 year old or a 40 year old. It's unacceptable.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Last minute expensive (J) ticket, cardholder not on the flight... if something was going to trigger this, that would be it.

@expert7700 I doubt you'd ever experience what you're "worried" about, because you'd be present, and your name matches your credit card.

But there has to be a better way of dealing with this than telling them while boarding that they need to produce the card. That's not even enough time to think through your options.
polinka likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
This was so terribly handled by AC, it's actually quite sad. Many other ways they could have went with this...
N1120A, polinka and Fiordland like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
This isn't the first time, and won't be the last time.

I'm more annoyed at AC procedures dumping this on line staff who should have no access to financial information (beyond implications of fare class), no responsibility for cash considerations. It's enough to worry about getting a flight out on time, as full as possible, stranded PAX taken care of.Enforcing fraud detection, accounts receivable, is both too much and incompatible with service.
LETTERBOY, polinka, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There were two "boys", only *one* of whom was a minor and the other one apparently had (or certainly should have had) a credit card. They went to a hotel for the night and were not stranded in the terminal, although it remains to be seen whether the cost of the airport hotel will be reimbursed. Presumably the nonminor son was capable of taking care of the minor brother for the night. (There's no indication that the younger son was set up as an official UM on the flight.)
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
While I agree with everything you've said, I don't think it's relevant. Two people were refused transport because they didn't have the credit card that was used to purchase the ticket. They were not even given accommodations.

Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What is unacceptable is AC not making this clear up front, or at least before they get to the gate.

Fraud knows no bounds, and human trafficking doesn't either.

As you said, last minute high priced J is unusual. Different names, very unusual. You don't need big data to be curious.

It one of them wasn't a minor? Day over whatever... They can deal, or they can ask to see the police for their own safety, or its their parents fault for putting them in a legally adult place they can't deal with.

Or the snakehead lost a couple, despite careful corrosive grooming of the legal adult.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Last minute expensive (J) ticket, cardholder not on the flight... if something was going to trigger this, that would be it.

@expert7700 I doubt you'd ever experience what you're "worried" about, because you'd be present, and your name matches your credit card.

But there has to be a better way of dealing with this than telling them while boarding that they need to produce the card. That's not even enough time to think through your options.
Or they could have booked through any travel agent and bypass all of AC's fraud protection. And AC loses revenue for that one through paying for commission, too.

Hilarious.
GUWonder and Twickenham like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
I agree it is unacceptable.

I also have a 50-50 shot of having the original credit card available at the time of boarding . . . and without some guidance from the agent would not be able to produce one.

At a minimum, is this not denied boarding subject to a $2,400.00 penalty per passenger? (So $4,800.00)

Plus possibly a human rights complain depending on which Provinces were involved.
polinka likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
At a minimum, is this not denied boarding subject to a $2,400.00 penalty per passenger? (So $4,800.00)
No, "denied boarding" is defined as an overbooked flight. If it's not overbooked, AND that wasn't the reason for the refusal, it's not DB.
LETTERBOY and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
I also have a 50-50 shot of having the original credit card available at the time of boarding . . . and without some guidance from the agent would not be able to produce one.
I am curious what the process would be for corporate travelers who have a Travel Agent book their tickets using a corporate credit card for which the traveler has no access to.
If asked by check-in to produce the card used to book the flight, the corporate traveler would have no ability to provide such card.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by expert7700
https://heavy.com/entertainment/hall...ed-at-airport/

Seems there could be a better process than clearing any credit card fraud concerns last minute at the gate. Heck, if AC asked me to produce payment card I'd have 50/50 odds of carrying that particular card.

//also would someone trying to travel on a stolen credit card even bother trying to fight AC to cover hotel accomodations?
Was the ticket bought directly from Air Canada’s own owned distribution channels?

Buying via major US OTAs — or their Canadian sites — can greatly reduce the risk of being flagged down for credit card presentation compared to purchases made directly with the carrier.

For some of my bookings directly with airlines where I was asked to show the booked credit card, I’ve at times used a photo of card (front/back) or just provided the information from memory to let them key in or waive what they can at check-in and airport ticket counters.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: UA
Maybe the flight was overbooked and they were looking for any excuse to deny boarding?
Twickenham and cemlaw like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It's fascinating that so many people find this strange or untoward, when it's pretty common with a lot of carriers.

see, for example, this remarkably similar post from six years ago
https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/23144776/proof-of-credit-card-used-to-purchase-ticket/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2025299-i-need-have-physical-credit-card-used-buy-ticket-board-2.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1864657-asked-show-original-credit-card-but-ticket-purchased-using-virtual-cc-number.html

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 6, 2021 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
It's fascinating that so many people find this strange or untoward, when it's pretty common with a lot of carriers.

see, for example, this remarkably similar post from six years ago
https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog...rchase-ticket/
True. This said, most carriers are clear about the requirement. What I don't know is, does AC make the requirement clear?

A relative of mine coming from overseas had a similar issue once. She does not believe in credit cards, so she had another relative pay her ticket. Luckily she was able to get him on the phone to confirm. That was about ten years ago BTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.