Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Actress's sons (one minor) stranded after AC gate agent asks for original credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actress's sons (one minor) stranded after AC gate agent asks for original credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So is this only a problem with phone orders or is there a risk with internet bookings?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
The CVC/CVV code on the back of a credit card is there to deal with this exact issue, known as a Card Not Present transaction. The reason it is there is so that you don't have to physically present the CC to verify it. If fraud is suspected, call the Police.
N1120A and folkart like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Guvner067
The CVC/CVV code on the back of a credit card is there to deal with this exact issue, known as a Card Not Present transaction. The reason it is there is so that you don't have to physically present the CC to verify it. If fraud is suspected, call the Police.
Credit cards have had "multiple" factors to attempt to prove one is physically in possession of a card for a long, long time. The physical embossing was a first thing (or maybe recording the expiry date). Signatures, magnetic "track 2" data, CCV/2, chip/pin all are part of this. Note that no card "ever" has had CCV2 numbers embossed; it takes time to do both the ca-chunk-ca-chunk with the embosser, mag swipe, or chip usage, as expected in person.

But a card physically being there, or at least in the hands of the person on the other end of the interwebs, is not the same thing as the card's use being authorized.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:57 pm

So nobody, ever, has bought anything online or on the phone with a credit card and had it delivered, card unsighted? Or if they have, it's not authorized? Might need to shut down Amazon.
The card is authorized at purchase, not at the gate.
N1120A likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:07 pm

So nobody, ever, has bought anything online or on the phone with a credit card and had it delivered, card unsighted? Or if they have, it's not authorized? Might need to shut down Amazon.
The card is authorized at purchase, not at the gate.
Its the responsibility of the merchant to establish authorization. The CC company helps, to be sure, but the risk is the merchants. By that I mean if there is a dispute by the card holder, done in good faith (which is at least always "the first time"), then the merchant gets the money taken away with basically no recourse. The CC companies (brands, clearing houses, banks, issuers, etc) are "never" on the hook.

Its quite reasonable that AC take interest in fraud prevention.

The details and response to this particular case, however.....
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:16 pm

I fully understand how CC's work.
The card was authorized and there was no proof of fraud. If fraud was suspected, then call the Police. The alleged "perpetrators" are present at the gate, they are not anonymous internet scammers.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:35 pm

I fully understand how CC's work.
The card was authorized and there was no proof of fraud. If fraud was suspected, then call the Police. The alleged "perpetrators" are present at the gate, they are not anonymous internet scammers.
No one is calling the police over < $10k in attempted fraud.

Now, this gets into the deep parts of this all. A credit card charge is never really truly authorized until the time runs out and the holder can't complain any more, which might be 90 or 180 days after the transaction (or delivery of service, FOB of goods, etc).

And AC is further not really good at "identity". One needs to do a better job of proving identity to get a Tinder account than to buy a AC ticket, even involving national borders.

There is a complaint driven, statistically analyzed, mostly works, sometimes error, system. Not entirely on AC to fix. Not even mostly on AC to fix.

Customer service details aside, AC was well within their rights to deny the provisioning of service. They well could have hive-mind decided it was fraudulent, but to let this one go at the gate, with the corporate suits not being faced with children in front of them, flagged and denied the card the next time, while letting the smiling, but trafficked children, board. They did not.

The details of the hive mind decision is classic AC customer capriciousness..... But not fundamentally unreasonable.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by mountainboy
Should I start contacting AC every time I book someone else a ticket? (I do it quite often).
Or are you suggesting that AC should contact the passengers prior to the flight? (Which they didn't do in this instance).
Which do you mean...
That’s your personal choice. You decide based upon the characteristics of the transaction. If you are going to be sending a kid across an international border in this manner, there is a possibility the transaction will be questioned. The airline has no obligation to contact the passenger prior to the flight. Nor is a merchant obliged to extend credit to its customers. The obligation is on the customer to be able to support the extension of credit.
This was an ecommerce transaction where the card was not present for physical verification . The typical issuing bank agreement obliges the merchant to assume the cost (loss) of this type of transaction if the transaction following the purchase, is deemed fraudulent. The airline has a legal right to verify the purchase transaction.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That would never hold up in court. Any time after travel has commenced? Even if you look at the most optimistic scenario where the cardholder drops off their kid at the airport, gets them checked in, and they take their first segment... now you're going to deny them at their connection point because the cardholder isn't there?
Or let's look at this specific case, where the card was requested at the gate, in the transborder departures area of YVR. It would not have been even possible to get the cardholder there.
Generally, contract terms that say "We can refuse to honor the contract unless you do something impossible" are not enforceable.
People quote the tariff as law far too often. Contract disputes happen all the time, and "it was in the contract" is not a guaranteed-to-win defense.
And even if it is upheld, that doesn't make it reasonable. But this case wouldn't get to that point, because AC refused transport when the young men were unable to do something impossible.
But that brings up another point... what if they did have the card. The card, in someone else's name. Would that have sufficed? Because that just means you need to be a pickpocket and not a cyber-criminal to use a stolen card on AC.

Yeah, I booked my minor cousin a YYZ-YHZ earlier this year. I have no idea why she went through me rather than her parents (I had an email money transfer immediately after payment, so she really just needed someone with a credit card). I did not go to the airport. She had no issue flying.

I am not as confident of your knowledge of credit card contracts and legal obligations as you are. The two passengers were challenged at check in. You are off on a tangent offering scenarios that did not occur. What ifs are not relevant to this case as they are imagined scenarios without any supporting fact. Each case must be examined on its own merits.

In respect to the tariff reference to merchant redress subsequent to the start of travel, there are times when a fraudulent transaction is discovered after a passenger departs. Systems can be down, delays in confirmation can occur etc. The language of the tariff allows the airline to address the scenario should it occur. Again, the facts of a specific incident will determine the response.
The Air Canada tariff language in respect to payment has been tested in the courts and has held up over the years.. The tariff reflects the legal obligations and duties of Air Canada as a merchant and offers the merchant a reasonable means of protecting itself.

There is a fixation upon the credit card transaction itself. The complete event and its characteristics must be considered. There are family custody disputes with children removed from Canada every year. This was an International flight, not a domestic jaunt. There is a distinct problem in some communities of family members being coerced into travel for reasons such as "honour", marriage or sexual identity. It is no secret and there are "bountiful" illustrative cases.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Oct 7, 2021 at 11:09 pm
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The airline has no obligation to contact the passenger prior to the flight. Nor is a merchant obliged to extend credit to its customers. The obligation is on the customer to be able to support the extension of credit.
You seem highly focused on the legalese here.

There's what AC is legally entitled to do, and what it should have done. If they truly waited until boarding to verify the card, then refused to speak to the person who could do so, regardless of whether that was legal (I'm not going to debate that one way or the other), it's not how they should have handled it; call it principles of customer service.

The two passengers were challenged at check in.
What's your source for that? Her tweets refer to "gate agent" and talk about not "boarding" the plane, which strongly imply they were airside - not at check-in - when this occurred, and none of the articles I read suggest anything to the contrary.

You are off on a tangent offering scenarios that did not occur.
​​​​​
As are your repeated references to custody disputes. Not only did that not come up anywhere in the article that prompted this thread (or any others I found online), showing the credit card used to book a ticket would do nothing to prevent an unauthorized person from removing a child from the country. There is an entirely separate set of paperwork for that. So, with my moderator hat on, unless you have information from a public source that the issue here was actually about transporting a minor internationally, I'll ask that this off topic subject be dropped.
GUWonder, yyznomad, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:46 pm

Very similar thing just happened for me. Booked a flight for a friend who didn’t have a credit card from Yul-ytz and they couldn’t check in because they didn’t have the card that paid for the flight. Gate agent said only way was for me to go to ytz and talk to a gate agent there and verify. Lucky I wasn’t far. Talked to a gate agent who put a note on the reference saying it was verified but that on top of that they needed the credit card number in Montreal even though it was verified in Toronto.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
On CBC yesterday https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6206511
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cemlaw
I had this happen at a resort once. My firm booked the week for a conference and when I showed up to check in, I naturally didn't have the firm's card. It was VERY expensive and I had to pay myself and then get reimbursed. There were times in my life when that wouldn't have been possible. Never understood how they can't recognize a corporation making a reservation.
More common than not. Quite common in a smaller company to have an admin assistant take care of booking the flights and hotels and putting them on a company card. In fact AC and WS provide portals to manage such bookings.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
More common than not. Quite common in a smaller company to have an admin assistant take care of booking the flights and hotels and putting them on a company card. In fact AC and WS provide portals to manage such bookings.
And such tickets would, presumably, would have a different threat analysis applied.... Possibly tighter in some cases, if a new named PAX was booked on a route outside that companies standard history.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The denied PAX called someone, offered to hand over the phone, and have some unverified voice say everything was OK?

How would that prove anything?
with today's technologies, it is easy for the GA to demand proof (ex: facetime showing id and credit card numbers on the back and front or a sign authorization and send it by email) it comes down to whether the GA wants to do the extra mile.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
No one mentioned the African elephant in the room. I normally hate when people resort to blaming things like racism but suspect it had something to do with it.
https://www.triptipedia.com/tip/dg6s...ng-this-policy

About eighty airlines have this policy. The section "How Will I know if the credit card will be needed at the airport?" may be helpful.

I agree that more advice to people, especially parents, about how to handle the situation would be helpful. However, for the kids to merely calling someone supposedly the card owner to verify the purchase isn't going to work, as someone above already pointed out.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.