Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Sobeys selling AC gift cards 10% off until October 6, 2021

Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Plat, Hyatt Glob

Just noticed that Sobeys is offering AC gift cards at 10% off until Oct 6. Works really well for anyone who recently applied for the Amex AE Reserve card (like me) and is getting 10X points on grocery store purchases as a welcome bonus for the first 6 months!

Note that the largest gift card you can buy is $500. Because AC limits you to 2 payment methods, if your ticket is >$1000, you'll only be able to use one gift card and the balance will have to be paid with a credit card (or large travel voucher if you have one).
tcook052, gcashin and imverge like this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Just noticed that Sobeys is offering AC gift cards at 10% off until Oct 6. Works really well for anyone who recently applied for the Amex AE Reserve card (like me) and is getting 10X points on grocery store purchases as a welcome bonus for the first 6 months!

Note that the largest gift card you can buy is $500. Because AC limits you to 2 payment methods, if your ticket is >$1000, you'll only be able to use one gift card and the balance will have to be paid with a credit card (or large travel voucher if you have one).

Thanks for sharing. Kicking myself for not seeing before I left the country.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
This offer is also available at Safeway in the West. If you also collect Air Miles, buy $750 Sobeys/Safeway gift card(s) first, get 500 Air Miles (maximum amount with this offer). Then use this to buy discounted Aeroplan gift cards.

Ron.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Thanks for sharing. Kicking myself for not seeing before I left the country.
Does the welcome bonus include gift card purchases at grocery stores? I thought the T and C of the promotion excluded gift card purchases from grocery stores?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Does the welcome bonus include gift card purchases at grocery stores? I thought the T and C of the promotion excluded gift card purchases from grocery stores?
I don't think Amex knows the difference. They just see a purchase from Sobeys. My promo period with the 10X finished last month, so I can't combine the AC discount and the bonus miles, but before the promo ended for me, I bought a bunch of other gift cards at Sobeys from places I frequently shop at, just to use up the full 50,000 points bonus on the 10X food and grocery bonus. I received the full bonus, even on purchases that were all gift cards.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

This is great, it's been a while since I bought AC discounted gift cards at Sobey's. I also just received my Reserve card, but do not recall a welcome bonus on groceries. Thanks for the info
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
This offer is also available at Safeway in the West. If you also collect Air Miles, buy $750 Sobeys/Safeway gift card(s) first, get 500 Air Miles (maximum amount with this offer). Then use this to buy discounted Aeroplan gift cards.

Ron.
The small print say you cant buy a gift card with a gift card. However, I find young, male cashiers are the BEST as they are oblivious to the rules.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
This is great, it's been a while since I bought AC discounted gift cards at Sobey's. I also just received my Reserve card, but do not recall a welcome bonus on groceries. Thanks for the info
I got mine in July and that was part of my sign up bonus.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 3, 2021 at 1:20 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
The small print say you cant buy a gift card with a gift card. However, I find young, male cashiers are the BEST as they are oblivious to the rules.
Actually, the small print says you cannot buy a corporate (another sobeys/lawtons/safeway/ect gift card) with one of those cards. It does actually permit you to purchase third party gift cards, except at Needs Convenience, Thrifty Foods in BC, or stores in Quebec.

Corporate Gift Cards (Cards) have no value until activated. Cards are valid at participating stores in Canada. Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor), to buy third-party gift cards in any Needs locations, stores in Quebec or Thrifty Foods stores in British Columbia or as prohibited by law.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
If your reserve has the 90k bonus and buddy pass, you do not have the 10x groceries/eats offer. This was the previous offer where you got 70k sign up.. 50k for groceries/eats and 30k for $1k/month spend.

Ron.
margarita girl and HerpaYvr like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 2, 2021 at 11:26 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Actually, the small print says you cannot buy a corporate (another sobeys/lawtons/safeway/ect gift card) with one of those cards. It does actually permit you to purchase third party gift cards, except at Needs Convenience, Thrifty Foods in BC, or stores in Quebec.

Corporate Gift Cards (Cards) have no value until activated. Cards are valid at participating stores in Canada. Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor), to buy third-party gift cards in any Needs locations, stores in Quebec or Thrifty Foods stores in British Columbia or as prohibited by law.

If your reserve has the 90k bonus and buddy pass, you do not have the 10x groceries/eats offer. This was the previous offer where you got 70k sign up.. 50k for groceries/eats and 30k for $1k/month spend.

Ron.
Yes, I signed up only last week with the 90K bonus & Buddy pass offer ....... Going shopping at Sobey's today for the AC Gift cards Thank you
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Can we buy flight passes with GC? I'm getting set to buy one for $5k so would be a nice little bit of saving to do it that way
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by 5Miles
Can we buy flight passes with GC? I'm getting set to buy one for $5k so would be a nice little bit of saving to do it that way
Unfortunately no.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Unfortunately no.
Ok, thanks for letting me know painintheuk
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5Miles
Another snag is these gift cards are limited to $500 each and since AC restricts us to 2 payment methods, you wouldnt be able to use more than 1 gift card anyhow. I think the ones you buy direct from AC can be any denomination.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:17 pm

Another snag is these gift cards are limited to $500 each and since AC restricts us to 2 payment methods, you wouldnt be able to use more than 1 gift card anyhow. I think the ones you buy direct from AC can be any denomination.
You can pay with 2 gift cards or 1 gift card and a credit card. If your flight is less than $1k, you'll be able to pay entirely with 2 gift cards.

I did notice something when I was poking around on the AC gift card site.. there's an option to reload a gift card.. not sure how that works, or if it will let you put extra funds on an existing card.. might be useful..
https://aircanada.buyatab.com/custom...ccessible=null

Ron.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can pay with 2 gift cards or 1 gift card and a credit card. If your flight is less than $1k, you'll be able to pay entirely with 2 gift cards.

I did notice something when I was poking around on the AC gift card site.. there's an option to reload a gift card.. not sure how that works, or if it will let you put extra funds on an existing card.. might be useful..
https://aircanada.buyatab.com/custom...ccessible=null

Ron.
I was replying to 5Miles wanting to buy a $5000 flight pass which is why I said he couldn’t have used more than 1 gift card even if you could use them on flight passes.

Thanks for the tip on potentially adding more funds to gift cards. I’ll look into that!

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 3, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.