Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
As mentioned above, T&C doesn't seem to indicate whether 2 one ways qualified. Neither does it indicate that the booked flight had to be revenue or award.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Neither does it indicate that the booked flight had to be revenue or award.
Yes it does. Reward tickets don't accrue points, and the T&C clearly state the ticket must be eligible to do so.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes it does. Reward tickets don't accrue points, and the T&C clearly state the ticket must be eligible to do so.
I looked at the promo site and FAQ, all it stated was to book a flight:
https://canada.statusmatch.com/
https://canada.statusmatch.com/faq/

Where does it clearly state it?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

That's the FAQ, not the T&C, which I already quoted and linked to upthread.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

https://www.statusmatch.com/terms/?campaign=AC

The status match upgrade is valid until 31 December 2021. Approved status matched members may benefit from an extension of their status until 31 December 2022 by completing the following, an approved status matched member must book and fly a round trip flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge® or under the Air Canada Express® banner that would be eligible to accrue Aeroplan points in accordance with applicable Aeroplan terms and conditions before midnight Pacific Time of 15th January 2022.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's the FAQ, not the T&C, which I already quoted and linked to upthread.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Got it. Thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:59 pm

I just hope I am not disqualified for taking a return flight within Canada as opposed to a transborder. I was approved but how do they know what country I reside in?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I was approved but how do they know what country I reside in?
The address in your Aeroplan profile. The same way they determine if you get a 50% reduction on SQD requirements.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Any word on whether the status match provides e-upgrades?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
More info : my account went from the status tracker to conditionally approved(after receiving the approved email initially) to now showing as "fully approved". I got an email saying I got approved, but it's the exact same one as yesterday. Says 5 biz days for account to change.

I believe after receiving the approval from Statusmatch.com that Aeroplan/AC is potentially checking the address, checking flight history or doing some extra step of verifications behind the scenes here before fully approving. This took about 24 hours from conditional -> fully.

Account hasn't updated yet.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Any word on whether the status match provides e-upgrades?
If you get status, you get status.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you get status, you get status.
So no ability to select from bundles, is that correct?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
So no ability to select from bundles, is that correct?
That is, in fact, the opposite of what he said.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:46 pm

Some airlines and FTers treat status and select benefits that might accompany having that status to be separate items. For example, at AA and UA, one can get top-tier status through special renewal or status promotions, but without receiving the upgrade certs that are provided to members at that level. So, at those two carriers, getting status can mean just having status but not getting everything that might come with that status. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I did it and got 75K for myself and 50K for my wife based on AA EXP and PPRO, but I'm not sure what the point is other than *A lounge access... I tried to figure out this "eUpgrade" thing but it looks like a complicated multi-chart endeavor with no indication whether the status match comes with any upgrades (are these like stickers on AA? they seem way more complicated than stickers on AA).

Is there any dumbed-down version of how upgrades work? I looked at the 874-post thread in this forum but the wiki just has the multi-color five-page chart.
Best use case for you would probably to book a Lat Y Aeroplan ticket and instant upgrade if there is R space on EF. Since you would be an infrequent flier.
platbrownguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.