Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:17 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by psiachp
How do other carriers like UA keep non US folks engaged by allowing partner earning to count? I never understood why AC maintains this 014 requirement yet took away the 50 percent reduction of SQD. Maybe they think there's enough people in non-big-cities-that-dont-have-direct-flights to lure?
Originally Posted by psiachp
Agree, I'm just not sure then what the value proposition is for customers (if AC can't make it work on their end). It must be they think there's enough folks in second-and-lower size US cities that think connecting in YYZ/YUL is the same as connecting at eg DTW/ATL/CLT/PHL to go abroad? I've just witnessed far too many tragic misconnects w AC's abysmal one-time rating and pity anyone trying to use AC for important moments abroad w a connection from the US.
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Delta allows you to fly entirely on Sky team partner airlines and doesn't require an SQD equivalent (MQD) for non-US residents. Outside of 4 UA flights, you could fly entirely on AC and credit almost all fare classes to United and get PQP and attendant status. AA is its own league, allowing for you to get status through almost anything, including hotel stays and online shopping.

AC, rather, is unique in enforcing an SQD requirement for non-Canadian residents when they don't allow SQD crediting of any Star Alliance partner flights. Since this was a promotion only available to US based frequent flyers (and, speaking from experience, having a flight from Cairo land 5 hours delayed and the last flight to DFW from YUL had already left for the day, necessitating an overnight), the 014/ SQD requirement, limits the utility of the promotion and hampers AC's ability to keep US based FFs engaged.
Look, Americans griping about having to spend money with AC to earn AC status... Oh my God, it's October 2021 all over again!

Americans, I'm not going to regurgitate all of the other stuff I've put great effort in to writing elsewhere, so here are a few points with links to more detailed posts:
  • AC actually has a pretty competitive offering on many 6th freedom routes to/from the US (even sometimes for people in NYC!)
  • Airlines are focused on profits, not market share - this isn't 2005 anymore, and if you're not profitable, they don't mind if you take your business elsewhere
  • The US is way bigger than Canada, and many Canadians have close enough ties they might readily be able to manufacture apparent US residence, meaning AC is potentially far more exposed to non-residents than the US carriers are
  • AC isn't "unique"; every FFP is unique in its requirements. Your perspective is coloured by the US3 having incredibly generous requirements for non-residents. Did you know, for instance, that Avianca requires you to earn 80% of status requirements on their own metal? Or were you aware of the fact that AC grants you *G status at only 50K status miles, while LH requires 100K? (Ibid)
  • AC has had seven years of the xQD waiver (albeit two severely impacted by COVID) to decide this change was needed (Ibid)

Can one of you disgruntled Americans please come up with an argument that doesn't boil down to "AC must have no idea what they're doing because they're going to lose my business"?
pilot007, m.y, canadiancow and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:41 am

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the chase aeroplan credit card, with the upgrade offer, it essentially drops the SQD requirement for US resident to 9000, which is actually 1000 lower than the previous 10k requirement with the 50% waiver.
As a canadian resident I just envy that.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AP Altitude E75K
Originally Posted by JacFlyer
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the chase aeroplan credit card, with the upgrade offer, it essentially drops the SQD requirement for US resident to 9000, which is actually 1000 lower than the previous 10k requirement with the 50% waiver.
I am aware of the Chase status upgrade offer — after spending 50K USD in a calendar year. Is this a different program?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ruven
I am aware of the Chase status upgrade offer — after spending 50K USD in a calendar year. Is this a different program?
This thread is about a US-targeted status match that AC ran last year. It has been brought up recently because some people are complaining that they haven't maintained the matched status, mainly (it seems) due to SQD requirements. @JacFlyer was simply pointing out that the SQD requirements aren't as onerous as they seem, given the Chase status upgrade feature, which itself is discussed in depth in the Chase Aeroplan cards thread.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 31, 2022 at 10:54 am Reason: Clarification
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by JacFlyer
The whole point of this offer is to incentivize American customers to step away from the US3, and it's a pretty perfect encapsulation of what we're talking about here; the more you spend *with AC*, the more AC is willing to give you.

If you spend a little bit with AC (or its branded-CC partner), AC will give you low-tier status.

If you spend >$9,000 with AC *and* spend >$50,000 with its partner, AC will give you top-tier status.

If you get a MileagePlus credit card, and fly United, AC won't give you squat.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:11 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow didn't realize the AC status year and the calander year were one in the same. I thought I was good till at least 1/31.

Just used it to enter the Senator lounge here in GVA and the agent mentioned that I was coming in right under the wire.

Guess that's why this thread is back at the top.

It's been a good run for me. Flew tons of *A all over the world this year pretty heavily in Europe, but did some flying on Eithopian where status came in handy too.

Need to find a star gold strategy for next year even though I think I'll only have one big trip with them. I am mostly a one world flyer.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.