Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Explore
It’s now 1 am Pacific, 4 am Eastern on New Years Day. My status expiration still shows Dec 31, 2021 despite the fact I flew a YYZ-YOW-YTZ round trip! Anyone else in the same boat?
you should sign out and re-login again. Than is work for me.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew on 12/29 and 12/30 - both flights haven't posted yet. Lost AC status about an hour back, Hopefully all is sorted in next few weeks,
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tanancheng
you should sign out and re-login again. Than is work for me.
I did, and I’m now shown as a non-elite member…

The required journey, booked on the AC website as a round trip, was YYZ-YOW-YTZ same day. Those segments credited. The only thing I can think of is that the computer tallied this as a one-way.

Clearly this will require manual intervention…for those with experience, what is the best AC contact option?

Thanks….
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Was E35 ; did the match but couldn't follow through. Status today shows P25. I wonder where does P25 come from? Shouldn't it be reversed to E35... ?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Was E35 ; did the match but couldn't follow through. Status today shows P25. I wonder where does P25 come from? Shouldn't it be reversed to E35... ?
Did you sign up for the new Chase Aeroplan card? I am in the same boat: couldn’t fly by yesterday and my 75K went down to 25K for the card status perk.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 1, 2022 at 12:58 pm Reason: Fix quote
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ramcm7
Did you sign up for the new Chase Aeroplan card? I am in the same boat: couldn’t fly by yesterday and my 75K went down to 25K for the card status perk.
Nope. But i might have had 100K EDQ in 2021 - atleast that's my guess.

Whats weird is the downgrade is not to the status they had before the match. I am sure AC is gonna deal with a lot of complaints. I am not excited to call the agents as i am fairly sure they will have zero clue on what's being discussed.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I still have my 75k from this....but the benefits for the 2022 benefit year havent loaded.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
I flew my RT from DFW-YYZ and back at the end of October, both flights posted with miles, segments etc. However, it shows me as a regular Aeroplan member now. Which doesn't make any sense to me given that I met the requirements (it was quite the expensive ticket actually).
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by grabamile
I flew my RT from DFW-YYZ and back at the end of October, both flights posted with miles, segments etc. However, it shows me as a regular Aeroplan member now. Which doesn't make any sense to me given that I met the requirements (it was quite the expensive ticket actually).
Air Canada is when you buy more earlier the ticket will be more cheap
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Who here thinks that Air Canada bungled this whole thing and is going to alienate US flyers rather than getting them to switch from US airlines to AC?

When I booked my first AC ticket in years (after being a long time SuperElite) I had a very frustrating experience where R space showed, but it took the agents almost TWO HOURS to clear my eUpgrade. I thought "never again".

THEN - I had to cancel that flight and rebooked another trip YYC-YVR-SAN which was AMAZING. I couldn't believe they had hot meals on such short flights (especially YYC-YVR); and the on board product was excellent. very impressed with 737-Max and how modern and fresh everything looked; and great service.

So I chalked up the R class kerfuffle to a "one-off" and booked two more international (not cross-border) tickets with AC in paid J for later this year.

Now, I need to fly back to YYC next week (personal, so economy with e-upgrades) and I temporarily lost my E*75 status; and I'm annoyed once again. Admittedly I waited until 12/29 to fly; but StatusMatch warned that you would lose your status on 1/1 if you didn't fly before that date.

Delta already updated my Diamond Medallion status to 2/2024 as of yesterday, and they had stated that statuses would update on January 2, with the rollover. Who knows how long AC will take, but judging from this thread it could be a few months.

I feel communication could be a lot better; and this is going to turn off a lot of cross-border flyers, including myself. Such a shame based on the onboard experience, and the generous promo
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Who here thinks that Air Canada bungled this whole thing and is going to alienate US flyers rather than getting them to switch from US airlines to AC?
With the rampant fraud in this program (people using fake US airline status, Canadian residents, or both), it's unclear to me how many legitimate US frequent flyers participated in this promo and could potentially be alienated.

When I booked my first AC ticket in years (after being a long time SuperElite) I had a very frustrating experience where R space showed, but it took the agents almost TWO HOURS to clear my eUpgrade. I thought "never again".
A bunch of us have had this problem lately (see the eUpgrade thread). Yes, it's incredibly frustrating.

I'm annoyed once again. Admittedly I waited until 12/29 to fly; but StatusMatch warned that you would lose your status on 1/1 if you didn't fly before that date.

Delta already updated my Diamond Medallion status to 2/2024 as of yesterday, and they had stated that statuses would update on January 2, with the rollover. Who knows how long AC will take, but judging from this thread it could be a few months.

I feel communication could be a lot better; and this is going to turn off a lot of cross-border flyers, including myself. Such a shame based on the onboard experience, and the generous promo
Welcome back to AC

Every time AC launches a promo, it's clear that they don't have people who think through the T&C and how these promos will work in the real world. So yeah, they could have communicated more clearly that if you flew very late in the year, your flights might not post by January 1, and you might lose your status even though you flew before December 31 (because unlike DL, where my flights usually seem to post shortly after I land, AC takes several days). But they just don't think about these things.

And the IT sucks. The website looks different than it did back when you were SE, I suspect, but it's all the same junk. So it's really not a surprise that they've completely botched the rollover and 2022 benefit rollout, because this is just how things work over there.

But I'd give kudos to AC. You may have only gotten a little taste of AC, but there's no bait and switch here - the crappy communication, the worse IT, you have gotten a 100% authentic AC experience with this promo!
margarita girl and cfw like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
It is a new year and my status still shows as 50k in my account! Love to see it
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Flew FRA-YUL-LGA back in mid December, all flights posted fine, just checked my AC account today for first time in 2022 and I'm now a nobody, the 75k status was never extended.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Flew FRA-YUL-LGA back in mid December, all flights posted fine, just checked my AC account today for first time in 2022 and I'm now a nobody, the 75k status was never extended.
Time to complain?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I also flew my two segments in mid-December and have the same issue. Hoping the status will be extended soon without me having to reach out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.