Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:35 pm

AC agents at SEA checked us in at the gate (arrived in SEA via SW). Did not need to exit/reenter security. Gate agents checked documents (passports, vaccine cards, PCR tests) and issued boarding pass. They were there aprox. 1 hour before boarding time. Bonus: Priority Pass lounge was next to AC gates, so able to hang out there until flight.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jammin11
AC agents at SEA checked us in at the gate (arrived in SEA via SW). Did not need to exit/reenter security. Gate agents checked documents (passports, vaccine cards, PCR tests) and issued boarding pass. They were there aprox. 1 hour before boarding time.
There's no question they can do it. It's a timing issue. Check-in closes at T-60. If AC agents are at the gate at, say, T-65, @macmedic should be okay. But if they make their way over at T-55, (s)he is in a tough spot, because they'll be reliant on the goodwill of the agents to re-open the flight, which they may or may not do.
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There's no question they can do it. It's a timing issue. Check-in closes at T-60. If AC agents are at the gate at, say, T-65, @macmedic should be okay. But if they make their way over at T-55, (s)he is in a tough spot, because they'll be reliant on the goodwill of the agents to re-open the flight, which they may or may not do.
And given the size of the aircraft, I would never depend on them being there before T-60.

After T-55, your seats may be given away to standby pax (revenue or otherwise), which means even if they're willing to reopen the flight, they'd have to take someone else's seat away, which is a much harder sell when it's your fault it was given away.

With Clear and PreCheck, I don't even think this is worth a discussion. Go to the check-in counter. Be safe.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Are folks' eUpgrades being issued with an expiration date of Jan 15th, or Dec 31st? If it was Dec 31st, did they get extended due to the recent announcement?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Thank you for the replies. The interesting part is it let me do online check in for my return trip from YVR-SEA and when I tried once again to check in for the first leg SEA-YVR it went through. I am checked in and it is saying to pick up my BP at the gate. Once again thanks for the help!
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Not OP, but thought your message was useful. To confirm, you're saying if one is attempting a same day turnaround, make sure you can enter Canada (e.g. forms, tests, and the usual IDs) because to an airline/airport employee, a same day turnaround "in transit" isn't a thing? That said, for YYZ (and maybe YUL and YVR), you won't even go through inbound CA-immigration so it might not matter?

Out of curiosity, is that a legal threshold, or just how airlines define connections/layovers? E.g. >4 hours becomes a stopover, and therefore not cabotage?

Are the eUp credits from the matches now expiring Jan 15 (like they are for non-match AC elites) or are they still pegged to the year-end? (If anyone knows?)
Cabbotage isn't set by time alone.. However it can factor in.. Airlines are very careful because generally cabbotage isn't very well defined.. Its a you know it when you see it type thing. Most airlines require at least 24 hours between flights to prevent any concern of appearing to be cabbotage.

Frequently comes up for flights between US mainland and American overseas territories.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 26, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:08 am

Just booked a round trip from ORD to YYZ via Expedia. Looks like the segments were booked as two one-ways instead of a round-trip. Has anyone had their status extended with two-one ways to and from the same location?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
Make sure whichever fare class you purchased via Expedia qualifies to earn Aeroplan points. If not, the flights do not qualify for the match promo - which is a bigger concern than the two way matter.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Burgertime
Make sure whichever fare class you purchased via Expedia qualifies to earn Aeroplan points. If not, the flights do not qualify for the match promo - which is a bigger concern than the two way matter.
Are there fares that don't? Or are you referring to basic fares, which from a quick glance, don't earn SQM? (I freaked out for a bit before checking, but my YYC<->YVR ticket shows Standard, which apparently won't earn much, but should count even if it gets me "the call" afterwards).
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:47 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
No need to panic. But when buying tickets outside of the AC website better to ensure they were not bulk or discount fares. See AP terms and condition below:
  • Certain airline tickets are not eligible for earning points credits. These include, but not limited to the following;
    • Refunded, void, or unused tickets, including unused non-refundable tickets
    • Reward travel tickets or free promotional tickets
    • Travel agency/ industry reduced rate tickets
    • Tour conductors, companion tickets, Infant tickets (under age two)
    • Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage or special baggage such as musical instruments or to provide extra space for the primary passenger.
    • Single entity charter flights, unless otherwise specified.
    • Tickets issued at fares with rules that exclude the earning of points credit
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:12 am

After the return flight is completed when will status update for 2022? Will that be January 01st? I am assuming at that time you will choose your benefits.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 25, 2021 at 6:38 am Reason: Off topic
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bravada04
After the return flight is completed when will status update for 2022? Will that be January 01st? I am assuming at that time you will choose your benefits.
I am wondering the same.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bravada04
You can choose benefits right away (for 2021 benefits). I selected free WiFi and eupgrade credits.

I am curious when the card in app updates. It shows through Dec 31 2021. However I was credited with eupgrade credits today that expire 2023. Thus confused.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Are there fares that don't? Or are you referring to basic fares, which from a quick glance, don't earn SQM? (I freaked out for a bit before checking, but my YYC<->YVR ticket shows Standard, which apparently won't earn much, but should count even if it gets me "the call" afterwards).
I thought you just have to fly 2 one way or 1 round trip on AC irrespective of the fare. Basic fare still earns 25% aeroplan points. So basic fare should still count or am I mistaken?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
AC has won my trust back with this promo and I’ve been flying them so much more. I’ll try to hit SE next year by switching all intl to AC. I hope to god that asia reopens. Best legacy carrier in North America by far. AA got rid of my PHX-YYC this month so its Alaska domestic and rest AC for me. Thanks AC. Don’t need to commit $37k to AA to hit exp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.