Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Hide Wikipost
Old May 27, 22, 7:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 24, 21, 11:08 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
This is how every promo works with AC. They don't confirm you're registered, don't give you any way to track your progress, and don't tell you you've earned anything under the promo. At some point, you just randomly get points in your account, new status, whatever.
When they matched me to Altitude 50K (I was Premier 1K back then), it took them 3 months to respond, and they took this time off of the qualification/validity period, in true Air Canada fashion. So at least statusmatch.com has some semblance of customer service.
Old Oct 24, 21, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
It was clearly written this will not be provided.
Where was this? I couldn't find it in their FAQs or the terms for the match.
Old Oct 27, 21, 2:20 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I got a call from AC today. They let me know that my status will be extended with the completed round trip but they also called to verify some of my details on the match --- including USA residency verification and even some work info. Well done AC... I hope you go after and catch all the scammers and fraudsters. Everyone single one. A welcome call, and glad to know I'm safe.
Old Oct 27, 21, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I got a call from AC today. They let me know that my status will be extended with the completed round trip but they also called to verify some of my details on the match --- including USA residency verification. Well done AC... I hope you go after and catch all the scammers and fraudsters. Everyone single one. A welcome call, and glad to know I'm safe.
Says the guy with YYC as the first location in his profile
bostonbali, lsquare, SKYEG and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 21, 2:24 pm

Skyeg - Sounds fair to me--some due diligence should be standard practice.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 27, 21, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Says the guy with YYC as the first location in his profile
I've been SKYEG and haven't lived in YEG for 6 years... lol. I'm in YYC now so that's my first location. of course.

I knew I was in the gray area having returned to Canada this year.. and glad AC decided to step up and check.

They were completely satisfied with my circumstances. Not my fault that being in Canada is safer and makes more sense to ride out covid while the office was closed. It was suggested by work that I go back, get vaccinated and work from YYC. I'm back in Scottsdale on American Thanksgiving already. Having L-1 visa and a US condo in my name was key.

P.S. Documents will be requested and verified

Seriously bummed out that I won't be able to fly AC much next year, as they blow away any USA legacy right now.

More data point : I'm wondering I was called because my R/T was domestic and not transboarder(I did a quick one just to requal before heading back to USA tomorrow). They mentioned my R/T in Canada that made me qualify, so I'm curious if this triggers a flag.

Now logging into the app, I got a notification that says I qualified for 75K status.

My FT friend who lives in Scottsdale did not get the call yet and he flew transboarder even before my flights. He's a retired snowbird and also in a bit of a grey area like me, so I'm not sure how AC is going to handle all this. Regardless, I'm glad they are doing something.
hoipolloi likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 27, 21 at 4:19 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 27, 21, 4:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by travel44ever View Post
Has anyone received physical bag tags yet?
It was clearly written this will not be provided
Originally Posted by travel44ever View Post
Where was this? I couldn't find it in their FAQs or the terms for the match.

Received my physical 35K card and 2 bag tags today in the mail.
Old Oct 27, 21, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by DreamHigh View Post
Received my physical 35K card and 2 bag tags today in the mail.
quoted from the status match faq.

You will not receive a physical card, but a digital card is available in the Air Canada app, and your welcome email will contain instructions for how to select and use your Elite benefits. Your day-of-travel Elite benefits are all available by simply showing your boarding pass.
Old Oct 28, 21, 7:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
quoted from the status match faq.

You will not receive a physical card, but a digital card is available in the Air Canada app, and your welcome email will contain instructions for how to select and use your Elite benefits. Your day-of-travel Elite benefits are all available by simply showing your boarding pass.
yes, its shown on the website, but I have received them yesterday. Have not completed the 2 flights needed yet.
Old Oct 28, 21, 7:35 am

Would two segments on a one-way qualify

Anyone know if two segments on a one-way with a layover would qualify? Would Aeroplan usually post points for such an itinerary all at once or segment by segment?
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:03 am

Also lol, to all the people that are messaging me trying to get more info who are clearly scammers you will figure it out when they call you. Not giving any more info. what's wrong with you
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:44 am

I've been SKYEG and haven't lived in YEG for 6 years... lol. I'm in YYC now so that's my first location. of course.

I knew I was in the gray area having returned to Canada this year.. and glad AC decided to step up and check.

They were completely satisfied with my circumstances. Not my fault that being in Canada is safer and makes more sense to ride out covid while the office was closed. It was suggested by work that I go back, get vaccinated and work from YYC. I'm back in Scottsdale on American Thanksgiving already. Having L-1 visa and a US condo in my name was key.

P.S. Documents will be requested and verified

Seriously bummed out that I won't be able to fly AC much next year, as they blow away any USA legacy right now.

More data point : I'm wondering I was called because my R/T was domestic and not transboarder(I did a quick one just to requal before heading back to USA tomorrow). They mentioned my R/T in Canada that made me qualify, so I'm curious if this triggers a flag.

Now logging into the app, I got a notification that says I qualified for 75K status.

My FT friend who lives in Scottsdale did not get the call yet and he flew transboarder even before my flights. He's a retired snowbird and also in a bit of a grey area like me, so I'm not sure how AC is going to handle all this. Regardless, I'm glad they are doing something.
I live in USA but am doing a same-day domestic mileage run as my one round trip while I am up in Canada for Thanksgiving. Well see if I get a call.
Old Oct 28, 21, 5:33 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Definitely worth the time to do this. The *A G lounges at LAX and SIN were very nice. Looking forward to the extension.
lsquare and Visconti like this.
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K • LH Sen • WY Gold • AZ P • Bvy Plat • HH Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld View Post
As mentioned above, T&C doesn't seem to indicate whether 2 one ways qualified. Neither does it indicate that the booked flight had to be revenue or award.
I spoke to an Aeroplan agent and she confirms that:
- Flights must originate in the US (although someone suggests otherwise)
- No award bookings
- Round-trip bookings, two one-ways won't work...
- No bag tags will be delivered (but I just got mine along with the card...)
Old Oct 28, 21, 10:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Jason77W View Post
I spoke to an Aeroplan agent
Welcome to FT

Aeroplan agents should generally not be considered a reliable source for something like this. The people who man the call centre get little to no information on this kind of stuff.

she confirms that:
- Flights must originate in the US (although someone suggests otherwise)
Unlikely, given what was posted upthread by @SKYEG.

- Round-trip bookings, two one-ways won't work...
Explicitly contradicted by StatusMatch, as detailed in the wiki.
SKYEG, rill2503456 and Jason77W like this.

Search this Thread