Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Walgreens NAAT test is such great info, didn't know about it. Do you need to have USA drivers license/be American for it? I'll give them a call tomorrow.

update, called : you can use CDN drivers. yay! Quick questionnaire and ID flash/drive thru.
margarita girl and lsquare like this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 6, 2021 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
For detailed information regarding Canada's pre-arrival COVID testing policy, where to get tests in the US, etc, please see this thread in the Canada forum:​​​​​

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
For the status match, does anyone know if you can book a RT before you actually get status matched to qualify? I read the FAQ but I don't see anything on it. I'd like to take advantage of prices now and status match later if available since I will reach a higher status on AS but I'm not sure if that would qualify
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by CathayMVP
For the status match, does anyone know if you can book a RT before you actually get status matched to qualify? I read the FAQ but I don't see anything on it. I'd like to take advantage of prices now and status match later if available since I will reach a higher status on AS but I'm not sure if that would qualify
How long will it take you to get the higher status? Getting approved was very fast and I believe it’s automatic for those who qualify so I would book the trip ASAP to get the cheapest price. I don’t think the booking date is relevant, just the actual flight dates. I doubt they would do anything retroactively so you’ll need to qualify for the higher status by the date of the outbound flight.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
A friendly moderator note:

Let's please try to keep this thread to the topic of the status match program itself.

For those looking for a general discussion of their new AC status privileges and which benefits to select, there is an annual thread: 2021 AC Status Privileges (@safari ari, I think that answers your question)

For information or questions on different components of the Aeroplan program, there are generally specific threads for each benefit; eUpgrades, for example, are discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...0-onwards.html There are also threads on priority rewards, status passes, etc...

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Where is the appropriate place to complain about the effects of this program on those of us who earn these privileges organically? This program really annoys me.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
There is only limited 20000 matches, I'd match now before it's too late...
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
Same here and i've tried Friday through this past Sunday with different agents to remove and re-add the FFN.
Worked today, agent removed and added again and I saw the 2nd bag is now free in my reservation. So it took about 5 days to reflect on UA after status was given
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Acid
Worked today, agent removed and added again and I saw the 2nd bag is now free in my reservation. So it took about 5 days to reflect on UA after status was given
Did similar today, got UA to Unapply and reapply the FFN and it finally showed on my baggage information.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
<moderator notes>

Please keep in mind this is the AC forum. For further discussion of re-adding FFP numbers on UA or taking advantage of *G benefits on UA, please see the United forum.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Where is the appropriate place to complain about the effects of this program on those of us who earn these privileges organically? This program really annoys me.
If your complaints are related to this status match program in particular, this thread would be an appropriate venue.

Although you might want to think about the impact of this program in conjunction with the numerous other promos AC has run over the past couple of years that have created or uptiered status - giving 25K to everyone who had Aeroplan Diamond status, Travel@Home, status extensions and gifting, etc - and consider whether the thing that's really bothering you is this specific program or the general explosion in the number of people with elite status, in which case that would be for a different thread.

</moderator notes>
onetouchpass likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
<moderator notes>

If your complaints are related to this status match program in particular, this thread would be an appropriate venue.

Although you might want to think about the impact of this program in conjunction with the numerous other promos AC has run over the past couple of years that have created or uptiered status - giving 25K to everyone who had Aeroplan Diamond status, Travel@Home, status extensions and gifting, etc - and consider whether the thing that's really bothering you is this specific program or the general explosion in the number of people with elite status, in which case that would be for a different thread.

</moderator notes>
The difference in those promos is that:
1. They said they would give 25K to people who had Diamond, and they did.
2. They said they'd bump you up with TAH if you met certain terms, and they did.
3. They said they'd extend status, and they did.
4. They said they'd let you gift status, and they did.

In this case, they said you had to be a US resident. And you don't even have to look outside this thread to find a ton of examples where Canadian residents were given complimentary high-level status, against the terms of the match.

Do I like that CC spend is going to turn a bunch of 75Ks into SEs? Not really. But AC sets the terms. Like they did here. But they haven't actually adhered to those terms.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In this case, they said you had to be a US resident. And you don't even have to look outside this thread to find a ton of examples where Canadian residents were given complimentary high-level status, against the terms of the match.

Do I like that CC spend is going to turn a bunch of 75Ks into SEs? Not really. But AC sets the terms. Like they did here. But they haven't actually adhered to those terms.
Fair enough. And as a taxpayer, I can't say I'm happy that a government entity is paying for Canadian residents to get AC status out of what should, in theory, be money used to attract foreign visitors to the country.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Fair enough. And as a taxpayer, I can't say I'm happy that a government entity is paying for Canadian residents to get AC status out of what should, in theory, be money used to attract foreign visitors to the country.
WaytoomuchEurope, officially complain here 💡

1️, Destination Canada
https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/offices-contacts

2, The Hon. Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion, and International Trade
https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/mary-ng(96352)

3, The Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister
https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en...-trudeau(58733)

Adam, if the government wanted to keep spending local or generate foreign visitors to come.

They should've
A) Offer AC status holder to do status challenges on WS and vice versa on domestic flight; local spending
or
B) Offer mileage promos for hotels/car rentals outside province of residence, exterior spending
or
C) Offer the following matching program to Europeans instead of Americans, chances are those guys will come for more than 2 hours.
And would have a hotel night and a meal at the very least 🙄
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 8, 2021 at 6:27 am Reason: Off topic political
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:01 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
C) Offer the following matching program to Europeans instead of Americans, chances are those guys will come for more than 2 hours.
And would have a hotel night and a meal at the very least 🙄
2 hours? I’m not even staying for lunch. I’ll see if I can grab a bag of M&Ms and a bottle of water.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Wait until you see how easily people fabricated status to get matched. I know of multiple people who matched high level status successfully, one of whom had no status with any airline at all (until after this promo)...

I'm thinking about whether it's a good idea to write a blog post on how it's done, so this company that advertises to airlines with a "100%" "no fraud" service can pull their act together before this spreads more. On the other hand if they don't bother to change anything then it could just make things worse for next time.
If I do, I definitely would want to wait until this match offer is finished.
canadiancow, kenlor and asovse1 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Quail
Wait until you see how easily people fabricated status to get matched. I know of multiple people who matched high level status successfully, one of whom had no status with any airline at all (until after this promo)...

I'm thinking about whether it's a good idea to write a blog post on how it's done, so this company that advertises to airlines with a "100%" "no fraud" service can pull their act together before this spreads more. On the other hand if they don't bother to change anything then it could just make things worse for next time.
If I do, I definitely would want to wait until this match offer is finished.
I only blog when AC pisses me off, so maybe I'll do it now without waiting.
lsquare, YOWgary, YYC3722 and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.