Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nexus/FastTrack security line. No more access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Just at YVR flying domestically. I have Elite status. I notice we can no longer use the Nexus line to bypass the long security line. I guess Covid related? Anyone else at any other Canadian airports see the same thing?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That would actually be nice. Nexus lines can get too long with non-Nexus passengers.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
I am actually noticing that the NEXUS line is closed at the moment when I fly out of YYZ. I can still use Priority Security with my Elite status, but there is not currently a "NEXUS" line
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TOR27
I am actually noticing that the NEXUS line is closed at the moment when I fly out of YYZ. I can still use Priority Security with my Elite status, but there is not currently a "NEXUS" line
So you guys have a Priority security line. Nice. Vancouver is messed up.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 8, 2021 at 4:59 pm Reason: Profanity
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Flew YYZ-IAD yesterday morning and was surprised to find there is currently no Priority Security queue. I do not have Nexus, but in the past 50k status allowed one into the Nexus/Priority line for security only (then back into the normal line for Customs). I showed up 2 hours before my flight assuming that would be plenty of time, and ended up having to jump the queue at Customs (with permission of course) just to make my boarding deadline. They seemed to be allowing J and SE customers in the Nexus line. There was also no priority security open whatsoever last week flying from YYZ domestic very early in the morning. Seemed to be no provision even for J/SE at that time, although I'm sure that's not the case consistently?!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There is a thread over in the Canada forum on this. My interpretation of what is there is that there is the separate Nexus line for the entry to security is gone, and everyone goes through the normal entrance to hand in their health form. I'm confused about priority security - some seem to have said that the priority/Amex security line exists, others seem to either not know its there or say it isn't there, and someone said Nexus will allow you to the front of security, with no separate process like pre-pandemic. Once through security, GE kiosks are there to use for GE/Nexus members.

Originally Posted by mmike_319
Flew YYZ-IAD yesterday morning and was surprised to find there is currently no Priority Security queue. I do not have Nexus, but in the past 50k status allowed one into the Nexus/Priority line for security only (then back into the normal line for Customs). I showed up 2 hours before my flight assuming that would be plenty of time, and ended up having to jump the queue at Customs (with permission of course) just to make my boarding deadline. They seemed to be allowing J and SE customers in the Nexus line. There was also no priority security open whatsoever last week flying from YYZ domestic very early in the morning. Seemed to be no provision even for J/SE at that time, although I'm sure that's not the case consistently?!
Pre-pandemic, IME, priority and Nexus lines were separate. Nexus was not the same as Pre line in the US, but did allow you to leave laptops in a sleeve (IIRC), but still, everything had to be out of pockets. Of course, its been so long, who can remember for sure? What I do recall is that despite the shorter lines, seemingly every time I was through, they seemed to take much longer to screen Nexus carry ons than regular, so the line moves slower. Who would've thought?

I do know YYZ was always a bit tricky for us in the last few years...when traveling with kids (who have Nexus) at the infant/toddler stage, they seemed to always force us to use the family security line, which is the slowest of them all. Don't even want to go into the number of times I got SSSS'd at YYZ (as a Trusted Traveler, no less) - and I don't think I've ever had that happen in the US in like, 10 years or so. Even so, process at YYZ for this was so much worse....
Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

YVR only has one separate line for Nexus/Priority/FastTrack/Global Entry etc etc but they only seem to be letting in Nexus. At first I though this is just Covid related, and they don’t have enough security lines (scanners) open in the hall, but low and behold, all lines were open (rare for YVR). So don’t know ... is happening at least in Vancouver, but Air Canada has lost its pull with the airport authority here, or just don’t care anymore.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Since this thread isn't really related to AC and is degenerating in to personal attacks (which have been cleaned up), I'm going to close it.

I will note that the moderators are currently discussing where is the best home for comments/questions on operations at Canadian airports that are not AC-specific, which will likely be a thread or several threads in the Canada forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
TOR27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.