Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Schedule Updates - frequency changes, resume/suspend routes, etc (Aug 2021 onwards)

Schedule Updates - frequency changes, resume/suspend routes, etc (Aug 2021 onwards)

Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rseanj
Does anyone have any insight or experience on whether AC has been sticking to their start dates for routes given the current climate?
For general insight on AC's scheduling habits these days, see this post.

Re PTP in particular, yeah, that looks tough. Research your travel insurance, if you have any, and consult the thread on what you can do if AC does change your flight: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...q2-2021-a.html

Originally Posted by bcard519
So if the "banking time" change to a different time, closer to departure.... Would this be a good indication the the flight should go ahead?
Not necessarily. It may mean they've run another round of schedule changes and your flight hasn't been cancelled during those adjustments, but that doesn't mean it won't be at some point after that.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:37 pm

Anyone know if the March 2022 domestic schedule currently published is reflective of reality? I know changes are inevitable but trying to get a sense if things are firming up now or are they still basically going month to month (or two months).
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm not convinced December is reflective of reality.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:57 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jashah
Anyone know if the March 2022 domestic schedule currently published is reflective of reality? I know changes are inevitable but trying to get a sense if things are firming up now or are they still basically going month to month (or two months).
That's basically the same question that was asked upthread but with dates that are further out.

The truth is that no one really knows for sure, not even AC. Schedule changes are happening frequently. If you are looking at a major route, then your odds are better that this route will still have service, just maybe not with the schedule and equipment you see now.

If you are not risk tolerant, book something refundable. Otherwise be prepared to keep on eye on your booking and don't be too surprised if it changes. A lot.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:09 pm

If it's going to change a lot, there's no point making it refundable
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jashah
As I said to the last person to ask about "reality":

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
"Reality" is an ever-shifting concept in these times of COVID.
And I would suggest reading the rest of that post as well.

But almost 6 months out? Who the heck knows.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
A significant change in a flight might generate the ability to get a refund for that flight, but not for hotels, car rentals, etc...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:43 pm

As I said to the last person to ask about "reality":

And I would suggest reading the rest of that post as well.

But almost 6 months out? Who the heck knows.

A significant change in a flight might generate the ability to get a refund for that flight, but not for hotels, car rentals, etc...
Heck, I'm still assuming that my flight to the YHZ do will be cancelled, or I won't be allowed in. Re-routed to add SQM would be way better, though!

Originally Posted by @canadiancow
Fortunately Comfort fares are still refundable.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Talking All hail Cow

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not convinced December is reflective of reality.
This made me laugh. I agree.
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Not necessarily. It may mean they've run another round of schedule changes and your flight hasn't been cancelled during those adjustments, but that doesn't mean it won't be at some point after that.
What point does it become more reliable? 3 weeks out, 4 weeks out?

Just want to be prepared, I have tickets to a sporting event, just want to make sure I can get there.

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:47 am

I'd say within two months is probably safe. One month definitely unless something drastically changes like the government saying "no more flights from X".

But just look what they're selling.

Today, SFO-YYZ is two large narrow bodies.
Same thing in a month.
However, in two months, it's a 788, 789, and 7M8.

Is demand really going to increase that much by then? Or is December going to get another update? I think the latter.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE
Agree with the Cow, and just to add, I'd say that once they publish the updated table on their Route Updates page, there's a much better chance those flights will stick as they've taken a conscious look through the routes as opposed to just having a placeholder schedule from last year. Right now they've got December populated (just updated within the past week) with International routes. Domestic/transborder is updated for Oct/Nov, but not yet for December. I'd say once they have that route table updated, the domestic/transborder schedule will be a bit more reflective of reality. I've found anything outside of that time horizon to be a gamble, but once it's published on the route list, the odds improve a lot.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by rseanj
We have a flight on AC 948 from YUL to PTP on November 5. I think that's the first outbound flight on the route for the season. We've booked a house rental for the week and are a little worried that AC might not actually start service as planned due to Covid. Of course that would mean we lose the house rental fees if we can't get there. I don't think there are any US connections that we could use to get there - especially since we have mixed vaccinations.

Does anyone have any insight or experience on whether AC has been sticking to their start dates for routes given the current climate?

Thanks
SJ
I'd been looking at the YUL PTP/FDF route for a while now, especially because I can travel onward to CDG/ORY on the cheap to combine the sun vacation with a visit with family in Europe. But given what happened with AC's Caribbean schedule last winter (not just cancellations but constant change in days of the week), I just couldn't. I pieced together an itinerary to SXM (and Europe) but flying to EWR or Florida and then on to SXM with US based airlines who are already flying that route daily. In the end Mrs. bambino vetoed the plan, as it involved 11 flights and 6 countries other than Canada, and with covid... I guess I am lucky to have her keep me in check.

So now we are going to Cancun. For 25k miles we get mixed cabin Y from YEG to YYZ, then business from YYZ to YUL and lie-flat from YUL to CUN. The 333 on the last leg looks already half-full, based just on the occupied seats on expertflyer, and they are already flying it, so I think we are safe there.

I am a bit concerned about the flight out of Edmonton. It's a mid-afternoon daily flight that is being added as of December 1 (AC 172 at 1605). I guess I'll know more early December - we don't fly out until mid-month - but just curious, if anyone knows, what happens if 1) that flight is taken off the schedule, and 2) it starts flying but certain days get cancelled. Would our booking Business (albeit "mixed cabin" and through Aeroplan) put us in a better position than others if vying for a limited number of seats on an earlier or later YEG - YYZ flight that day?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:47 am

There is no single point where it suddenly becomes reliable. They don't freeze the schedule 3 weeks out, or 4 weeks out, or on the 15th of every month. That's just not how it works. As the cow said, a month out, your risk is probably low, but if your flight is on November 6, there's absolutely nothing stopping them from doing a big update to the November schedule on October 7 and cancelling your flight or changing the time in a big way.

Just want to be prepared, I have tickets to a sporting event, just want to make sure I can get there.
That's all well and good, but stop fixating on a single point in time where you might be safe. If you're really nervous about it, book a refundable ticket on a different carrier that also works.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:06 am

Maybe day of travel once you land at your destination? Or whenever it switches from a schedule change to an IROPS?

I've definitely seen changes to my bookings within the same week of travel, but the changes aren't as significant.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:18 pm

Any idea as to why HKG-YVR and HKG-YYZ routing through ICN now?

Have a flight booked on Oct 24 for HKG-YVR. Originally it was a direct flight , but now I see that there is a one hour stop in seoul. Same goes for any HKG-YYZ flights. Any idea why? Winter fuel stop? cargo load ?

Checked both air Canadas website and Skyscanner but saw that rev tickets were not being sold ICN-YVR nor ICN-YYZ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.