Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
What is the birthday perk thing?

Some Aeroplan members are offered a selection perks via an email on or around their birthday.

Does everyone get this offer on their birthday?

No. The offer seems to be targeted somewhat randomly. You may get it one year, but not the next. No one here understands for sure how the offer is awarded.

So, what are these perks?

The offers seem to vary, but as of the last Wiki edit, here is a summary of the ones reported:

25% OFF BASE FARES + A PREFERRED SEAT
When you book a domestic, transborder, or Caribbean flight by XXX for travel by YYY (subject to availability)

EARN 5X ON A BIRTHDAY RIDE!
Earn 5X the points on your next Uber Comfort, UberXL, Uber Premier or Uber Black ride by XXX

UP TO 10% OFF VACATION PACKAGES
When you book a vacation package with Air Canada Vacations® to select destinations by XXX for travel by YYY.
Note: As of last Wiki edit, this appears to have been replaced by the following ACV offer:

UP TO 8,000 BONUS PTS ON VACATION PACKAGES
Spend up to $999 per member for 2,000 bonus pts, spend $1,000‑$1,999 for 3,000 pts, or spend $2,000+ for 8,000 pts.

500pts
With a purchase of $50 or more via the Aeroplan eStore.

100pts
Celebrate simply! Get 100 bonus points (250 points for some) for your special day.

The following perk was reported shortly after the birthday perk was launched, but appears to be no longer offered:

500pts
When you load your linked Starbucks Rewards account with $50 or more.

Sounds great! So, do I get ALL of those perks?

No, you get your choice of one of them.

Is there a catch?

Sort of. Several of the perks come with date restrictions. The 'XXX' date referenced above is usually about 30 days after your actual birthday. The YYY date is usually about 7 months after your birthday. More or less. And the 25% off can't be used for J fares.

Print Wikipost

Aeroplan birthday perk

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kishiwada
... I didn't see it upthread, but was anyone able to apply eups to their offer? Or not, since it technically comes with a "Preferred Seat"? We're planning a short getaway YYC-YVR in June, and I have a stock of eups I can burn still.
Yes.
yyznomad and Kishiwada like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kishiwada
... I didn't see it upthread, but was anyone able to apply eups to their offer? Or not, since it technically comes with a "Preferred Seat"? We're planning a short getaway YYC-YVR in June, and I have a stock of eups I can burn still.
A discount on a fare brand that allows for eUpgrades to be applied does not negate the ability to eUpgrade.
The rules are by brand and not by what you paid for it. I think you get the gist.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
A discount on a fare brand that allows for eUpgrades to be applied does not negate the ability to eUpgrade.
The rules are by brand and not by what you paid for it. I think you get the gist.
That's usually true, but not always.

I've flown 0% earning business flexible fares.

Latitude bookings with the buddy pass do not earn anything.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Originally Posted by canadiancow

So if I am the primary passenger on a buddy pass and my wife is the "buddy", I won't earn sqm,sqd for the flight?
Old May 24, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
That's really unfortunate. Would have been a "nice to have" option of the buddy pass. .
Old May 25, 2022, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The buddy, who paid $0, earns nothing.

Heck, there are 15% (ish, I can't remember the number) employee discount codes that result in no earnings.

There are tons of ways to fly "eligible fare brands" but not actually be eligible for earnings.

I can't speak for eUpgrades, as I have no personal experience with them on any "special" bookings (my specials were always in J).

But don't just "assume" a "Flex" booking allows eUpgrades any more than you would assume it earns 100% if it includes a segment on UA.

"Promos" make things weird.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Received my, on my birthday this AM.

Same as everyone, 25%, 500points, etc.

Even though I get the preferred seat for free, the 25% off made the most sense given I'm travelling most of June

Either way, Happy Birthday to me
Captain Canuck and bid.shader like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Had confetti when logging in my account for a week before my actual birthday.
And on my actual birthday, I received an email to pick a birthday gift: 25% off base fare domestic, US, Caribbean or up to 10% off AC Vacations package or 500 points when spending $50 at the eStore or 100 points.
The 25% off will be useful.
Thank you AC/Aeroplan
Old May 31, 2022, 9:38 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I think maybe that I need to change my birthday to sometime next month and see if I get more than just confetti this time. How hard could that be?
streetcircusdan and DNAwizard like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I think maybe that I need to change my birthday to sometime next month and see if I get more than just confetti this time. How hard could that be?
It's totally random. SO is also SEMM and only received confetti 🤷‍♂️.
My parents, both FOTSG, received the total package 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AP 35K
Received the confetti and the email with my choices, ended up going for the 25%. Happy to see the code applies for two people on the same booking!
yyznomad likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I tried to use the code for a Mexico booking and it says the code is expired. Mexico is included in the Ts an Cs. Is it because one of the flights is operated by United even though the fare is sold on AC.com ?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
Discount code received - and was expired….

Received my code on May 14th (12 hours after selecting that option).
Book by June 13. Travel completed by Nov 14th.
Tried to use it today and error message that it is expired.
Spoke to concierge, she kindly contacted help desk who indicated the promo code expired May 31 not June 13.
Concierge is following up to get me a new code… hopefully soon.

My favourite part of the experience was the concierge’s shock that this could happen when she said “I am so surprised because Air Canada IT systems are always perfect”. That alone made my day.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by yeeg
So if I am the primary passenger on a buddy pass and my wife is the "buddy", I won't earn sqm,sqd for the flight?
I used a buddy pass on a friend of mine when we went to HNL in March. We book a Flex fare, I received 100% SQM, SQS & SQD and she received 0, nada, zip, nothing!

It makes sense as one person is flying for free except for the taxes paid.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
The buddy, who paid $0, earns nothing.

Heck, there are 15% (ish, I can't remember the number) employee discount codes that result in no earnings.

There are tons of ways to fly "eligible fare brands" but not actually be eligible for earnings.

I can't speak for eUpgrades, as I have no personal experience with them on any "special" bookings (my specials were always in J).

But don't just "assume" a "Flex" booking allows eUpgrades any more than you would assume it earns 100% if it includes a segment on UA.

"Promos" make things weird.

Last year the regular Go Canada employee fares were increased from 10% to 15% and I think I used perhaps six of them and all received SQM,SQS & SQD and I did upgrade on a couple of those flights. There are some employee discount codes that are generous so they give you nada.

This year the regular Go Canada employee Fares are back down to 10% and I have two now, have not used any yet due to the frequent discounts floating around from various providers.

Who doesn't like a sale, so I like buying AIr Canada on sale, lol

Last month AMEX sent out two 15% discount codes which I used on my current flights.

I like buying the AIr Canada gift cards when on sale and then using a discount code to get 20% or 25% off fares. ( yes I am cheap or financially thrifty, depending on your outlook, lol)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.