Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
MCO-YUL was 1246
YUL-YTZ was 304

on Q Flex fare (100%)
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by swgsword
MCO-YUL was 1246
YUL-YTZ was 304

on Q Flex fare (100%)
Awesome, thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@grabamile, was your DFW-YYZ trip on a fare that earned at least 100% miles? If so, what was the base mileage you were awarded?

@swgsword, same question re YUL-YTZ.

@Explore, same re YOW-YTZ.
YYZ-YOW-YTZ fare was Flex Q….250 base miles each segment.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@Acid did that EWR-YUL flight earn at least 100% miles and, if so, could you please share the base mileage?

Originally Posted by Explore
YYZ-YOW-YTZ fare was Flex Q….250 base miles each segment.
Thanks. I forgot that you didn't have to do any flights before the match kicked in, had thought you might get the real distance rather than 500-mile minimum. My mistake!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
@Acid did that EWR-YUL flight earn at least 100% miles and, if so, could you please share the base mileage?

Thanks. I forgot that you didn't have to do any flights before the match kicked in, had thought you might get the real distance rather than 500-mile minimum. My mistake!
*cough*
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
*cough*
Does 250 x 2 no longer = 500?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:40 pm

Does 250 x 2 no longer = 500?
Okay, no one has ever said "500 mile minimum" to refer to the sum of two flights before
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay, no one has ever said "500 mile minimum" to refer to the sum of two flights before
Maybe my brain was just on a higher plane in seeing the two segments, different routes, as "500-mile minimum". Or maybe I meant to say 250 but had a brain fart. We'll never know!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

(
Earned 50%. Is that an issue? It posted as follows-

165 SQM 1 SQS 50 SQD 165 EDQ

Air Canada
QK 7591, EWR NEW YORK - YUL MONTREAL, Standard, T

I'm not sure where QK came from?. It was always booked as a AC ticket - though it had 3 changes(weather/covid crew cancels and finally changed from LGA to EWR)
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Acid
I'm not sure where QK came from?. It was always booked as a AC ticket
QK is Jazz.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE (P); Marriott Plat; Accor Plat; KQ Plat
Sorry if it was flagged before, but I think there is an issue with the short distances falling under the 250 minimum. AC,YOW,YUL,B,LT returns 391 SQM, while it should be 313 SQMs (250 + 63).

Also, the calculator returns one less SQM than I was credited for my last YUL-BRU (paid in N/PL). I got 4309 SQMs (3447 base + 862 bonus), and the calculator returns 3447 + 861. It looks like that the calculator round .75 down rather than up.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
Earned 50%. Is that an issue?
Thanks! We try to only populate the calculator with the definitely correct distances, so we only use fares that earn at least 100% (something that credits 165 on a 50% fare could have a true Aeroplan distance of 330, 329, or 331).

Originally Posted by GeekyFlyer
Sorry if it was flagged before, but I think there is an issue with the short distances falling under the 250 minimum. AC,YOW,YUL,B,LT returns 391 SQM, while it should be 313 SQMs (250 + 63).

Also, the calculator returns one less SQM than I was credited for my last YUL-BRU (paid in N/PL). I got 4309 SQMs (3447 base + 862 bonus), and the calculator returns 3447 + 861. It looks like that the calculator round .75 down rather than up.
I'll look in to these.

The 391... 250 + 94 (the actual distance) * 1.5 = 391. But that may be a coincidence.

The second one, I'm not sure why it would do that, because I think it rounds up elsewhere (e.g. minimum distance routes usually show 250 + 63 bonus). AC is somewhat inconsistent in rounding (e.g. the 25% elite bonus miles on LH group airlines round down to 62 on a minimum mile route), but I thought we had the calculator working right.

Thanks for reporting the issues
GeekyFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AC SE (P); Marriott Plat; Accor Plat; KQ Plat
The second one, I'm not sure why it would do that, because I think it rounds up elsewhere (e.g. minimum distance routes usually show 250 + 63 bonus). AC is somewhat inconsistent in rounding (e.g. the 25% elite bonus miles on LH group airlines round down to 62 on a minimum mile route), but I thought we had the calculator working right.
If it can helps out figuring out where the issue is, I took the time to review my other flying activities in 2021, and I was credited 1 more SQM by AC on the following routes:
AC,YUL,BRU,E,PL
SN,BRU,CPH,B
AC,YUL,BRU,N,PL
SN,BRU,LYS,B

I have few others where I have a few more SQMs on AC than with the calculator but they were on SK and LH at 50%.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

If it can helps out figuring out where the issue is, I took the time to review my other flying activities in 2021, and I was credited 1 more SQM by AC on the following routes:
AC,YUL,BRU,E,PL
SN,BRU,CPH,B
AC,YUL,BRU,N,PL
SN,BRU,LYS,B
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I haven't yet had a chance to dig in to this. I started a new job a few weeks ago, and haven't really had the time.

You're seeing 1 too few SQM on these routes even after we added those distances to the database? For instance, we didn't have BRU-LYS before you reported it a while back. I'm just trying to figure out whether this is another rounding issue or whether some of these were just because it was using a haversine or old Aeroplan distance that we've since changed.

I have few others where I have a few more SQMs on AC than with the calculator but they were on SK and LH at 50%.
That could be rounding or it could be base distance. Could you please buy more expensive fares so that we can definitively establish the base distances?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:55 am

Okay, I fixed the first issue with https://github.com/scottkennedy/ac-aqd/pull/113

It also fixes a rounding issue, so some other issues may have been fixed too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.