Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
would you be able to add a drop down to the excel where I can select round trip.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...K_QTXsP-P0fkyg

with the 2X, 3X for miles and some times they do extra AQM could you add that feature to the excel.

I love what you have done so far. thank you for all your work.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Updated for today's announced changes to CX earning rates.

Originally Posted by LesDorgo
would you be able to add a drop down to the excel where I can select round trip.
LesDorgo, not sure what you mean.

with the 2X, 3X for miles and some times they do extra AQM could you add that feature to the excel.
AQM promos are pretty rare, and you can just use the override column. For instance, when they first introduced Comfort fares, I think there was a 100% AQM bonus, so instead of getting 115%, you would have earned 215%. It's far easier to just use the override column to use 215% instead of the calculated 115% than for me to try to update the calculator every time there's an AQM promo (or a promo ends).

As for the Aeroplan miles, I don't remember the last time they did an Aeroplan promo that was a multiplier rather than you get a certain number of bonus miles for taking certain flights (e.g. get 500 bonus miles for a YYC-YYZ round trip). I don't have an override for the Aeroplan earning rate, but unless someone can correct me here, this seems rare enough to not be worth the hassle.

I love what you have done so far. thank you for all your work.
Glad to hear it, although soon the AQM Cowculator will fully supplant the Excel sheet, I'm sure.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Updated for today's announced changes to CX earning rates.
Same: https://github.com/scottkennedy/ac-aqd/pull/1/files
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Updated for today's newly announced partnership with Azul.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Same: https://github.com/scottkennedy/ac-aqd/pull/7
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:31 pm

I reimported all airports from the spreadsheet. Some had slightly different locations, and there were a lot more.

I also reimported the distances (but haven't deployed it yet). This is more interesting.

First of all, IST seems to have been renamed to ISL, which I suspect will cause many issues for people trying to calculate distances.

There are a few others that have disappeared, and I would have originally obtained the distances from the spreadsheet, so I'm not sure what happened.

Adam Smith any ideas?

https://github.com/scottkennedy/ac-aqd/pull/14/files
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I reimported all airports from the spreadsheet. Some had slightly different locations, and there were a lot more.
If the locations were different, that's probably a change at OpenFlights, which is where that database originally came from. I don't think I would have been editing coordinates.

First of all, IST seems to have been renamed to ISL, which I suspect will cause many issues for people trying to calculate distances.
Istanbul opened a new airport last year. The old IATA code IST moved over to the new airport, and the old airport got the code ISL. Since all of our data related to flights to and from the old airport, I renamed it ISL in the spreadsheet.

Going forward, I don't know whether Aeroplan will recalculate distances based on the location of the new IST, or whether they'll just use the old numbers. My guess is they'll recalculate, rendering the old data largely useless, but I can't say for sure.

There are a few others that have disappeared, and I would have originally obtained the distances from the spreadsheet, so I'm not sure what happened.
What has disappeared? I did remove some airports from the spreadsheet of Aeroplan data as they had no mileage associated with them, after I cleaned up errors. But are there airports that disappeared from the more extensive database.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 15, 2020 at 11:26 pm Reason: Fixed formatting
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:55 pm

IST/ISL makes sense.

These were in my database, but are no longer in the spreadsheet:
AKL-ZQN

CPH-FRA
LIS-MUC

Any of the rows in red on the link in my previous post.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

These were in my database, but are no longer in the spreadsheet:
AKL-ZQN

CPH-FRA
LIS-MUC

Any of the rows in red on the link in my previous post.
Clean-up of bad data.

AKL-ZQN was based on a less-than-100% fare, so may or may not have been correct. CPH-FRA looked like someone entered the data in the wrong place (CPH-HEL is also 549). LIS-MUC was way off, probably because someone entered it from a 50% earning fare class (617 in the sheet vs gcmap says 1,235).

There was also YWG-ICN that was clearly wrong.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:02 am

Sounds good. I've deployed the update.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:39 pm

Well this is a problem.

YYZ-YYC posted as 1,919 SQM, 250 of which are Class of service bonus.

It was a Comfort fare. The only way that lines up is if YYZ-YYC is now 1669 instead of the old 1670.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:04 pm

YVR-YYZ is now 2076.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
YVR-YYZ is now 2076.
They moved YVR?

Or do we just stop counting miles on short final now?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:11 pm

This makes no sense. For redemption purposes, they use 49.19669,-123.182 for YVR and 43.67775,-79.6248 for YYZ.

Their redemption distance calculator computes 2081.
Mine (which is a pretty straight-forward haversine function: https://github.com/scottkennedy/ac-a...culator.kt#L36) computes 2079.
NOAA's calculator (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gccalc.shtml) says 2078.

So I don't understand how they're crediting 2076.

Edit: The flight status page shows 2097
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:05 pm

I just spent some time cleaning up the calculator. The "new" one is available at https://api.ft.canadiancow.com/sqd/calc. The old one at /aqd/calc.

There were some tweaks made to Basic Economy earning, but otherwise I've just stripped out a lot of references to Altitude. When we switch to dollar-based earning, I'll give it another pass to really clean up the old crap.

What should we do about the Aeroplan distances? Delete them all and start from scratch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.