Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any intra-Asia flights on AC metal that can be purchased?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Is there anything available, such as a Hong Kong - Narita, etc?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 7:30 pm

AC doesn't operate any intra-Asian routes.

CP did in the past as extension of YVR-HKG to BKK/MNL but i'm not sure if CP had the traffic rights to pick up pax @ HKG to BKK/MNL and vice versa. anybody know ?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 8:07 pm

Programs: AE
CP did have the rights to sell tkts HKG-BKK & vice versa as well as HKG-MNL & vice versa.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jakob. I bought a few one ways for MNL-HKG, HKG-BKK, BKK-HKG. That was during that One World promo of Fly 5 1W carriers and earn 100,000 FF miles. Can't recall if that was 1999 or 2000, but I also thought that was the final year that CP flew the HKG-MNL route.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Yup I did the HKG-BKK flight with CP 10 times! I wish AC would bring it back! How long is the flight 1.5 hrs. The plane sitting in HKG that long anyhow. Or it used to???
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:03 am

the AC 343 now sits in HKG overnite before coming bak to YVR the next day
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:09 am

Maybe there are issues with crew scheduling that don't allow AC to add the HKG-BKK/MNL segment. If the crew maxes out their hours on the YVR-HKG, they would have to throw an extra crew in the rotation to do the HKG-BKK-HKG, before spending another night in HKG and then returning to NA.

They may lack the crew (specifically pilots) to do this, or the costs may just not make this worthwhile. Just a guess, though...
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:59 am
Suspended

Well if the plane is just sitting in the airport it depends if AC is able to pick up passengers between HKG and BKK. I assume the reason the flight is not going is AC CANNOT take passengers from the local markets between these two cities?
Can CX take passengers between LGA and YVR?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
Well if the plane is just sitting in the airport it depends if AC is able to pick up passengers between HKG and BKK. I assume the reason the flight is not going is AC CANNOT take passengers from the local markets between these two cities?
Can CX take passengers between LGA and YVR?
</font>
1. Yes. AC took over CP's rights that permitted Fifth Freedom traffic rights between HKG and BKK. But AC would rather codeshare and divert traffic towards TG. It also raises issues with crew resting periods etc. Plus, Thailand and Canada still has many issues to negotiate. CP had the cheapest fares between HKG and BKK but yet the 747 always took off half full. The reason was that CP only negotiated then with a load factor of a DC10 aircraft it once flew with and when the 747 came round, the Thai government refused to negotiate till it had better rights to fly to Canada. TG only flew at one time between SEA and YYZ using an A310-300 aircraft parked specifically at SEA for this run in late 1980's.

2. CX flies between JFK (not LGA) and YVR and yes it has full traffic rights.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:26 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
1. Yes. AC took over CP's rights that permitted Fifth Freedom traffic rights between HKG and BKK. But AC would rather codeshare and divert traffic towards TG. It also raises issues with crew resting periods etc. Plus, Thailand and Canada still has many issues to negotiate. CP had the cheapest fares between HKG and BKK but yet the 747 always took off half full. The reason was that CP only negotiated then with a load factor of a DC10 aircraft it once flew with and when the 747 came round, the Thai government refused to negotiate till it had better rights to fly to Canada. TG only flew at one time between SEA and YYZ using an A310-300 aircraft parked specifically at SEA for this run in late 1980's.

</font>
Well now that AC uses 340 the size of the plane should make it work
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:

</font>
doesn't Ac/TG codeshare Canada-Thailand thru NRT instead of HKG ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.