Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Better Options for YYZ-BER on Points

Question: Better Options for YYZ-BER on Points

Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Better Options for YYZ-BER on Points

Hey All,

I'm traveling to BER in Business on July 29, currently routed YYZ-LIS-BER. I paid 70k points (at 50% thanks to a Priority Reward).

With the Delta variant spreading and cases rising again throughout Europe, I'm a bit worried about entry rules changing and making things entry into Portugal and Germany challenging. So I'm trying to eliminate Portugal from the itinerary and just go via FRA or MUC.

Looking on AC.com, MUC doesn't show up as an option and FRA is pricing at double the points I paid (140k).

So this isn't so much a specific question but rather a solicitation for input from others who have more experience than me with the new AP program and / or current entry requirements in Europe.

Thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Europe will either be open or not. Whether you transit through LIS will almost certainly be a moot point. At this time it matters most where you come from. The EU categorizes countries as green, yellow or red. Canada is currently green. As long as Canada's Covid trend remains good (and there is no reason to expect a massive change in 2-3 weeks) we should remain green. Portugal is probably a safer transit point than FRA right now.

I'd stick with your current booking as your biggest risk will be whether you want to travel at the end of the month.

Biggest downside is the relatively long connecting flight you'll be doing to Berlin in a narrow body J.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
Europe will either be open or not. Whether you transit through LIS will almost certainly be a moot point. At this time it matters most where you come from. The EU categorizes countries as green, yellow or red. Canada is currently green. As long as Canada's Covid trend remains good (and there is no reason to expect a massive change in 2-3 weeks) we should remain green. Portugal is probably a safer transit point than FRA right now.

I'd stick with your current booking as your biggest risk will be whether you want to travel at the end of the month.

Biggest downside is the relatively long connecting flight you'll be doing to Berlin in a narrow body J.
Thanks!

Granted that all this can change, but based on what I've seen, entry rules for Canadians are not uniform across the EU right now.:/
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hey All,

I'm traveling to BER in Business on July 29, currently routed YYZ-LIS-BER. I paid 70k points (at 50% thanks to a Priority Reward).

With the Delta variant spreading and cases rising again throughout Europe, I'm a bit worried about entry rules changing and making things entry into Portugal and Germany challenging. So I'm trying to eliminate Portugal from the itinerary and just go via FRA or MUC.

Looking on AC.com, MUC doesn't show up as an option and FRA is pricing at double the points I paid (140k).

So this isn't so much a specific question but rather a solicitation for input from others who have more experience than me with the new AP program and / or current entry requirements in Europe.

Thank you!
Canada is not a member of EU nor a Schengen country and rules can vary from a EU country to another. by flying directly to fra from canada you will decrease the risk if things change. (ex: meeting new transit requirements, etc)

you cannot control supply, but by flying to frankfurt instead you might have more choice without paying double points and from fra you can take the train to berlin
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Europe will either be open or not. Whether you transit through LIS will almost certainly be a moot point. At this time it matters most where you come from.
As an example that recently affected me, SFO-YUL-LHR-ARN is not flyable as a Canadian, but SFO-YYZ-CDG-ARN is, because Sweden is only accepting entry from Schengen countries, regardless of your true origin.

You definitely need to be careful where you transit, and that's actually a case where going through LIS would be better than trying to go straight to your destination country.
PointWeasel and SweFlyer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You definitely need to be careful where you transit, and that's actually a case where going through LIS would be better than trying to go straight to your destination country.
Oh why is that? Because Portugal has been more loose than many other European countries with their entry rules?

That's partly what's worrying me as cases seem to be rising faster there vs. Germany.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:14 pm

Oh why is that? Because Portugal has been more loose than many other European countries with their entry rules?

The answer to your question is in the part of my post you did not quote.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

There is no EU rule. Individual countries set entry requirements, so suggesting that it’s all or nothing is misleading.
Schweden likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

The answer to your question is in the part of my post you did not quote.
Ok but since Portugal and Germany are both Schengen countries, I'm not sure how transiting in LIS vs. flying directly to FRA would be advantageous? I suppose there is a scenario where Germany stops accepting travellers directly from Canada but still accepts Canada-originated travellers transiting through a Schengen country like Portugal, and Portugal continues to accept direct arrivals from Canada.

But what makes you think the probability of this scenario is greater than the joint probability of Portugal closing borders to Canada or Germany closing borders to Portugal?

Or did I misunderstand your post?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:33 pm

Ok but since Portugal and Germany are both Schengen countries, I'm not sure how transiting in LIS vs. flying directly to FRA would be advantageous? I suppose there is a scenario where Germany stops accepting travellers directly from Canada but still accepts Canada-originated travellers transiting through a Schengen country like Portugal, and Portugal continues to accept direct arrivals from Canada.
I'm saying Sweden already works like this, so there is precedent within the EU.

But what makes you think the probability of this scenario is greater than the joint probability of Portugal closing borders to Canada or Germany closing borders to Portugal?
I have no idea what the probabilities are for any of those scenarios.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm saying Sweden already works like this, so there is precedent within the EU.

I have no idea what the probabilities are for any of those scenarios.
Got it. I misunderstood. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Schengen or not, all EU countries are fully sovereign in matters of border control, so there is no point in speculating what one has done or may do, because it is irrelevant for all other cases.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp

Last edited by PointWeasel; Jul 15, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Nearly two weeks ago, the EU Council added Canada to the approved travel list:
https://twitter.com/EUCouncil/status...26491705135104

But Germany only added Canadians to their approved list last weekend, and the Netherlands, Belgium and Czech Republic (Czechia) this past weekend, so as others have said above, the EU Council makes recommendations but each member country makes its own rules on its own timeline (ie) Poland never took Canada off its list.

I transited via LIS last Monday en route to WAW and although I required a cheaper antigen test to transit, it was a breeze (as long as your flight arrives before the Brazilian and African flights).

The following two tools have been helpful, and avoid calling the airlines:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-...ffiliateid=lot

Edited to add: I was denied entry to the MUC LH Senator Lounge because I was not wearing an N95 mask and admitted to the FRA Senator Lounge only after providing proof of vaccination, so...travelling internationally these days is not for those who can not changes their plans or adapt to the changing rules.
Thank you for all this! So the proof of vaccination was not good enough for the MUC Senator Lounge? Was this a Canadian vaccine proof?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp

Last edited by PointWeasel; Jul 15, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.