Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[LGA-YUL-YVR] Overnight in YUL - need to collect bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer

I've got an overnight connection in YUL when coming back from the US. Will I need to collect my bags?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
AFAIK you always have to collect your bags, clear Canada customs, and then re-check your bags on the other side.

Whether or not you can drop your bags instead of taking them to your hotel... don't know.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
AFAIK you always have to collect your bags, clear Canada customs, and then re-check your bags on the other side.
That hasn't been true on US to domestic connections for years.

However, for overnights on AC (and most airlines), you always have to pick them up.
Adam Smith and YOWCDNFF like this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I recently flew YYC-YUL(o/n)-YYZ; the bag was checked thru all the way, and I checked with the baggage service in YUL, they said it should go and noted the bag anyways. I left the airport, and when I got to YYZ it was on the belt so it was good.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That hasn't been true on US to domestic connections for years.

However, for overnights on AC (and most airlines), you always have to pick them up.
The process that exempts one from having to pick up bags at the Canadian port of entry on itineraries with continuing domestic travel is called "ITD" and has been suspended for over a year at every Canadian airport I'm aware of due to COVID. Currently, the only pax inbound from a non-domestic flight that do not claim their bags at the POE are those that have immediate connecting flights to a third country.

Also due to COVID, the usual embargo on overnight connections has been lifted to prevent an unnecessary second check-in transmission vector, but this policy is sporadically followed and can be superseded at the request of the customer.

Clear as mud? Perfect.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by YYZC2
The process that exempts one from having to pick up bags at the Canadian port of entry on itineraries with continuing domestic travel is called "ITD" and has been suspended for over a year at every Canadian airport I'm aware of due to COVID. Currently, the only pax inbound from a non-domestic flight that do not claim their bags at the POE are those that have immediate connecting flights to a third country.

Also due to COVID, the usual embargo on overnight connections has been lifted to prevent an unnecessary second check-in transmission vector, but this policy is sporadically followed and can be superseded at the request of the customer.

Clear as mud? Perfect.
Indeed. The reason I ask is because I did a similar itin via YYZ not YUL and the bags were checked overnight.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:54 pm

Hi all,

So just to confirm - for an overnight AC connection in YYZ, they will hold onto the checked luggage overnight? (I have an overnight connection in both directions - domestic to international and then international to domestic.)

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Are you sure? Flew CUN - YYZ - YXU on Nov. 8 and our bags were transferred directly to the YYZ - YXU flight. To my big surprise, as I thought that ITD is suspended and I didn't know that arrivals from CUN were included in ITD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.