Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:59 pm

AC 1280 Jan 5

Beef tenderloin

My spouse said it was pretty good except for the salmon tartare which was inedible.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
I'm generally a fan of the seafood appetizers but I agree, that salmon tartare is pretty awful. I truly hope it's short lived because it's seemingly the sole appy on YVR-YYZ atm.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by cmill007
I'm generally a fan of the seafood appetizers but I agree, that salmon tartare is pretty awful. I truly hope it's short lived because it's seemingly the sole appy on YVR-YYZ atm.
Which is weird cause I actually like it since I just pick out the salmon pieces and its better than the couscous/quinoa dishes they serve. Reminds me of the Apple/Salmon salad in those boxes during COVID which was pretty good (better than that chicken wrap)
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:37 pm

My partner and I both thought the salmon tartar was the only above average part of our meal on our recent YVR-YYZ flight. Curious what others take issue with?
bcnfish, canadiancow and YSJ8ed like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS
Same here—I thought the salmon was pretty good. It made me wonder if something had changed. Then again, I did just have a grilled salmon fillet with seafood risotto for supper tonight, so I may be biased.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:06 pm

I think this is the first time I've ever actually been on N.A. business class > 2h in the morning. The only thing I found annoying was that with the recommended choice here being the omelette it was kind of annoying that the only real food in the lounge was ... also omelette.

I do have a question though. Was it the case before COVID that the whole plate was heated including the cottage cheese? Or is this a change due to the the "pre-plated" version of catering? I've never seen cottage cheese served hot before. It was actually kind of nice but just ... strange?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I think this is the first time I've ever actually been on N.A. business class > 2h in the morning. The only thing I found annoying was that with the recommended choice here being the omelette it was kind of annoying that the only real food in the lounge was ... also omelette.

I do have a question though. Was it the case before COVID that the whole plate was heated including the cottage cheese? Or is this a change due to the the "pre-plated" version of catering? I've never seen cottage cheese served hot before. It was actually kind of nice but just ... strange?
No NA flights were ever plated on the board. The omelette basically hasn't changed in over a decade.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Charcuterie board for breakfast

Title says it. SD understood and said she would never say no to my request.

I retained my fruit plate but forewent the pudding and the bread roll. Had a cup of Chardonnay with it and it was much better than the omelette.

Next time I might try cheese and biscuit, but not sure if it is significantly better than the usual cold breakfast.

Anyone a big fan of the smoke salmon sandwich?
unclepants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The omelette basically hasn't changed in over a decade.
There is something calming about the AC omelette though after having eaten it so many times.

I did a TPAC international return before Christmas so catered overseas, upgraded to J, ordered the omelette for breakfast and got served something different. I just wanted my red pepper jelly and sausage with my omelette like always :-)
expert7700 and myownfairytale like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
There is something calming about the AC omelette though after having eaten it so many times.
So true — I say as one who likes great variety in my meals, but always eats the same breakfast every day. The omelette is never great and never awful. It is the meatloaf and mashed potatoes of breakfast.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
My partner and I both thought the salmon tartar was the only above average part of our meal on our recent YVR-YYZ flight. Curious what others take issue with?
Whatever savoury element the smoked salmon tartare had was drowned out by the overall sweetness. The dish had a unidimensional profile: sugary. And, by the way, if it's "smoked", it's not "tartare". It's one or the other, but I couldn't tell whether it was smoked or raw salmon because it was impossible to really taste the central element of the dish, FFS!

In my native cuisine, meat/fish dishes are pretty much 100% savoury. I do love me a Canadian donair with the sweet sauce, and okay with a number of westernized Chinese dishes that have a bit too much sugar compared to their authentic counterparts. This thing was just gross though.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Bread was warm 😁 ac121 Jan 8

So wife hated the salmon as well. I thought it was ok. Beef was quite nice tbh. Amazingly the bread was warm but the butter was a rock. The whole cabin crew was amazing. But I do wonder if warm bread is just due to crew deciding to warm it up or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:56 pm

I've always assumed it was the crew just choosing not to warm them up. Half the time I get the bread when I'm already halfway done my entree as an afterthought.

If you can serve the meal hot, you can heat up a bun for 15 seconds. No reason they should be warm sometimes and ice cold others.

The braised beef is wonderful. Best entree in dom signature recently.
canadianhockey91 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmill007

Really? I like it so much I've tried to recreate it at home.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by p106_peppy
Really? I like it so much I've tried to recreate it at home.
First one I had was ice cold and had a grainy texture. Basically a hockey puck of half-thawed food. It was so unappetizing I've declined the dish every time since.

That said I think it was one of the very first times they'd served it, so it could be that I just had a poor draw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.