Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Air Canada Special Meals (2021 onwards)

Air Canada Special Meals (2021 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 29, 22, 8:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Air Canada special meals website

Information on AC's special meals prior to 2021 can be found here: Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 15, 22, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
Did you bring this to a cabin crew member's attention? If not, I would suggest writing it in. Often details like this are overlooked and if no-one is advised of this, it doesn't get fixed.
Is that something that needs fixing?

Children can't consume alcohol under the vast majority of Canada/US laws.

I've ordered CHML, but that doesn't mean I won't be consuming alcohol.
Old Aug 15, 22, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Is that something that needs fixing?

Children can't consume alcohol under the vast majority of Canada/US laws.

I've ordered CHML, but that doesn't mean I won't be consuming alcohol.
I think it would be. At least the margarine portion of it. There's a difference between requesting something (in your case, alcohol) by choice and having something included (the margarine) in the package. The coffeemate creamer might be forgiven (provided by default when passing the beverage to the passenger).... or it might be in a single pack these days with sugar/alternative... but the meals are supposed to be a "package". So the margarine being included is something to be examined. Then again, most breads provided on the flight technically wouldn't qualify as "vegan" as well, but the cabin crew will usually be too busy to think about these things (number of special meal types on top of the regular meals and the potential restrictions against all of them).

The creamer might also be forgiven as cabin crew move forward/rear to assist other cabins (for whatever reason) and not know of any special passenger restrictions in not their area.

The margarine can be dealt with easily, but has to be known. Which is why I ask the OP if they brought this to the attention of the cabin crew as feedback. In the chaos to get the meals and drinks out, something that simple can be easily overlooked that doesn't need to be.
Old Aug 15, 22, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
The margarine can be dealt with easily, but has to be known. Which is why I ask the OP if they brought this to the attention of the cabin crew as feedback. In the chaos to get the meals and drinks out, something that simple can be easily overlooked that doesn't need to be.
Even if @FlY2XS did mention it to the cabin crew, he should still write in. If he writes in via the customer service web form, the comment will likely eventually make its way to the right person. In the chaos to get the meals and drinks out, and cleared away when done, it's quite possible that a comment to an FA died there, or that the FA mentioned it to the SD and the SD didn't do anything with it.
Old Aug 15, 22, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS View Post
We did Tcon/Transborder trips just recently. The good news was that DW/DD special Vegan meals were properly logged on multiple flights. The bad news was that some were served with added Canola Harvest margarine and Coffee mate packages, both of which contain milk ingredients which aren't even close to Vegan. It is not that they were offended, but rather, we choose VEGAN to ensure that they aren't served dairy products, and this was kind of like Van Halen finding brown M+Ms in their dressing room. (Just Google that if it doesn't make sense).
Hopefully it was just a mistake by flight crew trying to make things work, but unfortunately, it introduced just a bit of doubt that the person who has been tasked with ensuring the vegan meal actually meets the standard has actually done their job.
Were these items on your tray, or were they handed to you by the crew?

I remember in past times these items were on special meal trays by default (even though kids can have butter). If that was the case, then writing in so catering can adjust what's placed on the trays would be helpful.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 8:29 am

Everytime I've requested a special meal in the past, it's always been served in a box with plastic cutlery. Is this still the case?
Old Sep 28, 22, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire
I have a future flight on Air Canada, booked through United. Flying YVR to ORD. It appears special meals are available for business class, so I called AC and they said they have added my GFML request. Is this going to work, or do I need to call in again closer to departure to confirm/verify? My experience with United flights is spotty, so I'm wondering what to expect.
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by najama2 View Post
Everytime I've requested a special meal in the past, it's always been served in a box with plastic cutlery. Is this still the case?
During the "pandemic-era service", it seemed they had the signature black box for SPMLs on all flights, but they seemed to have reverted to regular trays on non-Signature business class flights
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF View Post
During the "pandemic-era service", it seemed they had the signature black box for SPMLs on all flights, but they seemed to have reverted to regular trays on non-Signature business class flights
Strange that they have reverted back only for non-signature business class. Isn't signature class supposed to be a more elevated experience?
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Strange that they have reverted back only for non-signature business class. Isn't signature class supposed to be a more elevated experience?
​​​​​​This post is definitely about Signature.
Old Sep 28, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The boxes went bye bye a few months back.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
Originally Posted by atword View Post
I have a future flight on Air Canada, booked through United. Flying YVR to ORD. It appears special meals are available for business class, so I called AC and they said they have added my GFML request. Is this going to work, or do I need to call in again closer to departure to confirm/verify? My experience with United flights is spotty, so I'm wondering what to expect.
I don't think calling in will serve much purpose - at the end of the day all they can do is confirm that yes your special meal was correctly entered into the system, which it likely was. Whether catering delivers it as requested will be the open question. They usually do but with the state of the service industry these days, nothing is guaranteed.
Old Sep 28, 22, 3:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I don't think calling in will serve much purpose - at the end of the day all they can do is confirm that yes your special meal was correctly entered into the system, which it likely was. Whether catering delivers it as requested will be the open question. They usually do but with the state of the service industry these days, nothing is guaranteed.
I've experienced a few missing SPML's recently and seems to have been bookings through UA on AC. I would just call AC to confirm at least 24 hours in advance of your departure.
The Lev and atword like this.
Old Sep 29, 22, 5:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Special meals with e-upgrades?

Hello, flyertalk - first post here. Thanks to all for this helpful forum.

On to business: I recently flew YEG-SFO roundtrip on AC Jazz flights. Got e-upgrades both ways. My special meal request is part of my profile, but the meal wasn't there. The flight attendants very nicely arranged food for us, and I wrote in with a compliment about that to AC.

My question is: should the meal requests have come through with the e-upgrades (one cleared several days before, the other the day before), or is that not a thing? Does it matter that it was a Jazz flight?

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 22, 5:40 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sandy King View Post
My special meal request is part of my profile,
Just being on an Aeroplan profile doesn't mean it is or was ever on your ticket. It may suggest that during the booking flow, but you should be able to check the reservation via your original email or your eupgrade email, to see if it is on there.

I haven't seen or heard issues with SPML and eups in particular... Except if the eup request doesn't clear until at the gate, be prepared to eat the lower cost (to AC) economy class special meal.
​​​​​
Sandy King likes this.
Old Sep 29, 22, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
On that route, there is no meal, special or otherwise, in Y.

I seem to recall it drops it off the booking if an upgrade clears, which ca be another issue (though not on a flight like that).

You need to add the request after your upgrade clears.
expert7700 and Sandy King like this.

Search this Thread