Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals (2021 onwards)

Old Jun 25, 21, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Air Canada special meals website

Information on AC's special meals prior to 2021 can be found here: Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Special Meals (2021 onwards)

Old Mar 21, 22, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Yeah, I'm tempted to request one of those now
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 22, 22, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
More importantly, did it taste as good as it looked?
Both 6 & 8 yr old said it was pretty good 👍. They did have it twice each over a 8 hr period.

On a side note the childs breakfast is similar except with pancakes instead of chicken fingers.
Old Mar 22, 22, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My 10 year old also quite like the new-ish chicken fingers CHML. She couldn't stand the mac and cheese that they used to serve pre-pandemic
Old Mar 22, 22, 10:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Guess I'm having a CHML tomorrow.
Old Mar 22, 22, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Guess I'm having a CHML tomorrow.
Win-win... get the CHML or $50 credit!
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:21 pm

I'm getting very tired of curry in the Veg/No egg/no dairy meal option in J and PY. I've never had a meal yet where the main course was something other than curry.

Does anyone regularly get the Oriental Vegetarian special meal? If so, a) does it tend to be vegan (i.e. no egg, no dairy); and b) will I be able to avoid the dreaded curry main course?
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by frogoutofwater View Post
Oriental Vegetarian special meal?
What's the code for that? They actually call it that?
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
What's the code for that? They actually call it that?
VOML

And it seems it's no longer on AC's page

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l-meals.html#/

Looking at the original thread for Special Meals started by SAP in 2015, AC's meals listed in his OP were:

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

At least AC cleared up the frequent confusion for some folks, where Asian Vegetarian was assumed to be like Chinese for e.g., but in fact, was actually Indian food.

Back in 2010, AC's lacto-ovo on TATLs were great. I tried some vegetarian to HKG in 2016 and it was beyond gross. My post and photos are in the original thread. (Always baffling as I had outstanding VOMLs on BR and CX catered ex-YYZ.)

On other flights, I noticed that some main hot meals and mid-flight snacks had labelling for 3 different types of special meals.

But hey, at least the photo on the AC page looks appealing.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 29, 22 at 9:47 pm
Old Mar 30, 22, 11:00 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by YLWflyer View Post
Child meal the same on both domestic and international J, SD said it actually surprised her how good it looked.
Thank you for sharing.

I showed the pic to my 9 year old and then we reviewed the menus for our upcoming flights this weekend. She picked the child meal for both flights.
Old Mar 30, 22, 12:31 pm

The CHML was fine, but the chicken was a bit soggy.
Old Apr 4, 22, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
International J SPML are now served with China and Silverware rather than the Bento Box style.
Below is the CHML apparently it was quiet good.
The LCML was pretty good as well (Chicken with Vegetables and Rice)
Old Apr 30, 22, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC Plebeian Super Elite
Now that the NLML is gone, is the GFML non lactose? Or am I stuck with the VGML for lactose concerns?
Old Jun 12, 22, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone know what the typical AVML is ex-YVR on long-haul (to Asia - specifically AC3 (NRT), and while were at it, the return on AC4).

i would actually try the VOML myself, but seems AC doesnt offer it anymore (Ive got that on the NH segments of this itinerary). My biggest concern if the AVML typically contains eggplant and/or Okra in the main - both common in AVML, but about the only veg I dont like. Then theres my wife, who will eat those no issues - generally she likes Indian-style dishes - but doesnt eat paneer, which is another common AVML option. Just trying to get expectations.
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Anyone know what the typical AVML is ex-YVR on long-haul (to Asia - specifically AC3 (NRT), and while were at it, the return on AC4).

i would actually try the VOML myself, but seems AC doesnt offer it anymore (Ive got that on the NH segments of this itinerary). My biggest concern if the AVML typically contains eggplant and/or Okra in the main - both common in AVML, but about the only veg I dont like. Then theres my wife, who will eat those no issues - generally she likes Indian-style dishes - but doesnt eat paneer, which is another common AVML option. Just trying to get expectations.
just following up - AVML was actually pretty decent on YVR-NRT - main was spiced lentil with rice. Interestingly, served with normal American-style role (not sure in NA, but Asian carriers - even N. Asian carriers) typically serve with something like a roti-style bread, but whatever. Dessert was a vegan cookie. I dont even remember what meal # 2 was, but served with a different type of vegan cookie.

One other question if people know, anyone know if you can ask for a regular meal onboard if ordering AVML. Issue on the return is both mains of the first service are meat, which I cant have so want the special with that, but would almost certainly prefer the cheese omelet theyve been serving as the second meal (it comes with sausages, but in the side and I dont mind just leaving it there). I certainly dont want to take away an option from someone else, but dont think theres a way to specify AVML for one meal but regular for other service.
Old Jun 19, 22, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC Plebeian Super Elite
AC Signature Class domestic vegan meal. Absolutely vile. Egg frittata? Came with butter and a creamer with milk ingredients. This is supposed to be the non lactose option too. I've shared this with my AC corporate contacts already so hopefully this catering issue is fixed soon, but this was one of my worst meals on AC.

Last edited by kubees; Jun 19, 22 at 10:02 pm

Search this Thread