Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd be curious to get a quote if you just drop YYZ-JFK.

I've seen some weird things over the phone where they can't (sometimes) can't reprice a bound with an AC segment in the same fare class. And while going from L to T likely would be pretty small, if that results in going from I to P, I could see the difference being much higher.

Then you could hope that after the change, there's I class on the AC flight, and you could add it back.

But if that's the case, that would require two change fees if you're not eligible for a free change.

It might be cheaper to just cancel the AC leg and buy it separately with points or cash.

Alternatively, if the quote without the AC leg is still high, it suggests they're doing something wrong.
I'm not knowledgeable about all the fare codes, but did have the same thought after hanging up about wondering what would happen dropping the YYZ - JFK segment.

Fortunately I am SE, so free changes. Maybe if I'm bored with some time I'll call back and play around with it.
Always fearful the agent will somehow mess up the rest of the itinerary somehow though...
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:15 am

My understanding is that if you book two flights on same day (with overlapping time), AC will cancel one of them. My question is, does the same apply to AP stopover itineraries.

For example, if I have a reward flight from LHR-SYD with a 9 day stopover in SIN, can I book a short round trip AP reward trip SIN-BKK-SIN during the stopover without fear of something being cancelled?

Last edited by gospelle; Feb 7, 2023 at 11:18 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gospelle
My understanding is that if you book two flights on same day, AC will cancel on of them. My question is, does the same apply to AP stopover itineraries.

For example, if I have a reward flight from LHR-SYD with a 9 day stopover in SIN, can I book a short round trip AP reward trip SIN-BKK-SIN during the stopover without fear of something being cancelled?
That shouldn't be an issue. AC tends to cancel things that conflict. Their view of what conflicts tends to be slightly warped, but I don't think this would pose any problems.
D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:31 pm

I was able to ticket this for 130K + ~ $200 taxes/fees + $30 phone booking fee

Goal was to fly F RTW. Was playing with itineraries with EY and WY for the past few days and TG appeared today. Need to round out the trip but I think I'm off to a good start. Many F seems to use married segment logic, which could be advantageous depending on situation.

edit: shoutout to canadiancow for cowtool, couldn't have done it without you!!!

Last edited by 22calbr; Feb 8, 2023 at 3:04 pm
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:06 am

I'm trying to book a Aeroplan rewards BKK-FCO-YYZ with a stopover in FCO, however, the system doesn't recognize FCO is a stopover and pricing the 2 segments as separate itinerary. Am I missing something? I thought we should have the capability to do this online now or do I still have to call it in and pay the booking fee?
?
'
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by canadianidol
I'm trying to book a Aeroplan rewards BKK-FCO-YYZ with a stopover in FCO, however, the system doesn't recognize FCO is a stopover and pricing the 2 segments as separate itinerary. Am I missing something? I thought we should have the capability to do this online now or do I still have to call it in and pay the booking fee?
?
'
It works for me...note that to get a stopover, you don't use the multicity tool and enter BKK-FCO as flight 1, and FCO-YYZ as flight 2. It's BKK-YYZ with a stopover in FCO for x days. Like this:

kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
I have an award redemption in F with stopover in HND on route to HKG that I booked for 135k

JFK-HND Dec 13 in F from ANA
HND-TPE-HKG Dec 16 in J from BR

I want to actually change the departure to HKG a day earlier. Would calling in to change the HND-HKG legs cause a re-pricing of the itinerary or would it simply incur a voluntary $100 change fee?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by wongbr
I have an award redemption in F with stopover in HND on route to HKG that I booked for 135k

I want to actually change the departure to HKG a day earlier. Would calling in to change the HND-HKG legs cause a re-pricing of the itinerary or would it simply incur a voluntary $100 change fee?
The only time a 100% partner award would get re-priced is if your changes put you into a different distance band. This wouldn't be the case in your situation, so it'll just be the change fee and any difference in taxes if applicable.
ffsim, canadiancow, wongbr and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The only time a 100% partner award would get re-priced is if your changes put you into a different distance band. This wouldn't be the case in your situation, so it'll just be the change fee and any difference in taxes if applicable.
Just to be pedantic, there's also the case where you book something, then they change the chart, then you make a change. You'd be subject to the new chart then.

But I think those are the only two times
ChrisA330 and Smiley90 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
That's generally true, but don't forget about the EK partner award
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
That's generally true, but don't forget about the EK partner award
Good point..it's getting hard to keep track.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:18 pm

Has anyone had luck merging two bookings? I.e. JFK-HND on booking 1, 5 days later, HND-TPE on booking 2. With the 5 day gap being added as a stopover to booking 1?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FlySkyHigh
Has anyone had luck merging two bookings? I.e. JFK-HND on booking 1, 5 days later, HND-TPE on booking 2. With the 5 day gap being added as a stopover to booking 1?
Not possible. You need to book it as one with a stopover. Or book one and then call in to have the second (unbooked & available) flight added. Booking them separately and calling in to combine for a refund does not work.
FlySkyHigh likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by wongbr

Are you positive you're flying from HND to TPE? Not HND to TSA or NRT to TPE? I have not heard Japanese Aviation Authority give a go to operate any flights between HND to TPE? Same thing happened to TSA only has flights to GMP, but not ICN, you better to double check.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello! I'm hoping to get back into redeeming AP rewards and this is my first post about redeeming after a long hiatus. I was a bit dejected after my summer 2020 mRTW to Europe got cancelled. It took countless hours to book but vanished so quickly! Although, I am grateful that I was able to do a mini RTW to Europe in the summer of 2019 through the AP program before AP 2.0 was implemented.

The landscape has changed and I'm hoping for some help.

Planning to travel to Vietnam within the next 13 months before my infant is 2.

Origin is YYZMy first thoughts are to use Eva Air to TPE from YYZ or any big hub into NRT japan to get to Asia.

Any suggestions for routing to and from Vietnam would be appreciated.

We are also open to other destinations besides Vietnam under AP 2.0 that anyone can recommend for a couple travelling with a 1 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.