Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by kayexalate
Just booked sfo-yyz-cai one way on combo of ac and Ms metal. Website was not showing the combo of flights I wanted even though the individual segments were available.
So I had to call in to get an agent to book the tickets which they were able to for 98k ow in business. I booked these 360 days out.

I plan to add another leg (cai-Cdg) when that becomes available for the date I want (in about 12 days), making CAI my “stopover” and CDG my final destination. I didn’t could have tried to book this online but didn’t want to risk losing out on the sfo-cai portion.

was hoping i could do this online but the “change ticket “ button is greyed out. Not sure if this is because I booked the itinerary through an agent and not online.

the agent waived the booking fee but said it was an exception and even if I couldn’t book online they don’t typically do this.

when I’m ready to add on my list Leg will this be considered another call center charge that I’ll need to ask to waive?

Anyone book an itinerary online and then successfully add a leg later and be Able to do this online without an agent?

hold Times were 45 min and the agent I got didn’t know anything and it took her 3 hours to ticket it. I tried HUCA and got the same agent!!
Because your routing involves AC, adding a segment will reprice the entire itinerary. So be ready to be asked to pay a LOT more for any changes.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Because your routing involves AC, adding a segment will reprice the entire itinerary. So be ready to be asked to pay a LOT more for any changes.
actually when I did a dummy booking it only added another 11.5k miles. Even booking the CAI-CDG leg as a standalone ticket it’s only 20k but I’d prefer to just pay 11.5k more.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
actually when I did a dummy booking it only added another 11.5k miles. Even booking the CAI-CDG leg as a standalone ticket it’s only 20k but I’d prefer to just pay 11.5k more.
Today, sure. Tomorrow, it might add more. Or make it cheaper. Or anything else. Just be aware!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:14 am

Just booked sfo-yyz-cai one way on combo of ac and Ms metal. Website was not showing the combo of flights I wanted even though the individual segments were available.
So I had to call in to get an agent to book the tickets which they were able to for 98k ow in business. I booked these 360 days out.

I plan to add another leg (cai-Cdg) when that becomes available for the date I want (in about 12 days), making CAI my “stopover” and CDG my final destination. I didn’t could have tried to book this online but didn’t want to risk losing out on the sfo-cai portion.

was hoping i could do this online but the “change ticket “ button is greyed out. Not sure if this is because I booked the itinerary through an agent and not online.

the agent waived the booking fee but said it was an exception and even if I couldn’t book online they don’t typically do this.

when I’m ready to add on my list Leg will this be considered another call center charge that I’ll need to ask to waive?

Anyone book an itinerary online and then successfully add a leg later and be Able to do this online without an agent?

hold Times were 45 min and the agent I got didn’t know anything and it took her 3 hours to ticket it. I tried HUCA and got the same agent!!
I don't think any AP award flights are "changeable" online through self-service tool.

I think there may be something in the works, but nothing as of today from my understanding.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I don't think any AP award flights are "changeable" online through self-service tool.

I think there may be something in the works, but nothing as of today from my understanding.
pentiumvi does AP = award partner? (i.e. non AC metal flights?)
Also, FWIW, I did book a "flexible" award ticket, which should allow changes without any fees.

Last edited by kayexalate; Nov 16, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
pentiumvi does AP = award partner? (i.e. non AC metal flights?)
Also, FWIW, I did book a "flexible" award ticket, which should allow changes without any fees.
AP = Aeroplan
Flexible award ticket does not make it changeable online versus calling in
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
AP = Aeroplan
Flexible award ticket does not make it changeable online versus calling in
Thanks for clarifying
just curious why they would have a "change" button (that is greyed out for me) for award tickets if they don't allow changes.
or maybe its just for revenue tickets?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks for clarifying
just curious why they would have a "change" button (that is greyed out for me) for award tickets if they don't allow changes.
or maybe its just for revenue tickets?
It's the same interface for all tickets. It's also greyed out for revenue tickets booked through other airlines.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
You'll be doing something called hidden city ticketing. It works well if you only have a carry-on but in case of IRROPS they will re-reroute you to your original destination which would be Dubai in this case and not DEL. Not to mention most of the time they wont allow you to short check checked luggage.
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
You aare in the clear regarding hidden city ticketing as far as Irrops and bag check go. Whether AC gets upset with you is up to them though. Is there a return ticket and, if so, is it with AC? If so, skipping the leg would put you at AC's mercy to get on a plane back to Canada. They might demand additional payment for the missed flight. It is not very likely, but if something like this came to pass, I would certainly rather be home arguing the semantics than in an airport, trying to get on a flight.
Coming back from DEL to YYZ seeing 89000 Aeroplan points with Air Canada in Premium Economy. The same flight going to New York with a 6 hour stop over at YYZ (my final destination) is 79000 AP in premium economy seating. Is worth to save 20000 points (2 flyers) and doing the short check luggage, What if they don't allow it, luggage goes to NY?

Another question, never travelled in Premium economy. Is it worth the upgrade from 74000 points to 89000, 17 hour nonstop flight. That is what the difference is flying from DEL to YYZ.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rakeshs_ca
Coming back from DEL to YYZ seeing 89000 Aeroplan points with Air Canada in Premium Economy. The same flight going to New York with a 6 hour stop over at YYZ (my final destination) is 79000 AP in premium economy seating. Is worth to save 20000 points (2 flyers) and doing the short check luggage, What if they don't allow it, luggage goes to NY?

Another question, never travelled in Premium economy. Is it worth the upgrade from 74000 points to 89000, 17 hour nonstop flight. That is what the difference is flying from DEL to YYZ.
If I had the points, I would definitely pay that difference for PY over Y on a 17h flight. The extra elbow room is what I appreciate the most, but extra legroom and better catering don't hurt either. On a 77L, Y is 3-4-3 while PY is 2-4-2. 8 seats across the plane instead of 10.
rakeshs_ca likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:30 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Can the following be booked one one award ticket? Not looking to do a stopover so each leg can be priced separately. Just want to maximize using my priority rewards...

Leg 1 - ATH to JNB (connecting via AUH on EY)
Leg 2 - JNB to NYC (connecting via AUH on EY)
Leg 3 - YYZ to ATH (on AC direct or connecting in FRA/MUC/ZRH)

Obviously would have to call to book as the website search is limited to 2 legs.

Thank you.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Looking forward to our booking in December. Booked J Class for two people:

CPT-JNB SA A320
JNB-AUH EY B787
AUH-BAH EY A320
BAH-DMM GF A320
DMM-MCT WY A320
MCT-FRA WY B787
CanadianMike likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:07 pm

One of the bloggers recently mentioned that I can include a stopover for an additional 5000 miles. That's great. But when exploring awards from Asia to Europe, and adding a stopover (either Asia or Europe), the cost is far more than 5000 miles.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Steve
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:45 pm

Deleted
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by YEGcg
Wow! The last time I logged into FT was almost 2 years ago!

I'm looking at booking my first flights since completing a mini-RTW in February 2020. A lot has changed with AE and aviation in general, and we've been stuck at home the whole time.

We're looking at YEG - Adriatic Sea area (VCE, ZAG, PRG, VIE etc) with a stopover maybe in BCN, BER, etc. AC.com says a 5000 point stopover is possible on a OW itin, but it doesn't appear when searching there.

Questions:
  1. Is this feature enabled on the website currently?
  2. Is it a 'call in' thing? Are the agents knowledgable or do I have to HUCA?
  3. Any other caveats for the stopover? ie. must be with the same airline, must be with AC (which would be ludicrous). I know that backtracking (ie. transiting the same airport twice isn't possible)
Thanks for any info or tips! We're really looking forward to doing a new type of trip for us: backpacking/hostelling in our 40s
Did you receive a definitive answer as I have the same set of questions? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.