Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by supatight80
Is anyone familiar with the stopover for an extra 5k miles?
I called AP for a flight MNL - IST (1 way) with a stopover in YVR and I was quoted 2X 1 way miles (160K)
I thought this would just be 80K miles + 5K.
Is my itinerary wrong?
No North American stopovers allowed IIRC
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No North American stopovers allowed IIRC
Oh ok. Yah youre right.

So MNL YVR with stopover IST would work?

​​​​​​Can I pick any 2 segments I find on AP? Or do I need to find a MNL - YVR itinerary with a layover on IST, then call in to say I want that layover to be a stopover?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
Booking Stopover

Hi,
I know I can't book online. My question is, is it possible for the agent to waive the $30 fee? I will be booking 4 people from the same account for the same flight. Will this be 1 booking or 4?
Thanks,
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by triptastic
Hi,
I know I can't book online. My question is, is it possible for the agent to waive the $30 fee? I will be booking 4 people from the same account for the same flight. Will this be 1 booking or 4?
Thanks,
I did get the agents to waive the call centre booking fees for both my complicated Aeroplan bookings. That said, the whole process was a disaster because both reps really didn't understand the new program. In one case I had to escalate to a supervisor who completed the booking and in the second case I escalated to a supervisor, but the rep figured it out during the hold for the supervisor and apologized at his mistake.

They really should have a "complicated booking" desk. There is nothing worse than arguing with a rep who says "I have worked here for 15 years. I know that is not possible." It's great that you have worked at Aeroplan for 15 years, but the program is completely new.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Benner
I did get the agents to waive the call centre booking fees for both my complicated Aeroplan bookings. That said, the whole process was a disaster because both reps really didn't understand the new program. In one case I had to escalate to a supervisor who completed the booking and in the second case I escalated to a supervisor, but the rep figured it out during the hold for the supervisor and apologized at his mistake.

They really should have a "complicated booking" desk. There is nothing worse than arguing with a rep who says "I have worked here for 15 years. I know that is not possible." It's great that you have worked at Aeroplan for 15 years, but the program is completely new.
What was the complicated itinerary, if you don't mind my asking?

Just looking for some idea as to what's possible and what isn't under the new rules.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kalderlake
What was the complicated itinerary, if you don't mind my asking?

Just looking for some idea as to what's possible and what isn't under the new rules.
Sure!

Booking A:

[ ] indicate the one-way bounds.

My ideal logic was:

[YYZ > TPE > HKG] [HKG > TPE] [TPE > DPS (stop) > IST > YYZ]

The rep said he couldn't see any EVA flights and I would have to use AC. That's when I escalated to a supervisor. When on hold waiting for the supervisor he found a way to filter the outbound search to EVA. He did apologize and was nice about his mistake. The system wouldn't price out the above itinerary, but rather forced the following bounding logic (which was more expensive):

[YYZ > TPE > HKG] [HKG > TPE (stop) > DPS] [DPS > IST > YYZ].

I've escalated to AC. Not sure if there is something in my initial booking that wasn't valid. The final booking was 240,000 / 2 (priority award) = 120,000. The original logic would have been less.

Booking B:

The second booking consisted of three tickets (I've ignored the bounding logic as I don't know what it ended up being):

Ticket 1: YYZ > CDG (stopping here) > AUH > SYD (stopping here) > HND (stopping here) > YYZ = 220,000 points / 2 (priority award) = 110,000 points.
and
Ticket 2 + 3: YVR > YYZ > CDG (stopping here) > AUH > SYD (stopping here) > HND (stopping here) > YVR = 257,200 points / 2 (priority award) = 128,600 points

In this case the rep said I couldn't go from Toronto to Sydney via Paris. I told him just to enter the flights and the system would figure it out as Toronto to Paris could be one bound and Paris to Sydney could be another bound, etc. He tried it and it priced, but he absolutely refused to try the Vancouver to Paris to Sydney ticket. He said he had worked there for 15 years, etc, etc. That's when I escalated to the supervisor and she was able to price and book all three tickets (and didn't charge the phone booking fee).

The first trip is in late October and the second trip is in early December. Not sure if any of them are going to happen, but it is fun to have some amazing trips to look forward to – even if they don't end up happening. Really happy about the Priority Reward extension as if these trips get cancelled I will still get some good use out of them.

Would love any insight from the group on the first logic.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@Benner thanks for sharing that very detailed information with examples
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:05 pm

Yes, thanks for the detailed response.

Much appreciated.

kl
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
I booked today over the phone for next march. YYJ-YVR-LHR-CAI stop CAI-IST-DPS all in J with the exception of YYJ-YVR. this is a one way booking for 4 people and the total cost was 110000 points per person and approx $780 total fees.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by opentag
(2) Yes stopovers can only be booked by phone currently.
(3) The routing can only be a maximum of 2x the direct route. As SYD-NRT is 4846 miles and SYD-YVR-NRT is 12,341 miles that routing would not be legal. (By the announced rules anyway, never know what *might* be OKed)

Not 100% sure on NA stopovers as you ask in (1) but like you my understanding is they're not allowed, though origins outside NA may change that. Also getting availability on SYD-YVR for a reasonable amount of points is likely to remain VERY challenging.
I agree. I checked for months before COVID and couldn't find any decent redemption. I ended up buying a cheap cash fare.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by opentag
(2) Yes stopovers can only be booked by phone currently.
(3) The routing can only be a maximum of 2x the direct route. As SYD-NRT is 4846 miles and SYD-YVR-NRT is 12,341 miles that routing would not be legal. (By the announced rules anyway, never know what *might* be OKed)

Not 100% sure on NA stopovers as you ask in (1) but like you my understanding is they're not allowed, though origins outside NA may change that. Also getting availability on SYD-YVR for a reasonable amount of points is likely to remain VERY challenging.
it's hard to believe that flying Sydney to Tokyo via Vancouver is valid, since sydney and tokyo are within the pacific zone whereas vancouver belongs the north america zone. i think that it is ok flying from sydney to vancouver via tokyo, so one needs to pay the requirement amount from the table 'between north america and pacific zones' plus 5000 points for the stopover. 60,000 points plus 5,000 points = 65,000 points one way in economy or 85k + 5k in business. (ANA + AC or ANA + ANA) sydney to vancouver via tokyo is 9520 miles calculated from gcmap, it falls in the bracket of ' 7501 -11 000 miles'

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...predictor.html
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:32 pm

Does anyone know if there are routing rules against going back to the same country (not the same airport) in the same one-way bound? I'm trying to figure out why this happened:

Tried to book YVR-BNE-AKL (stop)-ZQN-SYD (under 11k miles) in business and I was quoted 115k points. I was expecting this to be 90k.
I removed the last segment so it became YVR-BNE-AKL (stop)-ZQN and I was quoted 90k points.

The last segment for ZQN-SYD has business availability so I don't believe that was the issue. I'm trying to figure out if there an undocumented rule that's making the route invalid.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by thedoraemon
Does anyone know if there are routing rules against going back to the same country (not the same airport) in the same one-way bound? I'm trying to figure out why this happened:

Tried to book YVR-BNE-AKL (stop)-ZQN-SYD (under 11k miles) in business and I was quoted 115k points. I was expecting this to be 90k.
I removed the last segment so it became YVR-BNE-AKL (stop)-ZQN and I was quoted 90k points.

The last segment for ZQN-SYD has business availability so I don't believe that was the issue. I'm trying to figure out if there an undocumented rule that's making the route invalid.
It looks like you're being charged 105,000 points for the flights plus 5,000 for the stopover, which should only apply if your total distance flown exceeds 11,000 miles. I make the total distance flown to be 10,621, so they'd have to be rounding up awfully hard to nail you on that one.

You should be paying (85,000 + 5,000) based on distance. I'm not aware of a country rule for this specific case, though rules do exist about leaving and then re-entering the same zone (for example, LAX-LHR-YYT wouldn't work as a one-way bound).

I'd HUCA to start.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by triptastic
Hi,
Thanks,
You can just book one segment online and then call in to add the rest in. Phone booking fees do not apply for changes, only for new bookings. You can make unlimited changes with no fees until Apr 30 due to COVID-19 (might be extended). Honestly, they shouldn't be charging phone booking fees in the first place if there are no self-serve options.

I know you already booked this, just posting this so others know for future bookings.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by thedoraemon
You can just book one segment online and then call in to add the rest in. Phone booking fees do not apply for changes, only for new bookings. You can make unlimited changes with no fees until Apr 30 due to COVID-19 (might be extended). Honestly, they shouldn't be charging phone booking fees in the first place if there are no self-serve options.

I know you already booked this, just posting this so others know for future bookings.
knowing you can't book stopovers online right now - if someone called in to book an entirely new booking with a stopover would they be charged the $30 fee? and yes i was not aware this was the best method so thanks for that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.