Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by rakeshs_ca
Why is that return trips on points are more expensive that one ways?
Delhi to YYZ when purchased as one way is 75000 points
However when purchased as part of the return trip is 111000 points.
Maybe some weird AP dynamic pricing, are they AC or partner flights?

Can't say I've seen that in my bookings
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Maybe some weird AP dynamic pricing, are they AC or partner flights?

Can't say I've seen that in my bookings
Non stop AC coming back

Wouldn't have been looking at one ways but 2 travellers will be coming back sooner than us so had separate out the tickets.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:43 pm

I was searching for DUB-OGG/HNL using cowtool. And it seems I can find decent options via YYZ and YVR but none via YUL and YVR. I guess they've stopped YUL-DUB for the winter but there are definitely still connections to YUL such as DUB-FRA-YUL it should be possible to connect that with YYZ-YVR-HNL no?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Trying to see if a stopover is possible...it's not on the website but can't tell what rules it violates.
goal is JFK to SYD, with a stopover in DPS.
There's availability JFK-TPE-DPS (BR) and then DPS-SYD (VA).
Is this an invalid routing or should I just call?
Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Why is that return trips on points are more expensive that one ways?
Delhi to YYZ when purchased as one way is 75000 points
However when purchased as part of the return trip is 111000 points.
Had this issue as well.

YYZ-OPO was 59k in J
LIS-YYZ was 79K in J

Booked together, YYZ-OPO was the same and LIS-YYZ became 139k!!!! No idea why, booked separately... hopefully no need to cancel lol.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:33 am

Another booking question
YYZ - DEL nonstop with AC is 99000 points in February
However, if I do YYZ - Dubai with a stop over in DEL, same AC flight to Delhi, the points are 70000 points.

To save 120000 points (4 travellers) would I run into any complications if I don't take the flight to Dubai, on landing in Delhi or leaving from YYZ?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Another booking question
YYZ - DEL nonstop with AC is 99000 points in February
However, if I do YYZ - Dubai with a stop over in DEL, same AC flight to Delhi, the points are 70000 points.

To save 120000 points (4 travellers) would I run into any complications if I don't take the flight to Dubai, on landing in Delhi or leaving from YYZ?
You'll be doing something called hidden city ticketing. It works well if you only have a carry-on but in case of IRROPS they will re-reroute you to your original destination which would be Dubai in this case and not DEL. Not to mention most of the time they wont allow you to short check checked luggage.
mb4wong likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
You'll be doing something called hidden city ticketing. It works well if you only have a carry-on but in case of IRROPS they will re-reroute you to your original destination which would be Dubai in this case and not DEL. Not to mention most of the time they wont allow you to short check checked luggage.
If the OP is actually talking about a stopover in Delhi, as they wrote, then picking up their luggage in Delhi would not be short checking it, everybody with a stopover has to collect their luggage. And IRROPS would not be an issue either as Delhi would still be one of their destinations. If they really meant a connection in Delhi, then yes, big risks associated with checked bags and IRROPs
canadiancow and kalderlake like this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
This doesn't make sense to me. Flying to Delhi from Toronto through Zurich is 70000 AP. Flying the same route with a day stopover is 60000. Don't want to lose a day but tempted to save the 40000, for 4 flyers
Is Delhi where you want to go in India or is the final destination somewhere inside of India (i.e. Calcutta)? If the latter, I would be curious what flying from Toronto to said city would be since you would likely have the Air Canada flight from Toronto to Delhi (via Zurich) followed by the partner flight (i.e. Vistara or Air India) from Delhi to final destination city in India.

All of that being said, mixing AC flights with partner flights on award all bets are off in terms of mileage required to book said flight.

-RooFlyer88
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
If the OP is actually talking about a stopover in Delhi, as they wrote, then picking up their luggage in Delhi would not be short checking it, everybody with a stopover has to collect their luggage. And IRROPS would not be an issue either as Delhi would still be one of their destinations. If they really meant a connection in Delhi, then yes, big risks associated with checked bags and IRROPs
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
Is Delhi where you want to go in India or is the final destination somewhere inside of India (i.e. Calcutta)? If the latter, I would be curious what flying from Toronto to said city would be since you would likely have the Air Canada flight from Toronto to Delhi (via Zurich) followed by the partner flight (i.e. Vistara or Air India) from Delhi to final destination city in India.

All of that being said, mixing AC flights with partner flights on award all bets are off in terms of mileage required to book said flight.

-RooFlyer88
Delhi is my actual final destination. The way I did the itinerary I choose Delhi as the stopover for 20 days and chose Dubai as the final destination. I will be flying back from Delhi to YYZ. So no interest in going to Dubai (not that there is anything wrong with Dubai :-) just trying to save 120000 AP for 4 travelers. So short checking of luggage is not required either

Last edited by rakeshs_ca; Nov 12, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Old Nov 12, 2022, 6:12 pm

Delhi is my actual final destination. The way I did the itinerary I choose Delhi as the stopover for 20 days and chose Dubai as the final destination. I will be flying back from Delhi to YYZ. So no interest in going to Dubai (not that there is anything wrong with Dubai :-) just trying to save 120000 AP for 4 travelers. So short checking of luggage is not required either
You aare in the clear regarding hidden city ticketing as far as Irrops and bag check go. Whether AC gets upset with you is up to them though. Is there a return ticket and, if so, is it with AC? If so, skipping the leg would put you at AC's mercy to get on a plane back to Canada. They might demand additional payment for the missed flight. It is not very likely, but if something like this came to pass, I would certainly rather be home arguing the semantics than in an airport, trying to get on a flight.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Do standard rewards that begin with a partner (non-AC metal) flight follow AC's fee for baggage as outlined in the fare, or does it generally include 1 piece up to 23 kg as is usually the case with international X fares?

What about itineraries that include a stopover, such as:
SQ (stopover) AC
Does the SQ segment on a standard reward get a free bag?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:04 pm

Baggage rules generally go by the rules of whoever you hand your luggage to
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Do standard rewards that begin with a partner (non-AC metal) flight follow AC's fee for baggage as outlined in the fare, or does it generally include 1 piece up to 23 kg as is usually the case with international X fares?

What about itineraries that include a stopover, such as:
SQ (stopover) AC
Does the SQ segment on a standard reward get a free bag?
Baggage Allowance on Aeroplan Y rewards vary greatly depending on the airlines involved. Checking the fare rules during the booking process will give you a detailed view of the Baggage Allowance for that itinerary
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:45 pm

Just booked sfo-yyz-cai one way on combo of ac and Ms metal. Website was not showing the combo of flights I wanted even though the individual segments were available.
So I had to call in to get an agent to book the tickets which they were able to for 98k ow in business. I booked these 360 days out.

I plan to add another leg (cai-Cdg) when that becomes available for the date I want (in about 12 days), making CAI my “stopover” and CDG my final destination. I could have tried to book this online but didn’t want to risk losing out on the sfo-cai portion.

was hoping i could do this online but the “change ticket “ button is greyed out. Not sure if this is because I booked the itinerary through an agent and not online.

the agent waived the booking fee but said it was an exception and even if I couldn’t book online they don’t typically do this.

when I’m ready to add on my last leg will this be considered another call center charge that I’ll need to ask to waive?

Anyone book an itinerary online and then successfully add a leg later and be Able to do this online without an agent?

hold Times were 45 min and the agent I got didn’t know anything and it took her 3 hours to ticket it. I tried HUCA and got the same agent!!

Last edited by kayexalate; Nov 16, 2022 at 11:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.