Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pschafer
As a newbie based in Sydney (Australia) looking at buying points under the current 100% bonus promo - I have a few questions which perhaps someone can asset with:-

1. would the following be valid using the one stopover for 5000 additional miles: SYD-YVR (stopover)- FRA? I thought I read that stopovers in North America were not allowed but I'm hoping this only applies if your origin is within North America. Likewise would SYD-YVR (stopover) - YYZ be valid?

2. Are awards with a stopover still only bookable by phone?

3. would the following (a bit off the wall) routing be valid: SYD-YVR (stopover) - NRT be valid?

Any advice would be most welcome. thanks.

1) Unfortunately no stopovers are petmitted whatsoever in Canada/US according to the new/current rules.

2) Correct.

3) That routing would be invalid, however SYD-NRT(stopover)-YVR/YYZ would be valid.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Mar 27, 2021 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
would SYD-YVR (stopover) - YYZ be valid?
Not yet, though I've been told they're still considering whether or not to add back the option for NA stopovers. You should be able to do a stop of <24 hrs at YVR in this scenario.

3. would the following (a bit off the wall) routing be valid: SYD-YVR (stopover) - NRT be valid?
No, that's too far, but SYD-NRT-YVR is legal, and you could get around the stopover issue in #1 if you do do SYD-NRT-YVR in business on partner metal for 85k (+5k for stopover at NRT) , then 25K for business YVR-YYZ.

Not a bad deal, since SYD-HND-YYZ would still cost 105k+5k on its own.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Many thanks for all the helpful replies - I guess I'm not surprised by the limitations on stopovers but of course some programs have loopholes so it never hurts to check (e.g Lifemiles in the good old days). My immediate interest is EY awards ex-SYD to/from the Seychelles which seems to me to be a nice sweet spot.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:12 pm

I noticed some information here mentioning stop overs are allowed if called by phone......Is that only for Elite members?

Our annual winter vacations I usually fly out of YWG into YYZ, YVR, ORD etc., a day earlier for the next flight because winter weather is always a guessing game. I just called Aeroplan and I was looking at taking a UNITED flight into ORD on a Thursday then grabbing the next flight out of ORD on Friday off to Asia. She said I cannot do that and it will cost extra points? Is that correct?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bravada04
I noticed some information here mentioning stop overs are allowed if called by phone......Is that only for Elite members?

Our annual winter vacations I usually fly out of YWG into YYZ, YVR, ORD etc., a day earlier for the next flight because winter weather is always a guessing game. I just called Aeroplan and I was looking at taking a UNITED flight into ORD on a Thursday then grabbing the next flight out of ORD on Friday off to Asia. She said I cannot do that and it will cost extra points? Is that correct?
@Bravada04

Info for you:

Originally Posted by opentag
(2).... stopovers can only be booked by phone currently......

"A stopover is defined as a stop of more than 24 hours in duration on your way from origin to destination. A stopover can be added to a one-way journey for an incremental 5,000 Aeroplan points." (source Prince of Travel https://princeoftravel.com/aeroplan-guide/ )

Would you be connecting / staying in ORD for more than 24 hours?

Are you also still referring to your mention in posts upthread about connecting onward to Japan or Taiwan for example?

Last edited by 24left; Mar 28, 2021 at 2:44 pm
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can't have a stopover in North America.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Wondering if this is a possibility

Trip is YYZ-TYO-return

I see on the way out of YYZ, one of the possibilities is YYZ-ZRH-NRT. That portion is 85K in J.

If I wanted to could I make a stopover in ZRH for an extra 5K thereby paying 90M for YYZ-ZRH/Stop-NRT?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:12 pm

Hi, no it wouldn't be over 24 hours. The past years if using miles I would get to YYZ or wherever a day before. Actually last year was a great example - left YWG to YUL to catch a Qatar flight the next day off to Cambodia. Major storm hit and if we wouldn't have left a day earlier we would not have made it to YUL.

I have been looking at getting on a ETIHAD flight out of ORD to BKK. I was thinking of booking it very early for next winter and take advantage of the cancellation policy right now just in case. Have no idea what the travel restrictions / world will be like in 10 months? She didn't mention anything about the 24 hours - just simply said stopovers are no longer allowed?

So I guess if I wanted to get to ORD on a Thursday mid afternoon or evening, I wouldn't be able to book the flight I want out on Friday if it is within 24 hours regardless?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg
Wondering if this is a possibility

Trip is YYZ-TYO-return

I see on the way out of YYZ, one of the possibilities is YYZ-ZRH-NRT. That portion is 85K in J.

If I wanted to could I make a stopover in ZRH for an extra 5K thereby paying 90M for YYZ-ZRH/Stop-NRT?
Should be fine, but agents and the system have been stupid for me lately.

Hi, no it wouldn't be over 24 hours. The past years if using miles I would get to YYZ or wherever a day before. Actually last year was a great example - left YWG to YUL to catch a Qatar flight the next day off to Cambodia. Major storm hit and if we wouldn't have left a day earlier we would not have made it to YUL.

I have been looking at getting on a ETIHAD flight out of ORD to BKK. I was thinking of booking it very early for next winter and take advantage of the cancellation policy right now just in case. Have no idea what the travel restrictions / world will be like in 10 months? She didn't mention anything about the 24 hours - just simply said stopovers are no longer allowed?
If it's less than 24 hours, it's not a stopover.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:19 pm

Got it! If it's less than 24 hours then it is not considered a stop over. (I guess the agent did not explain that) Thanks very much!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:48 pm

Don't quote me on this (as I've only read it on blogs), but I believe the maximum scheduled US/CAN layover is now 12 hours.

By that I mean a layover you arrange and schedule over the phone.

(It might be that the website will offer you a longer break between flights.)
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by kalderlake
Don't quote me on this (as I've only read it on blogs), but I believe the maximum scheduled US/CAN layover is now 12 hours.

By that I mean a layover you arrange and schedule over the phone.

(It might be that the website will offer you a longer break between flights.)
i've read this too. At the international gateway, you can have a max 24 hours of layover. domestic to domestic or domestic to US get the usual treatment as a revenue ticket, max 4 hours of layover or the next flight out if the next one exceeds four hours

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:48 pm

Got it! If it's less than 24 hours then it is not considered a stop over. (I guess the agent did not explain that) Thanks very much!
it depends the kind of layover.

domestic to domestic or domestic to us, it's 4 hours or the next flight out;
international gateway is still 24 hours max;

the rule aligns with revenue ticket.

Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
i've read this too. At the international gateway, you can have a max 24 hours of layover. domestic to domestic or domestic to US get the usual treatment as a revenue ticket, max 4 hours of layover or the next flight out if the next one exceeds four hours

So if I've read that correctly, you can schedule a sub-24 hour layover at a US/CAN city as long as it is the city from which you're taking an international flight?

Notes on connection timing

- All domestic-to-domestic and domestic-to-transborder connections are normally limited to 4 hours or less, but there’s currently a COVID exemption bumping this up to 10 hours to account for lower flight frequency.

- All international and domestic-to-international connections are limited to 24 hours or less.

- For example: on YOW-YYZ-YVR-HKG-SIN, the YYZ stop is 4 hours (currently 10) or less, while the YVR and HKG stops are each 24 hours or less.

- On the example above, you can pay an extra 5,000 points (and book by phone) to add a stop-over at HKG of as long as you’d like, but the stop-over option is not available within North America. When I asked whether the North American stop-over option might return in the future, Nasr made a point of saying he “can’t make a commitment on North American stopovers right now”. Which I’m reading as “the answer isn’t yes, but it isn’t no yet either."
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
5k stop over program

Is anyone familiar with the stopover for an extra 5k miles?

I called AP for a flight MNL - IST (1 way) with a stopover in YVR and I was quoted 2X 1 way miles (160K)

I thought this would just be 80K miles + 5K.

Is my itinerary wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.