Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:23 pm

Also, maybe it is the principle depending if AC remits everything they collect, or if they only need to remit what passengers fly. Seems a bit shady to be padding their bottom line with tax miscalculations.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zappy312
Also, maybe it is the principle depending if AC remits everything they collect, or if they only need to remit what passengers fly. Seems a bit shady to be padding their bottom line with tax miscalculations.
I suspect on something like this, AC would just remit it, and the government would receive it, and neither of them would realize they had over-collected. I doubt AC has some second system calculating what they actually owe the government. If the Amadeus ticketing module says they owe the government $76.48 (well, it's actually 52 or so), that's likely what they report and pay to the government.

If someone who understood the rules did an audit, and was paying attention, they might catch this and it might get adjusted, but I suspect the odds of that are quite small.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
or whether they've been able to get refunds for improperly collected tax amounts.
Under the old system, I had one charge me incorrect taxes (ended up being for airport that was not on my ticket any longer, voluntary change as a better route opened). I paid it knowing something was off. I called back in when the email arrived and they manually recalculated/refunded. Instead of just refunding $x.xx, it took them over an hour and 3 tries to calculate it to something agreeable (within 10% or so of $x.xx) using whatever slide rule/abacus they had.

I had another ticket further back where I wasn't as diligent in you in noticing an overcharge. Fairly high taxes & fees for a PNR with 2 or 3 different carriers, but I chalked it up to a a small price to pay to fly other carriers. I did a voluntary change to a strictly UA/AC routing the day before travel, and only then did I read there was a $300 a person YQ carrier fuel surcharge. 3 of the 4 pax were refunded as soon as I called in, the 4th request had to be escalated a few times after travel.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Reminds me of when I paid YQ for LH and had a "suggested" (I was flying SFO-MUC-ZRH, so they really wanted me to take the non-stop after my flight was delayed) reroute.

Aeroplan would not even consider refunding the YQ.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:10 am
zam

Leg cheaper

One of the AC legs on my trip is now pricing lower than when I booked it. No issue with change fees but will trying to get the call center to change it affect the pricing on the other direction which was booked on AC metal but in X?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:23 pm

Question What is the rule?

I haven't understood what the rule is when booking partner flights with segments on more than one partner. I have a AP J class ticket PER to BKK on TG connecting with an Oman Air flight J class BKK to MCT--80,000 points cost as per the chart. Oman Air now has a later flight the same day (within 24 hours) with first class available which, if I could change to, would make the trip 100,000 points according to the chart. The PER to BKK segment is no longer available for a new booking and I want to keep this portion that I already have. When I called in to ask for the change on the BKK to MCt segment I was told that it could not be ticketed and that it would only be possible if the whole routing became available once again. Is this what is known as a "married segment"? Should I have just HUCA? Are there some rules at work that I don't understand yet? If I went for a flex fare rather than low would it make a difference? Or is what I have as good as it can get wiithout some new flights being released by the airlines?

Last edited by RobDN; Jul 14, 2022 at 10:30 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
HUCA. You're right in that the whole itinerary would be priced as a first class award.

It could be a married segment issue, but likely not. To see, try searching for the segments individually on AP first. Also, I haven't heard of Oman Air marrying their segments
Argonaut1000 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:00 am

HUCA worked like a charm (other than being on hold for 25 minutes). Change went through quickly and without any concerns. So strange to be told the first time that the change was not possible and then it being easy on the next call.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:19 am

There's times in new AP when they need to refish availability for the entire booking when making a change, which is likely the issue you encountered.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Aeroplan Stopover Rule?

Hello,

I'm looking to book an Aeroplan award flight in April 2023 from Sydney, Australia (SYD) to London, Ontario (YXU) using Aeroplan's generous stop over rule with me stopping over in Zrich, Switzerland (ZRH) for 2 weeks. On the dates I am looking to travel there is partner J availability. I read some blog posts which noted that this must be booked over the phone as the Aeroplan website doesn't support such bookings right now. However, when I tried calling to make the booking I was told such a booking was impossible first because I exceeded maximum distance and now today because I am crossing IATA zones in the booking (i.e. Zone 3 to 2 to 1).

I thought I'd get some clarification from the experts here to see if the agents are right or if there is something else I need to do?

Your Trusty,

KangarooFlyer88
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
Hello,

I'm looking to book an Aeroplan award flight in April 2023 from Sydney, Australia (SYD) to London, Ontario (YXU) using Aeroplan's generous stop over rule with me stopping over in Zrich, Switzerland (ZRH) for 2 weeks. On the dates I am looking to travel there is partner J availability. I read some blog posts which noted that this must be booked over the phone as the Aeroplan website doesn't support such bookings right now. However, when I tried calling to make the booking I was told such a booking was impossible first because I exceeded maximum distance and now today because I am crossing IATA zones in the booking (i.e. Zone 3 to 2 to 1).

I thought I'd get some clarification from the experts here to see if the agents are right or if there is something else I need to do?

Your Trusty,

KangarooFlyer88
What was the exact routing you were trying to book?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
What was the exact routing you were trying to book?
Specifically I'm looking to book the following: SYD (Origin) > MEL > AUH > ZRH (stopover) > GVA > YUL > YYZ > YYZ > YXU (final destination). All flights aside from YYZ > YXU are showing saver J availability.

-RooFlyer88
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
Specifically I'm looking to book the following: SYD (Origin) > MEL > AUH > ZRH (stopover) > GVA > YUL > YYZ > YYZ > YXU (final destination). All flights aside from YYZ > YXU are showing saver J availability.

-RooFlyer88
When dynamic pricing is in play for AC flights, AC requires the itinerary to be validated against the routing rules of the underlying cash fare. I doubt this would be a valid routing for a cash SYD-YXU fare.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
When dynamic pricing is in play for AC flights, AC requires the itinerary to be validated against the routing rules of the underlying cash fare. I doubt this would be a valid routing for a cash SYD-YXU fare.
Thanks for the prompt reply here. One other question if I may ask. Suppose I was to find an all partner award such as: SYD (origin) > MEL > AUH > ZRH (stopover) > YUL (final destination) would that also require validation or could it be booked out directly for 110K miles?

-RooFlyer88
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Maybe try to call again? With new hires, they may not be aware of stopovers or put them in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.