Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by tylerc
The agents can book it, but it prices as 2 separate flights when YYZ LIS FAO is clearing within the 60k mileage range, so it should be a fixed rate partner redemption to Europe under 4k miles.

If I stopped for 24hrs a d paid the 5k stop fee there wouldn't be a charge for the 2nd flight, according to one agent. Whick makes sense. Partner awards are based on total distance flown. One agent referred to piecing together segments as cherry picking...as far as I can tell AC is not playing by their program rules.
Starting to look like it's morphing into what United MP is now...
Old May 24, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Married segments would mean one is not available without booking the other with it.

So a to c via b is good but a to b or b to c alone is not.

Seems like in this case both segments are available but cant be married by AE for some reason.

OP check if the itinerary comes up via other search engines like United, Lifemiles or Aegean. That will tell you if it's an AC issue.
Thanks, doesn't come up on UA, so not an AC search engine issue. However, an agent can book both on one PNR, so Aeroplan partner award rules should apply regardless of whether or not their search engine displays it. I haven't had an issue like this building itineraries segment by segment...
Old May 24, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
"cherry picking" is definitely allowed. For a thought experiment, I wonder what would happen if you called in to book a stopover itinerary and then change it?

E.g. don't call in asking for two separate connecting one ways - call in asking for a stopover booking. Then once the agent pieces together those flights and quotes you the correct one way +5k price say you changed your mind and you actually want them back to back to save the 5k. Maybe the agents just need to be heavily handheld to do this if they can't do it on their own.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
"cherry picking" is definitely allowed. For a thought experiment, I wonder what would happen if you called in to book a stopover itinerary and then change it?

E.g. don't call in asking for two separate connecting one ways - call in asking for a stopover booking. Then once the agent pieces together those flights and quotes you the correct one way +5k price say you changed your mind and you actually want them back to back to save the 5k. Maybe the agents just need to be heavily handheld to do this if they can't do it on their own.
No go on this approach, but great idea!

I called about half hour after initial booking and they had system errors, escalated to ticketing and to a supervisor and no one could make it work - TAP is blocking combinability on YYZ-LIS-FAO for some strange reason.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Thanks, couldn't find it anymore. Mhmmm... Sucks that free cancellation is gone, but oh well.
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I was just going to ask about the free cancellation - so one would now have to make sure to book the higher rate awards then in order to cancel and get a full refund?
FYI they extended unlimited changes to June 30th now.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:02 pm

Routing question

Hey! I'm hoping someone can help with this, as I've been saving up Aeroplan points for a long time(I don't fly that much) and I want to treat my fiancee to a nice trip.

Is it possible to do the following on business class:
We are starting in Edmonton, wanting to go to Sydney, Australia with a stopover in Tokyo. So our flight routing would be:
YEG-YVR-HND(NRT)-SYD,.

The actual miles flown would be about 10,200.
Can we get this routing for 85k+5k stopover fee(flying ANA from YVR to HND/NRT?

If so, that would be perfect. As, I have just over 180k Aeroplan miles.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by putadshere
Hey! I'm hoping someone can help with this, as I've been saving up Aeroplan points for a long time(I don't fly that much) and I want to treat my fiancee to a nice trip.

Is it possible to do the following on business class:
We are starting in Edmonton, wanting to go to Sydney, Australia with a stopover in Tokyo. So our flight routing would be:
YEG-YVR-HND(NRT)-SYD,.

The actual miles flown would be about 10,200.
Can we get this routing for 85k+5k stopover fee(flying ANA from YVR to HND/NRT?

If so, that would be perfect. As, I have just over 180k Aeroplan miles.
That should be bookable. Where you may get thwarted is from dynamic pricing on the AC YEG-YVR segment. As soon as you add AC metal dynamic pricing cuts in and it can work for you or against you, and sometimes the against you numbers are very high. You could consider getting yourselves to Vancouver on cash tickets to eliminate the AC flights if dynamic pricing isn't working, and go ANA or other AP partners from there.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by RobDN
That should be bookable. Where you may get thwarted is from dynamic pricing on the AC YEG-YVR segment. As soon as you add AC metal dynamic pricing cuts in and it can work for you or against you, and sometimes the against you numbers are very high.
And the fact that adding AC will mean this has to be a valid routing to AC's liking...
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:30 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is Aeroplan call center system the same as AC.com in terms of results/choices being displayed?

Had a hard time trying to get relatively simple flight options booked. Specifically united.com shows result with longer layover but AC.com and Aeroplan agent don't see them, when forcing the the flights it then price as 2 awards instead of 1.

Was trying one way YYZ-YUL-YVR-TPE, where the YYZ-YUL has I class but has 10+ connection at YUL, and this doesn't work for AC for some reason and they only display higher (dynamic points) AC flights to choose from. Is there any workaround to this?

Ended up dropping YYZ-YUL and will just call to change when YYZ-YVR I seat opens
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Hey everyone! I've been reading through this thread and I still have no idea how this stuff works (although I do know I have to call in to aeroplan to book flights). I'm trying to book a trip from YYZ to MLE and back, but I don't quite know how to use the cowtool. I've seen different routing in other posts, like this: YYZ-AUH-MLE, then MLE-BAH-ATH-YYZ, but checking the cowtool says it'll take 3 days to get to AUH. What am I doing wrong? How to I book individual direct flights?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by menna
Hey everyone! I've been reading through this thread and I still have no idea how this stuff works (although I do know I have to call in to aeroplan to book flights). I'm trying to book a trip from YYZ to MLE and back, but I don't quite know how to use the cowtool. I've seen different routing in other posts, like this: YYZ-AUH-MLE, then MLE-BAH-ATH-YYZ, but checking the cowtool says it'll take 3 days to get to AUH. What am I doing wrong? How to I book individual direct flights?
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but keep in mind that for non-AC flights, you need award inventory to be available in order to book a flight. The Cowtool is likely giving you long routings because it's piecing together flights that have award availability.

Maybe give us more of an idea of what you're trying to do, and we can give a little more guidance.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by menna

How far out/dates are you trying to book? It's very likely you're just not seeing the "best" routings available because they've already been booked if you're not booking them 11 months or so from now.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jix
Is Aeroplan call center system the same as AC.com in terms of results/choices being displayed?

Had a hard time trying to get relatively simple flight options booked. Specifically united.com shows result with longer layover but AC.com and Aeroplan agent don't see them, when forcing the the flights it then price as 2 awards instead of 1.

Was trying one way YYZ-YUL-YVR-TPE, where the YYZ-YUL has I class but has 10+ connection at YUL, and this doesn't work for AC for some reason and they only display higher (dynamic points) AC flights to choose from. Is there any workaround to this?

Ended up dropping YYZ-YUL and will just call to change when YYZ-YVR I seat opens
I think you may need to be careful about your plan.
If you decide to add YYZ-YVR, I think it will cause AC to reprice the entire trip. The dynamically priced YYZ-YVR-TPE may cost more than you expect.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:27 am

Does dropping a leg with no other changes also cause AC to reprice the trip?

A-B-C is 40k, B-C (TPAC) is 80k. If I book A-B-C and ask to drop A-B, will that reprice or incur change fees?

B-C is AC metal, A-B is partner (and why I think it's causing it to be cheaper, as A-B and B-C both have Saver availability but the 80k AC is quoting for B-C is the top of the dynamic range for their award chart)

Last edited by Zwiebelbauer; Jun 9, 2022 at 2:29 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
B-C is AC metal, A-B is partner (and why I think it's causing it to be cheaper, as A-B and B-C both have Saver availability but the 80k AC is quoting for B-C is the top of the dynamic range for their award chart)
Anything involving AC will be repriced using current dynamic pricing. Not change fees, but new points pricing.
You will need to get yourself to A in order to enjoy the 40k price

Its a lot easier when you only need A-B but A-B-C prices less ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.